• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Called out for wearing a REP PP??

yongsum

Supporter
Certified
3/6/19
who would ever question an aqua terra right ? it was my first watch purchase ever, and i loved it for almost 20 yrs, and then i profited on the sale. hard sell because i had a soft spot for it, but no longer for anything under 40mm so sianara.

but hey who, even the pros here, could easily tell a rep from arms length ? doubt it right ? unless some major flaws. i've got an eye for a few different things that take years to develop, watches not being one of them, and i gotta think that people can pull off reps pretty easily.

hate to add to the ad naseum about how 95% of people don't even look at (not wear, mind you) watches, and probably 5% of those who do will know what you're wearing unless it's a rolex or citizen, and then of those 5%, only 5% will know if it's a rep from up close. this conversation should be long done with

Tgz

Known Member
21/4/19
yongsum i hear ya man. I have a few gen watches that are in that 3-5k range, and I will say I agree no one else notices or cares what you’re wearing. But there is something that feels really nice about wearing a gen. That being said, I have no problem spending 3k on a gen, but when you start getting into 20k + watches, it just makes no sense to me to pay that much for a watch. I will get a Rolex 18038 one day because it was my grandfathers watch and that particular model carry’s a lot of sentimental value for me, but even that is solid gold and you can find nice examples for 10-12k. But as far as buying 60k stainless steel watches? No thanks. But I do admire the look of the Patek and Hugh end watches and as a collector, it feels fun to build a collection of reps. I went from rock collections to stamps to coins to sports cards and now that I’m an adult I realized I still got the collector gene - just now fixated on something else. Buying reps allows me to build my collection with pieces that would normally put a big dent in my $$ or have my wife end up leaving me lol

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
. But remember even AD sometimes they are not even know what rep and gen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

that's no entirely true. They can spot rep unless you wear some crazy Franken.
But they are not allowed to call people out.
people working at AD are told what to look for, they take that very seriously. There were instances with people switching reps with gens.

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
that's no entirely true. They can spot rep unless you wear some crazy Franken.
But they are not allowed to call people out.
people working at AD are told what to look for, they take that very seriously. There were instances with people switching reps with gens.

I do not believe that friend, most people who work at AD, they hardly know the models of the watches, the references less, if I ask for a 5167 they do not know what I am talking about, but if you ask them about the aquanaut if they know ... I end up knowing more than they do (and i dont know much neither), I hardly think they know the differences of a good rep vs a gene.

Reactions: Mr.Marbella

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Most AD staff in front are no different than any shop attendant at Macy's or GAP. They have limited knowledge of what the shop sells; however, there is always an expert in the back office who will inspect and tell that your stuff is fugazi.

Reactions: stufuse

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
I do not believe that friend, most people who work at AD, they hardly know the models of the watches, the references less, if I ask for a 5167 they do not know what I am talking about, but if you ask them about the aquanaut if they know ... I end up knowing more than they do (and i dont know much neither), I hardly think they know the differences of a good rep vs a gene.

Most people?
Let’s not fool ourself there, people who work in AD for some time know how to spot reps. They take this stuff very seriously. They are even educated what to look for.
Maybe you were helped by someone who just got hired.
Sale people from ADs I went to know their shit.

Reactions: Tgz

Mr.Marbella

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/16
EU
Most people?
Let’s not fool ourself there, people who work in AD for some time know how to spot reps. They take this stuff very seriously. They are even educated what to look for.
Maybe you were helped by someone who just got hired.
Sale people from ADs I went to know their shit.

No. They dont know sh!t.

I was @ one of the best grey market Dealers here in Frankfurt am Main today. Im interested in a couple of gens and when I Took of my franken daytona to try on one watch the owner took my daytona in his Hand and asked me if I was interested in selling it.

I explained him that I was a Watch enthusiast and that this particular model is a fake / franken daytona. He took it in the back to his watchmaker and came back 10min later. Told me that Im misinformed and that this daytona is 1000% real LOL. Crazy thing was he had a gen 116520 in stock and only by looking at the case it should have been clear.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
In my experience, ADs know very little, though Patek and other high end ADs are infinitely better than Rolex.

Last edited:

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
No. They dont know sh!t.

I was @ one of the best grey market Dealers here in Frankfurt am Main today. Im interested in a couple of gens and when I Took of my franken daytona to try on one watch the owner took my daytona in his Hand and asked me if I was interested in selling it.

I explained him that I was a Watch enthusiast and that this particular model is a fake / franken daytona. He took it in the back to his watchmaker and came back 10min later. Told me that Im misinformed and that this daytona is 1000% real LOL. Crazy thing was he had a gen 116520 in stock and only by looking at the case it should have been clear.

That’s crazy! You had noob clone movement inside?
my watchmaker is able to spot those clone movements .
i remember when I showed him one he was like damn that nice but he pointed out small differences right away.

