• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PP 5167R Tarnish! HELP

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
I believe plating is rubbing off I live your piece but what happened to you put me off somehow. I tried to find a jeweler that could rose gold plate it without success so far... once I do I will by it otherwise well nope...

blee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/11/15
I’ve had a similar situation on a wrapped noob bracelet. I removed the tarnish using a cape cod cloth, and it has remained tarnish free thus far. Be careful though; there’s no telling how much polishing the plating can withstand before wearing through.

DrRickandMorty

3/8/17
Okay thanks! I ordered some tarn-x, whats the best method to apply it? If its truly tarnish should it just come off if i wipe it down with the tarn-x?

vanwolff

Renowned Member
Certified
21/12/15
Germany
I'm sorry, but IMO this looks like the plating coming off. Especially considering, that it is located at a position of the bezel, which is significantly subjected to wear through shirt and jacket cuffs.

I would be very careful with any tarnish remover or cleaning agent, as this may further deteriorate the plating.

Reactions: sn95

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14
Sorry to hear, hopefully it's not the plating and I hate to say it but I can see the deterioration on the upper edges as well.

Did you just notice that or was it slowly deteriorating over the past few months?

This might sound over the top but this is the reason why I wear those blue latex gloves when putting on my gold/rg watches and I wipe them down after wearing.

Keep us updated after trying the TarnX.

DrRickandMorty

3/8/17
Nope i hardly noticed it and then one day It caught my eye. I wipe it down super often with a microfiber cloth and it has rarely been worn. Maybe less than 10 times. Tarn x should arrive this week and ill keep everyone posted

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
Hope its not the plating, seems to look like it is from the pictures.

kaddy

Known Member
14/7/18
Plating tarnishes and plating rubs off. It is what it is.

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
any of you guys know of a good jeweller that could plate it in europe please ?

DrRickandMorty

3/8/17
Well unfortunately it was the plating which im really dissapointed about since the watch is literally 3 months old and Ive worn it a couple times..anyone know anyone in the US that does plating? Would appreciate a contact. Thanks

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
Well unfortunately it was the plating which im really dissapointed about since the watch is literally 3 months old and Ive worn it a couple times..anyone know anyone in the US that does plating? Would appreciate a contact. Thanks

I had the same issue with my noob Daytona, thankfully flying Tommy is sorting it, paid 688$ for my Daytona! But what can you do, they’re reps after all. After this Daytona comes back I’ll be sticking to SS for sure, which is a shame because I love Gold watches

DrRickandMorty

3/8/17
How much to replate your daytona? I paid about 700 for my PP as well. I wanted the piece and gambled id be one of those people who say "ive never had any issuss"

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
I had the same issue with my noob Daytona, thankfully flying Tommy is sorting it, paid 688$ for my Daytona! But what can you do, they’re reps after all. After this Daytona comes back I’ll be sticking to SS for sure, which is a shame because I love Gold watches

Very interesting to read you, I have been following some of your posts with rose gold pieces and I really enjoyed them and wanted to go the same route. I however did not like the plating quality on reps and was looking for a proper jeweler/modder to give it a rose gold plating. Flyintommy came highly recommended here.

my question is : why would you not carry on buying rose gold rep if we have the opportunity of a modder to gold plate them ? Is it because according to your research plating will always somehow fade irrespective of thickness ?

i thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and insights

cheers from formentera ;)

Reactions: WatchaholicMallorca