• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken Patek 5712 Project

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Awesome project, one of the best I’ve ever seen around there. Congrats buddy ;)

Reactions: jptrosch

XLR8R

Renowned Member
16/8/18
I think it was mentioned earlier as well but, you could get a 5055, pull the movement get a 5712 dial and put that in rep case. Very costly an option tho just for a 240 caliber.

Same thing goes for 5015 cheaper than the 5055

Loverolie34

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/8/20
It's one of the most interesting projects I've seen, there's so much potential and you don't stop along the way.
I'm really happy for you the project is progressing well, can't wait to see it on your wrist!

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
I think it was mentioned earlier as well but, you could get a 5055, pull the movement get a 5712 dial and put that in rep case. Very costly an option tho just for a 240 caliber.

I think if I’d had the option to buy a fully working caliber 240 I would never have started this project. Part of the journey was taking something that barely had any value as parts and transforming it into something else.

That being said, taking a caliber 240 from a cheaper model and transplanting it would have spared me a lot of stress. The only issue is the finishing and engraving is different.

This link goes through the differences pretty well:
https://www.watchprosite.com/patek-...high-end-patek-movements/11.1240336.10258681/

Last edited:
Reactions: jm_brc_7057

mjmj

Supporter
3/11/09
This is really an amazing journey. Well done to your perseverance and dedication to this project. Thank you for sharing.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I think if I’d had the option to buy a fully working caliber 240 I would never have started this project. Part of the journey was taking something that barely had any value as parts and transforming it into something else.

That being said, taking a caliber 240 from a cheaper model and transplanting it would have spared me a lot of stress. The only issue is the finishing and engraving is different.

This link goes through the differences pretty well:
https://www.watchprosite.com/patek-...high-end-patek-movements/11.1240336.10258681/

The difference in finishing is very visible on macros. The reason is that the high end pieces are made by their master watchmakers. It's therefore no surprise, but it's kind of disappointing, when you look at what the independents (fx F. P. Journe) or A. Lange & S are doing at a lower price point than Patek.

It's off course caused by a higher annual prodution number, so they focus on the quantity, than quality on the lower price range pieces. It's an explanation, but not an excuse. They should be able to uphold the level of quality even though they increase the production numbers, but don't to keep the profit margins up.

Historically they went away from the Geneva seal and created the Patek seal, and market this move as the Patek seal means higher quality on their movements than required by the Geneva seal. But in reality it's on the contrary regarding the timepieces that are not grand complications or rare handcrafts.

Cosmograph4Ever

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
3/3/20
jptrosch have you guys already found a solution for the pusher / corrector situation with the midcase? :)

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
jptrosch have you guys already found a solution for the pusher / corrector situation with the midcase? :)

My watchmaker is looking into ordering some generic correctors that look and act the part from one of the aftermarket parts suppliers. A fellow forum member actually pointed them out to me on cousinsUK but they were out of the correct size. At this point it's just a matter of time. None of the issues that remain are anywhere near as problematic as the ones we've managed to solve.

Cosmograph4Ever

INMATE
3/3/20
My watchmaker is looking into ordering some generic correctors that look and act the part from one of the aftermarket parts suppliers. A fellow forum member actually pointed them out to me on cousinsUK but they were out of the correct size. At this point it's just a matter of time. None of the issues that remain are anywhere near as problematic as the ones we've managed to solve.

Completely agree. Chapeau to the progress so far. A truly unique project that will last you forever.

J3DD

28/7/20
MB, Canada
Whole thread is like one of those great youtube video series you find and glad it's almost done and you just waiting for the last few episodes lol.

Wish you the best of luck, partner. Can't wait to see the finish product.

repbaby

Looking Around
30/8/20
This is the most interesting and exciting project I've come across. Takes a lot of patience and perseverance! Very cool guy.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Amazing build. Comparing the beginning of thread and the above movement pics, its like night and day. Kudos to your perseverance. Good luck!!

Cosmograph4Ever

INMATE
3/3/20
jptrosch I would LOVE to refinish the case, bezel and bracelet for you on this unique project. :)

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
jptrosch I would LOVE to refinish the case, bezel and bracelet for you on this unique project. :)

I’ve seen your work man, that would be awesome.

It’s gonna depend on how finicky the keyless works are. The last thing I want is to remove the stem to take the movement out of the case and have to reset the keyless works when it won’t go back in.

Reactions: Cosmograph4Ever