Bill_C

21/10/19
North of Mexico, South of Canada
I don't know about AD's so I won't chime in on that, but I have had watch enthusiast friends compliment me on my rep and be in disbelief when I point out that it's a rep and show the discrepancies. Now, that's not the same watch or scenario you're proposing, but it just goes to show that even watch people can be oblivious to reps. My friends assumed it was real because it was on my wrist, not because it's a stunning rep. FWIW, I'm convinced it comes down to how you carry yourself.

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
No. They dont know sh!t.

Should have asked him how much was he willing to pay for it then :rofl:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
There are guys at ADs who know their stuff, I do not doubt that. But the majority of them do not from experience.
I am a client at AP, Rolex and Patek Boutiques in Singapore, and most of the guys I interacted with do not know as much as the very learned members here.
The occasional 1-2 do know their replicas pretty well, probably because they have personal interest themselves.
However, I agree 100% that ALL of them have been trained to be very vigilant to prevent the swapping of watches. CCTVs are good deterrence but the sales guys working at boutiques know enough to prevent watches from been swapped at the boutiques, however unlikely the case that may be.

Reactions: Allure and leo6929

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
As I always say: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...earing-an-a-lange-sohne?p=7438076#post7438076

"The entry level cost of a VW Golf is around €22k. You can get yourself a nice Lange for that, or a Calatrava, Royal Oak, etc.

Now take a walk for a couple of hours and tell me how many VW Golf do you see?

The answer is yes, almost anyone with a normal job can afford nearly any watch nowadays, with finance. People seem to forget that. Another question might be, what would you think of someone that spends €250+ a month for many years to pay for a watch, but that's another discussion!"

So, I tend not to even think about "it's a rep or gen" anymore. Anyone that really likes a watch can afford ANY watch (ok, not a Richard Mille, but seriously, who dafuq really wants that watch unless you work as a clown in a circus, right?). Even a Nautilus, you can have one literally in your wrist in 24h if you are willing to shell out 65k which is what quite a lot of people spend in a car.

I sat down in a bar to grab a bite the other day after leaving the kids at school, and next to me there was this guy, in his late 30s, wearing a jumper with a plumbing company logo. He was sporting a ceramic Rolex GMT and it looked nice. First thought after the "dress accordingly" rule would be that he's wearing a fake, right? I actually complimented the watch, just a "nice GMT pal!" and he was really happy. We had a quick chat, he bought it after a series of good jobs where he got some extra money, and paid the rest in finance. Turns out one of his kids lives abroad and he liked the idea of having both local and his kid's times in his watch. I took a glance at the watch and he took it off as he saw I was into watches too, and I can tell you it ticked all the boxes. Correct hand stack, great bracelet and clasp, perfect SELs, perfect hands, crystal with black hole, rehaut engraving, bezel insert numerals, etc. So either the guy had a 4k franken there, or it was really a genuine GMT.

I don't think the whole "dress accordingly" works anymore, unless you talk about really uncanny timepieces like some half a million bucks or more watch.

Mr.Marbella

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/16
EU
That’s crazy! You had noob clone movement inside?
my watchmaker is able to spot those clone movements .
i remember when I showed him one he was like damn that nice but he pointed out small differences right away.

Yeah, regular noob 4130 running @ +8 sec per day.

I should also Point out that its against the board rules to walk into any AD with a rep for obvious reasons... So if you are new to the Forum DONT try this.

Reactions: Dokraven

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
As I always say: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...earing-an-a-lange-sohne?p=7438076#post7438076

I don't think the whole "dress accordingly" works anymore, unless you talk about really uncanny timepieces like some half a million bucks or more watch.

I agree with all your points, and just to add, here in Singapore, it is not uncommon to see sloppily dressed guys sporting T shirts, shorts, flip-flops and a $150k RM watch on the wrist.
Here where I live, wealth and eccentricity seem to go hand in hand.

Reactions: Allure

manoamano

Horology Curious
11/1/19
I own both PPF White Dial and PPF Blue Dial V2 and a few other reps but ive been wearing my PPF White everyday. Honestly, confidence plays the biggest part here. The way you carry yourself and the way you dress gives off a good first impression. Since youre already rocking a Porsche i dont think anyone will doubt your capability to own a patek. Some people are really lucky and they might chance upon a 5711 at the boutique, and if i only had the retail cost of a 5711 sitting in my savings account, i'd spend every last dollar! No one in their right mind will skip out the chance! Its a 250% markup in the secondary market. I guess the tricky thing is explaining to your friends, so u gotta come up with a bulletproof story. But if youre talking about first impressions, the quality of the rep youre wearing is half the battle won/lost. In this case, the PPF 5711s are very decent reps! So, half the battle is already won! The other half is how you carry yourself and the way you dress! But im sure if you intend to get a modded PPF 5711, you have a meticulous eye when it comes to detail. The same thing probably goes to your choice of wardrobe! So just be confident about it!

Reactions: Tgz