• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Thinking about making a Tiffany & Co. Stamp for Nautilus

daft772

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/5/19
I used to build tamiya model cars with tons of water decals. Super small and fine detail, for example, putting white "Brembo" text of brake pads at 1:24 scale.

For something like this project, I'd use a decal because it's not permanent and you can fix it if its not the right size/position.

Reactions: BIONONE

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Seems like it's something wrong with my posts, did my poor english annoying you? There is no problem, just inform me to see what can i do about.

There is no way to hide a decal in such a fine surface. Been honest, the only way to "hide" a decal is to be created to cover the dial complete.
Then you will have the final surface "finnished" accordind the type of clear decal that you choose (glossy, matte or satin).
The apply of decal will be as much difficult as any other method but you will not have the option to correct its' placing because it will might destroy the other silk prints.

There are some other "waterslide" decals that you can use but you need the same procedure to print white (with coverage) on them like if you print the dial alone.
Also you will need to "finish" them with clear coat or bake them...

I can't suggest you those ways cause their result, if you manage to achieve the best of them, will have far less quality than the gens' silk or enamel printing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two kind of printers that can help you printing white on dial, best with flatbed printers and some large format printers that have roll feeding and you will
work a lot to achieve any kind of stable register (centering) on them.

With a flatbed will be less than an hour to achive the right possition and the result will be very close (99%) of the gen while it will be strong with the same durability
as silk printing against the sun or an excess of lubricant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a look on youtube about silk printing at home. It's the easiest method, very low cost against any other method and your final result will be just like the gen.
Just don't try to make a silk page on your own, its fine for a tshirt but you need accurancy and it's better to have a pack of 10 for a couple of $ at your nearest
hobby store etc.

It's also very easy to make a small jig for the silk printing that will allow you to handle small "production" if anyone here wants to have a dial like that.

Thanks for the detailed analysis on the different techniques. I understand what you’re saying about the decal but there are water-based solvents that will melt any excess film on a decal if done correctly. The trick is just being meticulous about the detail.

I believe spongebob is working with his pad printing friend to make a Tiffany stamp. I gave him my .psd file, and he has a PPF Dial. I will wait to see what he can do. I still may pursue pad printing in the states but that has yet to be seen with his solution first.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
This is very interesting and i never found something like this the last 10years that i use water slide decals.
I have develop a very dificult practice with two different clear coats and water to hide them and secure them with uv protection
that still leave a minor trace on dark colors.

If you have a link about this solvent please give a link here or in a pm.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I was tempted to get my dad to print it on my MKF from Vietnam

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
e2b37144a665d0dfef0d625d9df301c9.jpg

Anyone else saw this?

The T&C logo looks a bit crooked. So this might be a QC reject.

But $25K!!! Yikes!!

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
e2b37144a665d0dfef0d625d9df301c9.jpg

Anyone else saw this?

The T&C logo looks a bit crooked. So this might be a QC reject.

But $25K!!! Yikes!!

Tiffany stamp is added to the dial not printed by patek. Anyway this dial is “worthless “ since it adds no value to resell. Tiffany sold Pateks have this noted on the warranty and this where the value stays.

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Tiffany stamp is added to the dial not printed by patek. Anyway this dial is “worthless “ since it adds no value to resell. Tiffany sold Pateks have this noted on the warranty and this where the value stays.

Hmm interesting. So if T&C buys the watches from Patek and Prints thier branding on it. Then would patek give them replacement dials say if they mess up the printing without taking back the damaged one?

I only ask because On that perticular dial to my naked Eye the T&C logo looks a bit slanted.

Maybe someone with better Photoshop skills can draw some lines and check.

663eda0bb45d72ea5c86529d13129ee8.jpg

Looks like N is Missing some paint as well
6cf82be1a0aa4b0b853f9dfaa734bc9d.jpg

Here is my hack job with the iPhone cropping tool:

4fc9f8fba3137f2b99c2cdf39cf78323.jpg

This leads me to another question. Could this be an aftermarket print (like being discussed non this thread) on Gen Dial? Just some opportunistic MoFo tring to make a massive profit from the T&C signed Hyped Premium.

Last edited:

Keylog74

14/6/13
I only ask because On that perticular dial to my naked Eye the T&C logo looks a bit slanted.

