• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken Patek 5712 Project

Bendori

2/5/16
Nothing much to report. I sent the rest of the parts to my watchmaker last week, and he confirmed receipt this past Monday. I'm guessing he'll update me once the modifications to the case are done, but beyond that it's just a matter of waiting at this point.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I was able to get ahold of the gen 5712 hour and minute hands, so the only thing non-gen about the watch will be the case and bracelet.

good to hear there is progress! Where did you get your gen hands may I ask?

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
good to hear there is progress! Where did you get your gen hands may I ask?

A fellow forum member was able to source them. I can't say exactly who because I haven't asked him if he's cool with me revealing his name.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
UPDATE: Casing started today. The watchmaker removed a ton of material on the inside of the case to fit the Caliber 240. Unfortunately, the dial sits too high in the case for the bezel to fit on, i.e. there isn't enough depth between the bottom of the bezel and the wings where it attaches to the body. We're going to have to take some material off the bottom of the bezel, which is not going to be easy.

Bendori

2/5/16
A fellow forum member was able to source them. I can't say exactly who because I haven't asked him if he's cool with me revealing his name.

Sorry to hear ur struggling with the case but glad you're almost there!! I know it's a hassel but would you mind asking him if he can contact me regarding gen patek parts? It'd be greatly appreciated. I want to follow your footsteps..

jcguo0516

4/12/18
UPDATE: Casing started today. The watchmaker removed a ton of material on the inside of the case to fit the Caliber 240. Unfortunately, the dial sits too high in the case for the bezel to fit on, i.e. there isn't enough depth between the bottom of the bezel and the wings where it attaches to the body. We're going to have to take some material off the bottom of the bezel, which is not going to be easy.

that look pretty freakin gorgeous even before all finished, paitent is the key, when the day comes, it will make you feel so good for a long long time

Reactions: jptrosch

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Something my watchmaker said yesterday that I think won’t come as a surprise to anyone is that the quality of the rep steel versus the gen steel becomes very clear once you start working it. He described it as “gummy” and cutting “more like copper.”

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
UPDATE: The movement is fully cased - caseback and bezel fitting nicely with the stem lined up. The next step is to install the pushers and reshape the caseback. After that, the hands and moon phase disk will be installed. And that's it.

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
I am really glad you are close! This is the most amazing project I have ever seen! What case did you end up using?

It's a pf base with ppf bracelet, but I'm probably going to swap out the clasp on the bracelet with a pf clasp because it rattles.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

DerpyOfficer

DerpiestOfWatchmakers
Patron
Certified
8/2/20
Aghhhhh it's a shame the reps of the 5712 are all shit, I totally want one myself right now, this is so amazing to see it this far along.

DerpyOfficer

DerpiestOfWatchmakers
Patron
Certified
8/2/20
The only possible way for me to pull this project off is to buy a gen 5712 and reverse-franken it into a rep case lol

I think it was mentioned earlier as well but, you could get a 5055, pull the movement get a 5712 dial and put that in rep case. Very costly an option tho just for a 240 caliber.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I think it was mentioned earlier as well but, you could get a 5055, pull the movement get a 5712 dial and put that in rep case. Very costly an option tho just for a 240 caliber.

Well in the world of rare and expensive gen Patek parts, most people cannot just "get a 5712 dial" and a set of hands lol.