• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken Patek 5712 Project

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Very nice — impressive diligence on your end to get this one done. Hope it fulfills all your expectations once on the wrist!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

I appreciate you saying that. It's been a fun project.

Last edited:

Cosmograph4Ever

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
3/3/20
I’m profoundly enjoying this beautiful result of a long journey. Sublime! I’m very happy for you and a big chapeau to your watchmaker!

Reactions: jptrosch

WatchMAN112

12/1/17
Amazing!!! Congrats- I did a AP 15400 build similar to this- it’s so satisfying when you finally reach the end!

How much did this project set you back? ????

boogieman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/20
Drooling over this epic build! Congratulations on having the patience to compete this masterpiece!
Enjoy it in good health!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
The hour hand collided with the power reserve hand last night while he was running down the power, so the watchmaker had to make some adjustments and restart timing. Hopefully testing will be done by Monday morning, I think it only has a 48 hour power reserve.

tortuga368

Supporter
Certified
8/5/20
Man, congratulations on this truly fantastic build. Can't say enough about it, and thank you for sharing the entire build with us...loved following it from the start. To say I'm a bit envious is a huge understatement, but you deserve your success! :)

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
I dropped the payment for the watch in the mail today, so hopefully I should get it within the next two weeks. There was a bit of a delay because after my last update the date mechanism wasn't activating and then one of the dial feet popped off while trying to fix it (and couldn't be soldered back on without damaging the dial), but my understanding is that everything is now running smoothly without any issues.

All in all, I'm happy with how things turned out. I think it's the best outcome we could have hoped for given the condition the movement arrived in. The biggest deviation from the gen is the case and the bracelet, but the watchmaker did a great job reshaping the caseback. At some point in the future, we'll revisit the case and bracelet (probably the first servicing), but for now we'll leave it as is.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTO and pompompurin

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
IMO it’s still franken because of the rep parts used.

About your dial issue , I have sent my dial in USA to get the feet reattach and they will be using new technique that doesn’t heat it. If you’re interested in doing this on yours to I will update with results once mine is ready.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
IMO it’s still franken because of the rep parts used.

About your dial issue , I have sent my dial in USA to get the feet reattach and they will be using new technique that doesn’t heat it. If you’re interested in doing this on yours to I will update with results once mine is ready.

The watchmaker managed to secure the dial without reattaching the foot, but thank you for your offer. Taking the watch apart, even just to remove the dial, is such a project that we're hoping not to have to open it back up again for a couple of years.

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
The watchmaker managed to secure the dial without reattaching the foot, but thank you for your offer. Taking the watch apart, even just to remove the dial, is such a project that we're hoping not to have to open it back up again for a couple of years.

What a absolute great journey you made (with us on the bandwagon). Cannot stress enough how awesome this has turned out! Hoping you will enjoy it for many years mate. Cannot wait for the completed wrist pics!

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Now the dreaded wait for the postman begins... the best and worst part of our hobby. Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging words over this past year and a half and especially those of you who helped me find parts along the way (you know who you are). Gratuitous wrist shots forthcoming.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Have been following this thread from the beginning. It still boggles my mind how a collection of seemingly normal movement+parts has ended up being such a beauty!! Wear in good health!!

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Now the dreaded wait for the postman begins... the best and worst part of our hobby. Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging words over this past year and a half and especially those of you who helped me find parts along the way (you know who you are). Gratuitous wrist shots forthcoming.

Can't wait for the wristshots - an absolute beauty!!

Well wear

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Absolutely gorgeous.
Am in awe with this project, well done and well wear

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
After a bit of a delay due to trouble with the date indicator and the torture that is usps registered mail, it's finally done. I'll post more photos tomorrow once I have access to natural light again. The watch is not for sale, please do not make me any offers. Enjoy.