• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek Philippe 5524G Pilot Watch - In-depth review (picture heavy)

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
As mentioned above, you should stop doing these reviews..

You are becoming the king of reviews, since in addition to all the effort you put into them you add a plus by including high quality straps and the watch looks completely different.

Such a great review and thank you very much for adding so much in this community!

Hehe thanks mate. It's a wonderful comment from you. Thanks a lot. I like combining the watches with different strap colors. Off course you need the standard combinations in your collection like for example RG with brown strap, but when you have those, you are free to play with the colors/types :)

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Cracking review Sir!

Takes me back to some of the old DC reviews, unfortunately having children has rather used up my spare time and meant that I haven’t don’t one in a while... to be fair I also hadn’t been sufficiently excited by an accurate rep (RMs are great but let’s be honest an accurate RM is a long way off yet)!

Keep up the good work!!

DC

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Very enjoyable read. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Cracking review Sir!

Takes me back to some of the old DC reviews, unfortunately having children has rather used up my spare time and meant that I haven’t don’t one in a while... to be fair I also hadn’t been sufficiently excited by an accurate rep (RMs are great but let’s be honest an accurate RM is a long way off yet)!

Keep up the good work!!

DC

Thanks sir! Coming from you it truly means a lot! I myself have had great pleasure in reading your reviews. Not to mention that your reviews (along with Godfathar 's has been a great inspiration), because they where thorough and with your opinion - based on experience and great taste - shining through.
I understand about the time issue. I myself have a child, but my work situation atm gives me flexibility, so i can invest some time into this hobby. I enjoy writing these reviews, it really makes me love the watch more!
Lets see how long it will last :) Our watches keep time, but don't give us more time.

I agree with you, i am also wishing for a good rep or two. Personally i wouldn't mind them repping the Philippe Dufour Simplicity (wishful thinking).

Last edited:
Reactions: Godfathar

fake64

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/4/07
Awesome review jm_brc_7057, you really do set the bar with your review threads!! Does the watch wear big or small?? Any chance you have a speedy to compare the size, been thinking about pulling the trigger on this for a while!

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Awesome review jm_brc_7057, you really do set the bar with your review threads!! Does the watch wear big or small?? Any chance you have a speedy to compare the size, been thinking about pulling the trigger on this for a while!

Thanks mate. I don't have a speedy, but it wears smaller than a 40mm submariner for example.

Reactions: fake64

klockjohan

El Patron
5/12/15
EU
Incredibly detailed review and at the same time just the right focus areas. It is a great skill to review the essence and feel of a rep, without getting stuck in minor flaws.

I am definitely looking closer at this watch.

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Incredibly detailed review and at the same time just the right focus areas. It is a great skill to review the essence and feel of a rep, without getting stuck in minor flaws.

I am definitely looking closer at this watch.

Thanks for the nice words mate. We must make som compromises if we want a rep of a rare Patek Philippe. We can't have it all. It's important to have that in mind when reviewing it.

KalKala

27/11/18
Thanks for the review and excellent photos.
For me the local/away indicators not working and the fixed gmt hand are already a big NO-NO. I do not also get from your review if the real movement on these replicas has been encased in a fake movement covering plate, with fake screws and fake jewels. This practice I disapprove: all the efforts they put on creating this art piece they should put in decorating the actual parts if not cloning the original movement; besides for any regulation or small maintenance work you have to completely disassemble the watch to remove the fake plate and access the actual regulator... But it looks very nice!

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thanks for the review and excellent photos.
For me the local/away indicators not working and the fixed gmt hand are already a big NO-NO. I do not also get from your review if the real movement on these replicas has been encased in a fake movement covering plate, with fake screws and fake jewels. This practice I disapprove: all the efforts they put on creating this art piece they should put in decorating the actual parts if not cloning the original movement; besides for any regulation or small maintenance work you have to completely disassemble the watch to remove the fake plate and access the actual regulator... But it looks very nice!
I understand about the non functionality. Although you cant do it anyway other than putting decoration plates on the movement. Which is how it's done here.
The decoration of the movements own parts can be done but then you wont have the same shape or structure as the gen. The Miyota comes with certain configuration limits. And it's used in many reps. So you would have the decoration correct but the shape and placement and structure would be wrong.

KalKala

27/11/18
Yep, I've got that: usually these plates although looking fine are adding thickness to the watch and as I said are creating a nuisance to reach the movement. IMO they do not add anything to the replica if not a very casual look. As you look closely you will notice the real regulator beneath the fake one and other details, besides the NEAT GOLD TESTED in which they persist (errare humanum est, perseverare autem diabolicum). I will not be concerned if the movement is not looking the same as the original: it will be enough to have some CORRECT engravings...

Desmond20052000

21/3/17
The only thing stopping me to get this watch is the hour hand color (should be blue at the centre), and the nonadjustable GMT hand. It would also be great of the GMT hand turns 12 hours per round (not 24 hours per round). Hopefully another factory would give this a crack.

Reactions: SuperBatman

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Yep, I've got that: usually these plates although looking fine are adding thickness to the watch and as I said are creating a nuisance to reach the movement. IMO they do not add anything to the replica if not a very casual look. As you look closely you will notice the real regulator beneath the fake one and other details, besides the NEAT GOLD TESTED in which they persist (errare humanum est, perseverare autem diabolicum). I will not be concerned if the movement is not looking the same as the original: it will be enough to have some CORRECT engravings...

That is how you would like it. And I respect your point of view. Although the argument of decoration plates making the watch thicker doesn't apply here, as the watch is within few percentage in thickness to gen.

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
The only thing stopping me to get this watch is the hour hand color (should be blue at the centre), and the nonadjustable GMT hand. It would also be great of the GMT hand turns 12 hours per round (not 24 hours per round). Hopefully another factory would give this a crack.

Yeah the functionality of the GMT hand is missing. If they had a movement for that or could modify a current movement it would be exceptional. But realistically I don't see an updated version of this watch the next years. If you look at the patterns for rare Patek watches for the last few years. This is not an aquanaut or nautilus. Other than that you see updated versions of calatravas and annual calendars. But looks unlikely for the kind of watch in question.

The color of the hand is a small but stupid error. I agree. Although it can be modified.

mess1955

17/7/13
United States
Fell in love with the exterior and when combined with the name PP, i was on it in a nano second.

I am troubled by the inability to set the skleton hand and the white/blue indicator which should be automatic.

I et asked all the time and when I let people try it on its always a 'gotta get one', until they research the price.

Any idea when a fully functional will be released.

Great job.

Mitch