• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek Philippe 5205G-013 Annual Calendar Review

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Good to know about the color. I've had several beautiful rep blues that turn hideous purple in certain lighting conditions.

Easy to overlook the GMT hand functionality given those descriptions, as it was never specifically addressed. You can see in the pic the GMT hand is at 1700 hours (0500 with rotating bezel) while the regular hands are at 1000 or 2200 so I guess the author felt like it was implied. There are some GMT models where the hands are synched and locked to their separate rotation periods (non-independent setting) and in fact from the first Rolex GMT Master in 1954 until 1983 that was the case. But there was a rotating bezel to enable visualization of a second time zone, most notably for pilots to use GMT as you mentioned. Without some capability to visualize GMT, I think the descriptor is wrongly applied.

I can affirm you mate. The color is not like that at all. I haven't seen a shade of purple/pink or anything like that in it. There hasn't been bright sunny weather here though. But i don't think it will be purple at all even in bright sun. It turns light blue. The sunburst is beautiful in this watch.

Yeah exactly. True that. Thanks for the clarification.

molivio

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
The sunken dw kills me to be honest, they really nailed a beautiful watch that I would love to have, but I can't get over that dw and would constantly notice

molivio

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
Anyone who can do a mod ? Would be willing to pay. Anything on the horizon that aims to fix that ? It's such an amazing step otherwise

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Anyone who can do a mod ? Would be willing to pay. Anything on the horizon that aims to fix that ? It's such an amazing step otherwise

True that. I am not aware of any one who had luck with this. I think Godfathar asked around regarding (if i remember correctly) a 5396, but i think it wasn't possible.

rek00001

24/4/13
Beautiful watch, and superb review, it's on my shortlist.
How do you think this would wear on a 6.5" wrist?

rek00001

24/4/13
Thanks for the reply jm, I may get this as a Christmas present to myself.

ccliny

Horology Curious
10/4/19
Just placed an order due to your detailed, well thought out review. Thanks again!

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Just placed an order due to your detailed, well thought out review. Thanks again!

Your welcome. Glad it helped. Hope you will enjoy the watch. Take it for what it is. And then you can always get more reps, and some with less flaws. For me it's about having variety in the watchbox and to have different complications / dial- and case-colors.

YellingYellowLlama

Known Member
12/3/18
I came for the fantastic review, and I stay for asking Would you be able to take a video of it? Thanks (in advance. Maybe)!

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Wondering if any wise heads can help me... I haven't seen any pics or reviews on this site of the rose gold version found here:
https://puretimewatch.io/watch-bran...hite-dial-on-brown-leather-strap-cal-324.html

Can any owners comment on the quality of the dial / rose colour? Trying to decide between the KMF 5205R, a 5396R and the ZF 5296R.

Sir, the KMF watch in rosegold has a few extra flaws compared to the reviewed GRF version:
1. Case size is 42 mm in diameter (2mm bigger than gen and GRF), and is 13 mm (2 mm thicker than GRF).
2. The case is different shaped than the gen. The recessed pushers are for example far apart to gen, than the GRF, which is more similar in case to the gen.

Other than that it has the same flaws as the reviewed watch.

Regarding the 5396, it has the same diameter as gen, almost same thickness as gen, same functions as the 5205, but the fonts of the month/day are different than gen. Also the date wheel is recessed as in the 5205. The 5396 have got the compromises regarding the font of the date complications, the only advantage over the 5205 being that it has two full moons in the day/night indicator. While the 5205 has one full moon during daytime and a crescent moon during night time. So you must consider what compromise you find most important.

The ZF 5296R is a whole other story. I can't even talk about it in the same sentence as these watches. It's a totally different watch and much more close to gen. But has no calender functions other than the date.