• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

REVIEW: Patek Philippe 5070P Saatchi London Limited Edition Chronograph.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
First of all i want to say that this rep isn't new, it's been around since 2016.
The 5070R was thoroughly reviewed by DC at our sister forum RWG:
https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/...d-its-loooong/

I'm gonna refer to that excellent review and not gonna try to pretend i know any better.
What i want to write about though, is the not-so-known limited edition of the already very rare 5070P Chronograph.

5070 line of Patek chronographs
The 5070 chronographs were started in 1998 with the release of a yellowgold 5070J, in 2002 a 5070G, a 5070R and finally in 2008 a blue dial platinum version 5070P, which was discontinued the same year.
You can read more about that in the DC review.

The gen
What most people don't know though, is that Patek revived the 5070 series in 2015 in a limited edition for the exhibition at the Saatch London Gallery in 2015.
They used old stock parts and movements and introduced unique dials for these versions.

They made a 5070J-012 in a yellowgold with a beautiful brown dial - unfortunately there is no rep of that one:
Sk-rmbillede-2019-09-03-kl-18-43-02.png
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

They also released a 5070P-013 in a sunburst blue dial limited to 5 watches, which this review is about:
Sk-rmbillede-2019-08-31-kl-13-58-19.png
Sk-rmbillede-2019-08-31-kl-13-58-36.png

3.jpg

The 5070P-013 is number 2 from the right in lineup with the commonly known 5070 versions.

The 5070P-013 was a two-register manually wound chronograph like it's siblings, and the only difference - other than it's more limited than the 5070P - is the dial. It had a beautiful metallic sunburst dial which was a lighter shade of blue.
Specs:
42mm diameter
11.6mm thickness
60h power reserve

The rep
The rep has been a bit forgotten because people were of the impression that this rep was of the 2008 version 5070P which has a darker and more matte dial. Whereas the rep has a more metallic sunburst dial like the Saatchi London Edition.

The dial
The dial has an obvious flaw as the subdials are smaller and placed more lateral than the gen. Also the color is maybe a little shade of, but not much. It is a beautiful dial though as can be seen below:

20190903-180843.jpg

20190903-180858.jpg

20190903-182631.jpg

20190903-182450.jpg

In darker lighting the dial gets darker which is like the gen:

20190903-182434.jpg

20190903-182209.jpg

20190903-182006.jpg

Comparison to the gen
Dial: As stated above. Minor shade difference in the blue color. The subdials are smaller and have a more lateral placement.
Case: Case finishing and quality is great. Casesize is spot on. The rep is 42mm and has a thickness of approx. 11,5mm. It sits really well on the wrist.
Crystal: Same rounded shape as the gen. Although the AR coating is rubbish and it reflects too much. With AR coating it would look more expensive and of better quality.
Hands: One of the bigger flaws is the seconds hand should've been a off-white color, but it's silver polished like the other hands.
Movement: Is a Seagull ST1901 and it keeps time very well. The power reserve is 46 hours when i have wound it fully. Movement isn't engraved like the gen and most of the screws that are blued steel, should've been silver color.

All in all a very good rep which i will enjoy a lot. It's a favourite at the moment. It's on a Camille Fournet custom made strap in a blue-greenish color. I think i will look into getting the crystal AR-coated and the seconds hand painted white, like Godfathar did to his 5979. I think this rep deserves that.

Last edited:

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
I enjoyed the review!

shaw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/3/20
South Korea
Another brilliant review. I am considering to buy this watch but I am little concerned about the thickness. In your review you said it is 11.5mm but on trustywebsite it says 13mm. And also read the review by DC he also mentioned that it is 13mm thick. Can you please confirm this. I am worried because my wrist is smaller almost 6.5 inches (16.5cm), it may look bulkier with 42mm diameter and 13mm thickness.

Did you order this model?
https://trustytime.shop/index.php?ma...ducts_id=15187

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Another brilliant review. I am considering to buy this watch but I am little concerned about the thickness. In your review you said it is 11.5mm but on trustywebsite it says 13mm. And also read the review by DC he also mentioned that it is 13mm thick. Can you please confirm this. I am worried because my wrist is smaller almost 6.5 inches (16.5cm), it may look bulkier with 42mm diameter and 13mm thickness.

Did you order this model?
https://trustytime.shop/index.php?ma...ducts_id=15187

The measurements on the TD websites can't be trusted. I don't remember 100% if i measured the watch. But I think so, if i hadn't measured it, i would've written that it's "approx. xx mm". That's what i usually do when i haven't measured it. I wouldn't have written exactly 11,6mm. On the other hand i'm not sure why i haven't put the pictures on of the measurements. But i'm pretty sure it isn't 13mm, it certainly doesn't seem so on the wrist at all. The case/thickness is very well balanced.
Your wrist is just slightly smaller than mine (17cm). And i really love wearing it and it feels comfortable.
I can't do the measurements again, as i don't have the watch with me at the moment.

Yes, that's the exact one i ordered. Got the crystal AR coated and hand painted white. Also got the diamond installed on the case at 6 from a local jeweller.

Last edited:

shaw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/3/20
South Korea
The measurements on the TD websites can't be trusted. I don't remember 100% if i measured the watch. But I think so, if i hadn't measured it, i would've written that it's "approx. xx mm". That's what i usually do when i haven't measured it. I wouldn't have written exactly 11,6mm. On the other hand i'm not sure why i haven't put the pictures on of the measurements. But i'm pretty sure it isn't 13mm, it certainly doesn't seem so on the wrist at all. The case/thickness is very well balanced.
Your wrist is just slightly smaller than mine (17cm). And i really love wearing it and it feels comfortable.
I can't do the measurements again, as i don't have the watch with me at the moment.

Yes, that's the exact one i ordered. Got the crystal AR coated and hand painted white. Also got the diamond installed on the case at 6 from a local jeweller.

Yes you wrote approx 11.5mm. I think it will sit well on my wrist too. I am just pulling the trigger in black dial :D
And yes for AR coating, I will discuss it with you for sure once I receive the watch.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Yes you wrote approx 11.5mm. I think it will sit well on my wrist too. I am just pulling the trigger in black dial :D
And yes for AR coating, I will discuss it with you for sure once I receive the watch.

Then i haven't measured it. I remember to have measured it at one point i if i recall correct it wasn't significantly off from the gen.

The black dial YG is nice (5070J). But the blak dial SS is a fantasy rep.