• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken Patek 5712 Project

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Wow, incredible update. Do you know which pushers he landed on? This has been a looooong journey.

No I didn't ask. I don't think they were the ones on cousinsuk from the sound of it. That's an understatement, I think we're coming up on three years now.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Shoutout to @Riverwind85 for sending me a link to the gen pushers on eBay for less than half of what they would have otherwise cost. They look like they might be white gold, and they come with a nautilus crown from the white gold 5712. I'll make a decision at some point about whether to just use that crown or go with steel.

My watchmaker was planning to cut the case for the pushers next week, so as soon as the pushers arrive he's going to start milling.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
If anyone's curious about the breakdown of rep vs. gen parts at this point - it's all gen except for the case, dial-side crystal, and bracelet.

I bought a gen dial-side crystal but it doesn't fit the PF case. I went with a PF case because both the PPF and 3KF are actually too thin. The 5712 is already a little bit thicker than the 5711, and we wanted to have some wiggle room because we didn't know how well the movement was going to fit into the case. The bracelet is PPF though.

DerpyOfficer

DerpiestOfWatchmakers
Patron
Certified
8/2/20
I'm interested in why the pusher recesses are slits like that, instead of just holes for the pushers. Is it because the pushers don't reach all the way to the movement?

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
I'm interested in why the pusher recesses are slits like that, instead of just holes for the pushers. Is it because the pushers don't reach all the way to the movement?

Yeah, I want to say the slits accommodate the space for levers which the pushers activate

Aquanautilus

Renowned Member
23/9/16
Stunning progress!
Good luck for the final steps.
Seems like a long journey will come to an end any minute now.

Aquanautilus

Renowned Member
23/9/16
Stunning progress!
Good luck for the final steps.
Seems like a long journey will come to an end any minute now.

Reactions: jptrosch

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
All that's left is timing and fitting the crystals. It'll sit dial-side down overnight tonight and then dial-side up tomorrow. Then it will be run all the way down. After that, it's done. My watchmaker and I agreed that at some point in the future we're going to replace the case. The PF case just isn't up to snuff in terms of the quality of both the steel and the milling.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
All that's left is timing and fitting the crystals. It'll sit dial-side down overnight tonight and then dial-side up tomorrow. Then it will be run all the way down. After that, it's done. My watchmaker and I agreed that at some point in the future we're going to replace the case. The PF case just isn't up to snuff in terms of the quality of both the steel and the milling.