Together with BIONONE we, worked the last week on a making a cad file for the pad machine to brand dials with this specific logo. Having done a lot of research we fund out that all dials
Have a low printing CQ.

I spoke to someone who gave me the inside on how this works. Tiffany has a special relationship with Patek. Most of the dial are branded by Tiffany, also Tiffany is the oldest and major Patek retailer in USA dated from 1851.

2018 nautilus :

blob:null/3e7e450c-84fa-9c41-8a88-01859d7df912

Last edited:

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Together with BIONONE we, worked the last week on a making a cad file for the pad machine to brand dials with this specific logo. Having done a lot of research we fund out that all dials
Have a low printing CQ.

I spoke to someone who gave me the inside on how this works. Tiffany has a special relationship with Patek. Most of the dial are branded by Tiffany, also Tiffany is the oldest and major Patek retailer in USA dated from 1851.

Thanks for the great project! And sounds like you guys did your research.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes. I would be interested in getting something done.

Will the same print work on both Aquanaut and Nautilus?

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Yeah.. You should see some of the vintage Rolex with Tiffany on it, they are a mess!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

BIONONE

28/4/17
The quality of the stamp is whack in many cases... Some of the prints look like they printed 30 dials with it without cleaning it properly so the serifs got missing and it looks like a comic font from word.

... ok i'm over exaggerating a bit. But you know what i mean.
Some stamps are more crisp than others, some dont even match the color of the patek logo due to low opacity... Let alone some really messy vintage stamps - but that is another story. Adds character doesn't it? hehe

I made two files for the print - one with a bit thicker lines to eliminate the risk of loosing detail during the printing and one with very fine details in case the pad printer will reproduce the digital file 1:1

In the first run the file is especially designed to the nautilus dial as the 5167 uses a different location for the stamp and ervything has to sign up perfectly without improvising. Once we have the correct thickness of the font the scaling of a new pad print clichee is just a matter of demand and costs i think. Doing all this work for only a hand full of dials is most presumably too expensive.

Jean_Paul_Belmondo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
MULTI ACCOUNT
1/6/17
I've been thinking of doing the same thing for years now, it was one of my dream projects to build a franken nautilus with tiffany dial stamp. If you guys can make a proper stamp it will be amazing.
Sign me up, I'm ready contribute in some type of way.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
The quality of the stamp is whack in many cases... Some of the prints look like they printed 30 dials with it without cleaning it properly so the serifs got missing and it looks like a comic font from word.

... ok i'm over exaggerating a bit. But you know what i mean.
Some stamps are more crisp than others, some dont even match the color of the patek logo due to low opacity... Let alone some really messy vintage stamps - but that is another story. Adds character doesn't it? hehe

I made two files for the print - one with a bit thicker lines to eliminate the risk of loosing detail during the printing and one with very fine details in case the pad printer will reproduce the digital file 1:1

In the first run the file is especially designed to the nautilus dial as the 5167 uses a different location for the stamp and ervything has to sign up perfectly without improvising. Once we have the correct thickness of the font the scaling of a new pad print clichee is just a matter of demand and costs i think. Doing all this work for only a hand full of dials is most presumably too expensive.

You are correct on everything.

I see creation of a new plate as ~$100 tops, right? I am happy to drop some funds for a couple to be built if needed.

However, looking around, the size of the Nautilus stamp looks to be the same exact one used on the Aquanaut, and the other dress watches (e.g. Calatravas etc). I think just the one will get us 90% of the way there

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
I love this kind of projects, passion and genius! :lovestruck:

However... I really do not feel any value in the Tiffany logo on watches. Or anything for what it matters. Damn I wish I was passionate about it in order to desire one now that this proejct is running ... :(

Last edited:

BIONONE

28/4/17
You are correct on everything.

I see creation of a new plate as ~$100 tops, right? I am happy to drop some funds for a couple to be built if needed.

However, looking around, the size of the Nautilus stamp looks to be the same exact one used on the Aquanaut, and the other dress watches (e.g. Calatravas etc). I think just the one will get us 90% of the way there

I will examine the aquanaut topic in the next few days. Maybe we have a winner with our first file ;)

Reactions: MasterWatch