• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek Philippe 5524G Pilot Watch - In-depth review (picture heavy)

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Fell in love with the exterior and when combined with the name PP, i was on it in a nano second.

I am troubled by the inability to set the skleton hand and the white/blue indicator which should be automatic.

I et asked all the time and when I let people try it on its always a 'gotta get one', until they research the price.

Any idea when a fully functional will be released.

Great job.

Mitch

It's a very nice watch but not functional. I'm not aware of any movement that has the date hand at 6 and a functional GMT hand. And they are unlikely to make a clone movement for this watch as they do for the Rolexes. My best guess is, that we won't see it.
The white/blue indicators (am/pm function) is a long shot. No current movements with that module.

Desmond20052000

21/3/17
I'm kinda hoping ZF would give this a crack, as they have released quite a few nice PP this year. On top of the functions that worked on the correct model, if they got these items right/working I'd be very happy to pay:

1. White hand - 12 hours per revolution
2. White hand - blued center
3. Adjustable white hand through the crown or the pushers
4. Correct buckle

The day/night indication would be a huge bonus but I doubt if that could be done.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I'm kinda hoping ZF would give this a crack, as they have released quite a few nice PP this year. On top of the functions that worked on the correct model, if they got these items right/working I'd be very happy to pay:

1. White hand - 12 hours per revolution
2. White hand - blued center
3. Adjustable white hand through the crown or the pushers
4. Correct buckle

The day/night indication would be a huge bonus but I doubt if that could be done.

Mate what i've seen around here and learned about Patek's from the people with a long experience in this game is; if you like a watch and there is a good rep (=aesthetically) for it - buy it, and enjoy it for a few years. If you keep waiting for it to be functional, it will be a long wait. The complications are difficult to make. Patek is the wrong the brand to look for perfection in. Patek doesn't have the demand as Rolex, Omega, AP etc have. The Nautilus and Aquanaut are the only Pateks that have new versions released all the time. The others - even the Calatravas release rarely. Look for instance at the 5227, it took ZF 2-3 years after BP and the other factory released their versions. And complicated Pateks are difficult to make. The movements aren't available. We don't know if they will make clone movements of the complicated Pateks.
It's really a matter of compromise and take it for what it is.

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
Mate what i've seen around here and learned about Patek's from the people with a long experience in this game is; if you like a watch and there is a good rep (=aesthetically) for it - buy it, and enjoy it for a few years. If you keep waiting for it to be functional, it will be a long wait. The complications are difficult to make. Patek is the wrong the brand to look for perfection in. Patek doesn't have the demand as Rolex, Omega, AP etc have. The Nautilus and Aquanaut are the only Pateks that have new versions released all the time. The others - even the Calatravas release rarely. Look for instance at the 5227, it took ZF 2-3 years after BP and the other factory released their versions. And complicated Pateks are difficult to make. The movements aren't available. We don't know if they will make clone movements of the complicated Pateks.
It's really a matter of compromise and take it for what it is.

No one can say it better, and that applies on all PP reps.. buy, enjoy, and if you get to see something better in the future, sell the old, buy the new.. as simple as that..

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
No one can say it better, and that applies on all PP reps.. buy, enjoy, and if you get to see something better in the future, sell the old, buy the new.. as simple as that..

Thanks mate. To be honest it's you among others I have learned this from as my experience is not so long in the game.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Well well well gents!

The mods have now been done.

1. The GMT hand has been painted blue in the central part.
2. It has gotten an AR-coated sapphire crystal. The modder told me that this watch had a cheap mineral crystal on it. And that really explains why it reflected so much. It didn't make sense to AR-coat a mineral crystal. So we went for a single AR-coated japanese sapphire crystal.

Here are the before-after:

IMG-20200110-WA0003.jpg

20191022-122115.jpg
IMG-20200110-WA0002.jpg
20191022-171257.jpg

IMG-20200110-WA0001.jpg

20191113-182552.jpg

The watch is on it's way back to me and i'm more than excited :D

The stock crystal in this watch is 35.5mm x 1.24mm. It wasn't easy to find a crystal with that exact measurements, so it has got a 1.5mm crystal. The gen has a pretty thick extruding crystal, so i think it will be okay. I'll post some more before/after and gen-comparison pictures once i get it.

Many thanks to Logixa for a great job :D :D

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperBatman

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I just received the watch today. Here are the pictures after the mods: 1. Crystal change. 2. The central part of the GMT hand has been painted metallic blue.

In daylight:
20200115-150531.jpg

Depth of the rehaut can really be seen now:
20200115-151031.jpg

Indoor in normal light:
20200115-154945.jpg

20200115-155006.jpg

Indoor under spotlights:
20200115-155321.jpg

20200115-155323.jpg

And finally i could feel the watch has become a little heavier. Now it's at 90grams. The gen is whitegold, which is a heavier material than steel. The stock crystal was very light.
20200115-152906.jpg

The good thing about this crystal is, that it's very "Patek" like. It doesn't look AR-coated, doesn't have a blue hue or anything. Very gen-like (i've seen the gen, it reflects a bit also).

Logixa Great job by logixa. Very grateful.

Godfathar I've tagged you mate because you wanted to see how it would look if it could be done.

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Here a comment on the dimensions of the watch. The diameter confirmed at 42mm like the gen:

Gen height is: 10,78mm without crystal. Around 11mm with crystal.
The height w/crystal, which is 0,25mm thicker than the stock crystal the watch comes with:

Without the crystal the height is 11,76mm. The watch is therefore 1mm thicker over all than the gen.

My watch's crystal height compared to gen:

[url=https://postimg.cc/McmtZ5yp]

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
How about a shot of your entire collection at this time?

I very much like your taste in watches.

Thanks mate. I've been asked that and i will do it :)
Problem is i only have have 9 of them at home.
1 gen has gone for repair under warranty, 2 reps have their crystals gone to US for AR-coating, 1 rep is gone to Netherlands for datewheel overlay, and i have 2 reps incoming.

The gen will be back in february. But i'm hoping to have all the reps back in the end of january maybe. Will do it then :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mello and fake64

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you for the fantastic review jm_brc_7057
I have the gen 5524 on order now with the loca boutique and I’ll also order the rep and share my thoughts when the watch arrives (mostly about how close the gen is/isn’t)

I appreciate your review thanks mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and XLR8R