• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stopped wearing my 5711

houss1981

15/3/17
Back in 2017 i bought a 5711 with sellita sw200 mov. Back then i didnt know much about different factories and who does the best clone. My only concern was to have a reliable mov and till now i am not deceived.
the problem is that i stopped wearing it because price of gen has become insanly expensive that i feel ridiculous if seen in it.
i cant understand the courage that some have to wear replicas that are in reality super expensive watches that mabe only CEOs of huge companies can afford.
never forget to balance reasonable hobby and logic

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
i cant understand the courage that some have to wear replicas that are in reality super expensive watches that mabe only CEOs of huge companies can afford.

Simple answer : I don't care about people judging me by how I look thinking I'm perhaps not a CEO or filthy rich and that it must be a fake.
Then it's even simpler : I don't care if people know it's a fake, I'm not wearing it to pass off as being someone I'm not.

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14
I mean isn't that why we buy reps...to be able to enjoy a little eye candy on our wrist that is remotely close to gen and have the experience of trying/owning multiples "expensive" watches. Not directing this towards you but I don't understand why people who buy reps constantly have this mentality, aren't you really contradicting yourselves?

Who cares if people know it's "fake", does that automatically ruin your day or do you feel less of a man (or woman) all of a sudden? :rofl:

Even when you can afford a gen whether it's a $50k Nautilus or a $10k Rolex...is that really logical? As Glaude mentioned just wear it because you enjoy it :).

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Don’t forget we’re in a watch enthusiasts bubble.

Less than 1% of people have even heard of Patek, let alone could recognise one on the wrist. It’s an iconic design but only to watch nuts.

And if you do bump into someone that not only recognises it but also knows the grey market price then just admit it’s a replica, no shame in that.

To me the only shame would come from trying to pass off a replica as genuine which is a little shady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
houss1981 , dude this lamenting sounds very... makes me wonder if you even did lose your virginity...

I am might have missed that class but who taught you that your personality and self worth are defined by the watch you wear ????

Get it together would you....

Last edited:
Reactions: Yadda Yadda

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I always tell people my watches are fake. When someone compliments my rolex, patek or hublot, I sometimes say that the fake watch was a gift from my buddy, nephew or wife who traveled to china. I treasure the gift even though it is fake because it is functional.

It doesn’t bother me what people think.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
houss1981 this watch isn't a Patek Celestial Sky Moon, which you would be totally right about. This watch retails for 29800USD, but the waiting lists are insane. But if you wanted to wait long enough and had the will to do it, most people with an income just above average would be able to save for this watch in the 7 years of waiting time.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Its really just to put 350 USD aside a month. Most people can do that if they have a good income. The grey market prices are almost double, yes.....

Drew01

3/7/12
What if you bought a 2nd hand Gen 5711 in 2010 for 18k$.
Would you stop wearing it in 2019 because of its huge price inflation??

Don’t worry, a tiny fraction of 5711 customers paid the mega inflation price for it.

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
What if you bought a 2nd hand Gen 5711 in 2010 for 18k$.
Would you stop wearing it in 2019 because of its huge price inflation??

Don’t worry, a tiny fraction of 5711 customers paid the mega inflation price for it.

Good point

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

domsdaddy123

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
6/8/15
Back in 2017 i bought a 5711 with sellita sw200 mov. Back then i didnt know much about different factories and who does the best clone. My only concern was to have a reliable mov and till now i am not deceived.
the problem is that i stopped wearing it because price of gen has become insanly expensive that i feel ridiculous if seen in it.

You friend have stumbled on what is a very divisive topic for folks in this amazing hobby. Many, many guys in the Rep hobby are also in the Gen hobby and Franken hobby, but the questions are all the same. Are you trying to pass fake as real? For me personally, not much in my life is black and white. The only thing that I do not compromise on is my family. There is no grey area there, I will always protect and do whats best for them. But this hobby is different. All my friends and family know I wear reps and frankens and gens, I am completely honest with the people in my life about my hobby. That being said, I work in an industry where I have clients and my person "image" is very, very important. I need to be very careful how they perceive me and if I wear a super expensive fake to a boardroom with very rich people who are interviewing me for a job, that fake watch is sending a strong message, and sometimes the wrong message.

So without writing a book here, this is a very fundamental component of this hobby. You seem to feel that you cant "pull off" a 70k Patek...but then ask yourself the question, if a stranger asked you about it, are you comfortable telling them its a fake? Or would that damage your ego? Would that make you embarrased? If the answer is yes, I would invite you to think about what draws you to this hobby in the first place? It does no good to listen to anyone but yourself. Intrinsically this hobby as well as the Gen hobby draws in the "status symbol" mentality. Its only natural. But in this rep hobby, I would guide you to be honest when you are wearing your real face. We all wear masks right? We put one on when we go to work or when we go somewhere we are not comfortable. But we should take off our masks when around the people we care about, yes? The goal for all people should be to never put on a mask, right? To reach that place in life where you never have to change anything no matter the circumstance. Thats a special person, a sincere person of very high character...we tend to know them or "feel them" when we meet them. Do you think they would tell you if they were wearing a Rep? Or about this wonderful hobby? I think so, yes. Sorry, I didn't mean for this to turn into a psyco-analyst b.s. session...Just my train of thought on this subject, its a very interesting subject to me....

Bottom line. Wear what you are comfortable wearing and try to figure out what makes yourself tick. Just my 2 cents...

Genera74

29/12/14
Ur entitled to ur opinion and should only wear what make you feel good (or comfortable with). If I stop feeling like enjoying something (for whatever reasons) I would replace/sell it. If the 5711 does not make you feel comfortable anymore, suggest you sell it. Just one thing is dont judge others who’s into wearing it.

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
I have to comment on this subject. I have some Gens and many Reps. Every day I wear a different watch. I enjoy the hunt for the best Rep more than I enjoy buying Gens. I don't care what anyone thinks. I wear the watch of my choice because I enjoy it. Only one person at my office knows what I do because we share the same hunt for great Reps. Nobody ever asks. A very small number of people will even know the manufacturer of my watches. At the end of the day, I just don't care.

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
I have to comment on this subject. I have some Gens and many Reps. Every day I wear a different watch. I enjoy the hunt for the best Rep more than I enjoy buying Gens. I don't care what anyone thinks. I wear the watch of my choice because I enjoy it. Only one person at my office knows what I do because we share the same hunt for great Reps. Nobody ever asks. A very small number of people will even know the manufacturer of my watches. At the end of the day, I just don't care.

This almost perfectly summarizes my own approach to the hobby as well..

I fully intend to slowly expand my gen collection later in life, specifically for models that are near impossible to replicate or have some intricate detail that makes it worth buying the gen.

However at the moment I have found more enjoyment in the process of collecting and modifying reps...

At the end of the day it's about personal enjoyment. Most of the acquaintances around me don't notice what's on my wrist anyway.

Reactions: tkingjr