• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it Smart to buy a ZF Aquanaut 5167a NOW?

mottykytu

4/6/13
As I remember this time last year, ZF Release the Aquanaut 5167a which have a good reputation here and is considered to be one of the BEST REP PATEK on the market.

So I wonder what is the New Version release Routine/Cycle OF ZF ? will ZF release the new V2 version every year?

Should I buy it NOW or wait a little bit for them to release the new version ? (just like the PPF which have the V2 very fast) Can someone who have experience suggest me? thank you!

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
Yeah but when you wait for the V2, V3 will already be in production.

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14
Someone on this forum brought up a good counter question regarding this same question you're asking but for a different watch, "What exactly needs to be improved on the watch for any factory to consider making a new version?".

The ZF Aquanauts (5167 or 5168) obviously are not perfect but as Majwilliams has already detailed in his comparison between the different versions of 5167 that there aren't really a lot of improvement to be made or at least significant enough to warrant a new version...at least from my perspective. They can probably update the line going past the 5 o clock hour marker, less green/whiter lume, and fix the alignment on the clasp. That's not to say people won't buy the new version if improvements are made, but If you're not planning on doing any mods to it the current version is the best bang for your buck. I myself have had the 5167A, 5168G and currently the 5167R.

Reactions: LuminorReptar

mottykytu

4/6/13
Someone on this forum brought up a good counter question regarding this same question you're asking but for a different watch, "What exactly needs to be improved on the watch for any factory to consider making a new version?".

The ZF Aquanauts (5167 or 5168) obviously are not perfect but as Majwilliams has already detailed in his comparison between the different versions of 5167 that there aren't really a lot of improvement to be made or at least significant enough to warrant a new version...at least from my perspective. They can probably update the line going past the 5 o clock hour marker, less green/whiter lume, and fix the alignment on the clasp. That's not to say people won't buy the new version if improvements are made, but If you're not planning on doing any mods to it the current version is the best bang for your buck. I myself have had the 5167A, 5168G and currently the 5167R.

actually many people here say the dial Shines and Colour are very off compare to GEN

mottykytu

4/6/13
Very off ?????? Well I guess you need to have a look at this thread https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...naut-zf-vs-gen. And obviously add the people who said that to your ignore list....

Thanks for your info, I did read it before, and Actually I will quote 1 people from the exactly thread you gave about :

"The dial on the zf is way too shiny, the pattern on the gen’s strap is more rigid and refined, datewheel window is a tell as well, and of course zf is thicker than gen. However I’m surprised the clasp on both gen and rep sucks, the polishing is on point for both."

p/s: I know that they cannot offer a Perfect Aquanaut in the near future, but hope that ZF can reduce the dial shiny problems? Since some people told they have to mix the Dial of KMF with the Marker of ZF for a Perfect Dial (which obviously cost double the price...)

Last edited:

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Man..... mottykytu , this is like your 4th thread going back and forth about the Aquanaut... I honestly don't know why you feel like the watch still isn't good enough that you need to wait for a V2. As many others have said, it's nearly perfect. There is no indication that ZF will make a newer version so you may be waiting a very long time. If you want this watch you should just buy it and try to enjoy it.

From your other thread, myself and many others here on the forum have offered their time and input. No one ever said the dial from either ZF or KMF as "very off" ... They have some subtle differences but both are excellent.

I said specifically : "The dial sunburst flaw is irrelevant.. it will change based on lighting and near impossible to tell on wrist."

No clue how you could misconstrue this any other way..

Not to mention, by this point you have enough resources from the discussion here to form your own opinions.

It seems that from your account age you should know by now that chasing "1:1 accuracy" is a myth in this hobby.. Unless you intend on Frankening the entire watch there will always be small issues that need correcting... You can never wait for the best version available because not only will you possibly be waiting indefinitely, once a new version appears it might have other flaws, and there will always be a better version on the horizon.

If you want this watch, you should just buy it now and stop worrying about the "next" version that might appear in the future.

If you really need someone to tell you what to do - Then I'm telling you to just buy it instead of waiting.

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
Thanks for your info, I did read it before, and Actually I will quote 1 people from the exactly thread you gave about :

"The dial on the zf is way too shiny, the pattern on the gen’s strap is more rigid and refined, datewheel window is a tell as well, and of course zf is thicker than gen. However I’m surprised the clasp on both gen and rep sucks, the polishing is on point for both."

p/s: I know that they cannot offer a Perfect Aquanaut in the near future, but hope that ZF can reduce the dial shiny problems? Since some people told they have to mix the Dial of KMF with the Marker of ZF for a Perfect Dial (which obviously cost double the price...)

