• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5711 Mod advice

Tgz

Known Member
21/4/19
Hey guys,

Im in a bit of a bind and need your advice on this.

I ordered a white PF 5711 watch, along with a PPF dial hands set/Keylog DWO. The PPF dial that was sent to me did NOT come with QC pics from my TD - that was mistake number 1 on my part.

Anyways, fast forward to now. I sent the Watch/dial/hands/Keylog to a recommend watch smith on this site and he installed the Dial/hands/DWO and he did a wonderful job - the only problem is the Date window boarder on the PPF dial is insanely misaligned. (not my watch smiths fault, it came from he factory this way). I was unaware of the defect but unfortunately he installed the dial before sending me the QC pics where I noticed the defect.

I contacted my TD and he said he would refund me for the PPF dial, but he can't get a hold of a new one for me now. I also contacted a few other TD's and everyone says it would take them a few months.

So now my options are 1) accpept the with as is, with messed up PPF dial, DWO and PPF hands installed.

or 2) (if its possible) Reinstall the original PF dial, and hope the DWO works and keep the PPF hands installed.

My question is, what do you think the best thing to do in this situation would be? Will the PPF hands clash with PF dial if I reinstalled the original dial? Should I just swap everything back to PF spec? Will my DWO for PPF dial even be compatible with PF dial?

Thanks for the help.

TG

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Can you live with it for a few months while sourcing another one?

The datewheel will be slightly different unfortunately

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
Pics?
white or blue version?
PPF and PF datewheels are pretty close in size. The keylog PPF dwo looked fine with my PF dial

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Hello Tgz, it sounds like you started a project I am just getting started on. It's a great idea and I have a question for you. Which TD sourced the PPF dial and hands?

I have a PF blue dial complete watch and want to mod it the same way as you but with a PPF V2 blue dial and hands and keylog date wheel as well.

Also which TDs have said they can get the PPF dial and hands but that it would take a month? I'm ok with the wait time since I am not in your situation with the misalignment. I'm sorry I don't have any advice about that but I would echo what Tobel said and just be patient while the TD gets you the new parts. But which TD????? Lol please let us know!

Thanks

Tgz

Known Member
21/4/19
tangokilo Too complicated to switch back to PF dial. Just going to live with the messed up ppf dial until I can find a new one and get it replaced. Might even trade the watch I’m not sure yet.

I got the original dial from toro and it’s the white. But would not use him for parts as he doesn’t send QC on parts which is why I’m in the situation I’m currently in.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Hi Tgz, too late I already bought the dial and hands from him! Can you explain how the misalignment could have been avoided if you had QC pics?

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
I can still contact Toro and ask him to check whatever the issue you had with your dial misalignment was before he ships. I just ordered yesterday so there is time but I need to tell him what to look for.

sam_7

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/10/19
How can I buy the ppf white dial + hands ?

best greets

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Of all the TDs I contacted Toro said he could get it in a couple of days.

sam_7

10/10/19
Thank you, where did you contact him ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

Tgz

Known Member
21/4/19
Guys. I bought the dial from toro. And it was still messed up. I pleaded with him multiple times to make sure it looks good and he said it will and I ended up with a shit dial. He does not send QC and is not able to reject and swap with factory if someone rejects a dial. What he gets - is what you will get. Good luck.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Tgz, can you tell us what the QC pics would have helped you avoid? You say the date opening is not aligned properly. But how would a QC pic help you with that if it's just a QC pic of the dial? Wouldn't you only be able to determine the alignment after installing everything on the complete watch?

If you tellme what to look for on the dial then perhaps I can persuade Toro to check those things before he ships.

Tgz

Known Member
21/4/19
The black Boarder of the date window was sitting about 2mm lower than it should. It is severely misaligned and very easy to spot and he still sent me to it. I don’t think you’re getting what I’m trying to say to you... you cannot reject a part - hence no QC. The dial he gets will be shipped to you, regardless of what it looks like.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
But again like I said how would you have known from a QC pic that the date window was sitting lower than it should be. It seems you would only be able to tell that once everything is put together.

Once you received the dial, and if you knew it was off, why did you send it to the modder???

otabaru

7/3/18
Please, I am considering to purchase a white dial 5711 rep, PPF factory, but I don´t understand the question here.
You ordered a white dial 5711 rep from one factory/TD and also ordered just a white dial, hands set and DWO from another factory(PPF)/TD, why ???
What would I miss if I just order the 5711 PPF rep with a white dial?

Last edited:

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
This is perplexing, what could've gone wrong in this scenario? What or who is to blame? In a normal situation, if a specific dial is ordered and a specific DWO for that dial is ordered, everything should be okay to acceptable standards. A lot of questions needs to be answered here though, Tgz , can you provide pictures of your watch? Other questions are, did torobravo send a PPF dial and if the correct PPF DWO from Spongebob was sent? Even if Tgz was sent QC picture(s), how can he be sure if it's the correct dial? Precise measurements have to made and the proper dimensions aren't available to him. Keylog74 , BIONONE , do you guys have any comments?

BIONONE

28/4/17
the black border is attached to the dial - if it isn't aligned properly it is the only logical consequence that the perfectly aligned DWO doesn't show completely.

I think this is what happened here - DWOs are all printed equally and are aligned perfectly under a magnification of 50x - if a DWO doesn't line up as it should with the DW cut out the issue lays in the assembly and installation of the DWO on top of the DW itself.

Hope that helps. Bad QC can lead to such complications but if the border is just misaligned it could be fixed i guess.

Reactions: gilrob

Tgz

Known Member
21/4/19
Keylog fits well and has no issues. Hands fit well. Just dial has a big manufacture defect.