• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PP 5167R Tarnish! HELP

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
Very interesting to read you, I have been following some of your posts with rose gold pieces and I really enjoyed them and wanted to go the same route. I however did not like the plating quality on reps and was looking for a proper jeweler/modder to give it a rose gold plating. Flyintommy came highly recommended here.

my question is : why would you not carry on buying rose gold rep if we have the opportunity of a modder to gold plate them ? Is it because according to your research plating will always somehow fade irrespective of thickness ?

i thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and insights

cheers from formentera ;)

I understand your point, and I guess I do contradict myself in that regard.

What I really mean is I would not buy a plated watch unless I had plans on sending it straight to Tommy, I’ve found out it’s much easier for him to replate a watch that’s brand new, once the “issues” we all have take place, they need to polish this watch down to the base metal. From my understanding they first plate it with Yellow Gold, then Rose on top of that.

although the finished article is impressive, and Tommy does a fantastic job, it isn’t exactly cheap, so I would only go through with that process on a watch I would deem to be worth while, or a “super rep” as some may call them.

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
I understand your point, and I guess I do contradict myself in that regard.

What I really mean is I would not buy a plated watch unless I had plans on sending it straight to Tommy, I’ve found out it’s much easier for him to replate a watch that’s brand new, once the “issues” we all have take place, they need to polish this watch down to the base metal. From my understanding they first plate it with Yellow Gold, then Rose on top of that.

although the finished article is impressive, and Tommy does a fantastic job, it isn’t exactly cheap, so I would only go through with that process on a watch I would deem to be worth while, or a “super rep” as some may call them.

Well with rose gold , you neither can look cheap or “rep” real gold it is just does not fly, instant tell in my book.

So yes I am with you factoring in the coat of plating is a must , as is prof 2 Ar and Dwo ;)...

i really enjoy your piece I think it is a stunner, might not be a super rep , but good or rather great enough for me... I can’t wait to see the result from Tommy.

i also had in mind to fully plated the 5711 rose gold model from pf, but dial seem to be not on par...

in non patek, an Ap 15400 rose gold thinned out by legend , 2Xar , gold plated, and proper Jacob strap also makes me having wet dreams...

:)

Moltes gracis... Adeu

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
Well with rose gold , you neither can look cheap or “rep” real gold it is just does not fly, instant tell in my book.

So yes I am with you factoring in the coat of plating is a must , as is prof 2 Ar and Dwo ;)...

i really enjoy your piece I think it is a stunner, might not be a super rep , but good or rather great enough for me... I can’t wait to see the result from Tommy.

i also had in mind to fully plated the 5711 rose gold model from pf, but dial seem to be not on par...

in non patek, an Ap 15400 rose gold thinned out by legend , 2Xar , gold plated, and proper Jacob strap also makes me having wet dreams...

:)

Moltes gracis... Adeu

Exactly, I’m with you with both the 5711r and the AP, I’m waiting for a better stab at the 15202 first as I tried the 15400 and it sits a bit too big for me. In the meantime a ZF aquanaut might be heading to Tommy’s soon!