Brother did you look at the pictures ???? Forget about what people say , I am a super OCD guy but honestly that is good enough for me a lil modding here and there and I am good to go , I get the aquanaut experience for a fraction of the price...

my 2 cts

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
Man..... mottykytu , this is like your 4th thread going back and forth about the Aquanaut... I honestly don't know why you feel like the watch still isn't good enough that you need to wait for a V2. As many others have said, it's nearly perfect. There is no indication that ZF will make a newer version so you may be waiting a very long time. If you want this watch you should just buy it and try to enjoy it.

From your other thread, myself and many others here on the forum have offered their time and input. No one ever said the dial from either ZF or KMF as "very off" ... They have some subtle differences but both are excellent.

I said specifically : "The dial sunburst flaw is irrelevant.. it will change based on lighting and near impossible to tell on wrist."

No clue how you could misconstrue this any other way..

Not to mention, by this point you have enough resources from the discussion here to form your own opinions.

It seems that from your account age you should know by now that chasing "1:1 accuracy" is a myth in this hobby.. Unless you intend on Frankening the entire watch there will always be small issues that need correcting... You can never wait for the best version available because not only will you possibly be waiting indefinitely, once a new version appears it might have other flaws, and there will always be a better version on the horizon.

If you want this watch, you should just buy it now and stop worrying about the "next" version that might appear in the future.

If you really need someone to tell you what to do - Then I'm telling you to just buy it instead of waiting.

This !

Reactions: LuminorReptar

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
If the V1 isn't good enough for you as it is right now, then you don't buy ANY rep EVER. Seriously wtf.

mottykytu

4/6/13
If the V1 isn't good enough for you as it is right now, then you don't buy ANY rep EVER. Seriously wtf.

seriously wrwu? I appriciate your opinion but...

I did buy REP before LOL ,

And since I have bought rep before, I already know that it may cause some regrets buying a REP version and next month they may release a better version of this exactly watch ;), that's why I ask

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
seriously wrwu? I appriciate your opinion but...

I did buy REP before LOL ,

And since I have bought rep before, I already know that it may cause some regrets buying a REP version and next month they may release a better version of this exactly watch ;), that's why I ask

Sorry I did not see you had been here since 2013, wow. Then you should definitely know that with every new version released there will be a step back. They might fix XX but then screw up ZZ instead. Get the V1. It is very very good OOTB. If you want the top creme you need to go hybrid between KMF, ZF and Keylogs DWO - don't wait for a new version as they will just screw up something that was already good on the current version.

Reactions: mottykytu

irvin

21/9/15
SG

The ZF dial no doubt has more sunburst than a gen but under different lighting conditions those details weren’t glaring at all. If you’re looking for an 1:1 NWBIG then I suggest the 5167 isn’t for you, or you can try to source an gen dial to Franken it or go KMF if you think it’s nearer to the gen matte black gloss.

Even if ZF comes out with an v2-v3 they might not alter/improve the gradient/shine of the dial, so don’t get the hopes up too high.

To be honest from the way you’re starting these threads, you must be a super OCD/fickle minded person. Gen will be more suitable for you to put your mind at ease instead of being afraid of getting called out at all times which actually no one bothers to.

TS you can continue fighting your inner demons whether to go for it or not while I enjoy the beautiful evening with my spongebob modded ZF aquanaut

watcher009

Known Member
12/12/17

The ZF dial no doubt has more sunburst than a gen but under different lighting conditions those details weren’t glaring at all. If you’re looking for an 1:1 NWBIG then I suggest the 5167 isn’t for you, or you can try to source an gen dial to Franken it or go KMF if you think it’s nearer to the gen matte black gloss.

Even if ZF comes out with an v2-v3 they might not alter/improve the gradient/shine of the dial, so don’t get the hopes up too high.

To be honest from the way you’re starting these threads, you must be a super OCD/fickle minded person. Gen will be more suitable for you to put your mind at ease instead of being afraid of getting called out at all times which actually no one bothers to.

TS you can continue fighting your inner demons whether to go for it or not while I enjoy the beautiful evening with my spongebob modded ZF aquanaut

Looks amazing. What were the mods done by spongebob ?