• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken Patek 5712 Project

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
I wanted to share with you guys a project I've been working on for a while now. Last October I grabbed a badly damaged Caliber 240 with a grey dial from a Patek 5712 off eBay - missing screws, jewels, rotor, damaged balance wheel, bent stems, etc. I sent it off to a watchmaker in March to start repairs, and based on a a call I had with him this morning they're almost done.

So far I've sourced a set of gen hands (including the small hands), gen caseback crystal, gen gaskets, and aftermarket end-links.

The next phase of the project involves getting a PF bezel and midcase, thinning it, making a new caseback, and somehow figuring out how to add pushers. If anyone has any advice, please feel free to chime in. I've included some of the movement photos from the original ebay listing below.

Hunvaakaren

12/6/13
Wow, this is going to be a insane project.

May i ask how much the movement went for? Aucthion?

And what is your budget to this project? Good luck, I will follow up on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
The next phase of the project involves getting a PF bezel and midcase, thinning it, making a new caseback, and somehow figuring out how to add pushers. If anyone has any advice, please feel free to chime in.
I would think - Buy the KMF with pushers in it (link here: https://www.intime05.co/patek-phili...ck-dial-on-ss-bracelet-calendar-movement.html)
Then have your modder drill a hole in the PF case and transplant one of the KMF pushers into the PF case. It should fit that way, but it's almost a waste of a $368 watch just for a pusher haha. But I don't know what other options are available (i.e. how much gen pushers are, or if third party pushers will work).

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
an acquaintance has the gen and it's a stunner

Wish you the best and will definitely follow this

Reactions: jptrosch

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
I would think - Buy the KMF with pushers in it (link here: https://www.intime05.co/patek-phili...ck-dial-on-ss-bracelet-calendar-movement.html)
Then have your modder drill a hole in the PF case and transplant one of the KMF pushers into the PF case. It should fit that way, but it's almost a waste of a $368 watch just for a pusher haha. But I don't know what other options are available (i.e. how much gen pushers are, or if third party pushers will work).

Cousins sell them as correctors, size check its needed to choose them, normally you have to stick a custon end inside to adapt to your movement.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
A note to everyone who's been messaging me about buying the project, I'm not selling it. The repeated insinuation that I would grow bored of it and that you would be willing to take it off my hands because you could handle it is disrespectful. I intend to finish what I started and give the watch to my dad for his 60th.

Last edited:

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Cousins sell them as correctors, size check its needed to choose them, normally you have to stick a custon end inside to adapt to your movement.

I just looked them up. Thank you, that's a promising lead. I appreciate it. Echoing what majwilliams0308 said, it would be a shame to have to buy a whole watch just for the pushers.

A buddy of mine has the gen - I may be able to get the dimensions from him.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Love how this project winds its way towards a kindred zone. Keep it going: best entertainment for me for a long time.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
So, any progress?

Not much to report. We've had to replace most of the gear train and the focus right now is straightening out the mainplate. The seller wasn't sure how the movement was damaged, but by the looks of it someone ran over the watch with a car. Luckily, the dial side is mostly unscathed. I'm holding off on the case until the movement is done so I can make sure it fits - actually just sold the ppf I was going to use because I couldn't live with the fat bezel and crown.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Update: The movement is officially running.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but the plates have been straightened out and the gear train and balance assembly have been replaced. There are still some missing parts and stripped screws that need to be made/fixed. I ended up buying a new dial, so we don't have to wait for that to be restored before putting the watch together. Overall, I'm feeling good about it, and I'll probably buy a PF 5711 and look into modifying it after CNY.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Great progress, keep it going!!

The updates are like “Game of Thrones” - the more you see, the more you become curious about what’s coming next :)

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
Wow this is amazing, congratulations!

What are the dimensions of the gen compared to the 5711?

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Wow this is amazing, congratulations!

What are the dimensions of the gen compared to the 5711?

The 5712 is .2mm thicker than the 5711, but I'm not sure where that extra thickness shows up. My plan is to get a 5711 case and then compare the crown against a profile shot online to create a scale I can use to measure the thickness of the bezel and caseback. Making the crystal hole on the caseback larger will be easy, but I need to find a way to get rid of the divets from the caseback opener.