• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Thinking about making a Tiffany & Co. Stamp for Nautilus

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
So, I'm not sure how many people do and don't follow my pics and stuff, but in another life I used to be a major model enthusiast, including painting. I don't really want to get into what qualifies me, but let's just say that I did airbrushing and hand painting with all major paint types, on a variety of materials, at incredibly small scales. When I saw the images on Hodinkee's site where they actually stamp the dial, and a blue dial Tiffany stamped Nautilus sell for $350,000, I decided to see if it is something I can do.

Tiffany & Co use a simple set up, and while they have a fancier rubber stamp, I think I could make do with a simple rubber stamp.

Here is how Tiffany does it:

PP_Tiff_11adb42ba8b92a025f.jpg

PP_Tiff_3f2cf155707f66f32.jpg

PP_Tiff_1547ab6287653c0fea.jpg

PP_Tiff_108e472b4d76da9b0b.jpg

The difficult part is finding the piece of equipment they use to stamp it. I'll need some sort of slow and steady system I can gently pull the stamp down reliably accurately.

Any idea what this might be called?

It seems to be just a matter of making a stamp and mounting it to the equipment.

The tricky part will then be using an appropriate ink and evenly coating the stamp without any excess ink.I have a spare PF white dial I can try it on and measure how big it will need to be.

MG_0597-360x220.jpg

More to come, but this seems reasonably affordable and something that, if executed well, could be worthwhile.

Edit:
I've created a raster file to upload to a website. I had to mess with the spacing because, as you'll notice, there is NO SPACE between the "&Co.", and a very small space between the "y &". Here it is, ready to upload:
tiffany-co-logo-png-transparent470dfc0c4b25dcf0.jpg

Further evidence on a Nautilus:
9n2d11rrvw02123e646e3e1763ec5.jpg

Once I get measurements, I'll make a custom stamp (and see if they allow me to haha)

Last edited:

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16

Perfect.

I've reached out to a couple plate vendors asking if they are willing to make me a plate with the raster file I have above. I am going to get exact dimensions, but I just told them it will be a very small print and will get them dimensions if they can do it.

I also found an electric one as well thats around the same price ($200). If this goes well, we can get a few plates made for the older Rolex/Patek models as well as a smaller logo for the Aquanaut dial (I think it is a smaller stamp due to the squares on the dial)

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Perfect.

I've reached out to a couple plate vendors asking if they are willing to make me a plate with the raster file I have above. I am going to get exact dimensions, but I just told them it will be a very small print and will get them dimensions if they can do it.

I also found an electric one as well thats around the same price ($200). If this goes well, we can get a few plates made for the older Rolex/Patek models as well as a smaller logo for the Aquanaut dial (I think it is a smaller stamp due to the squares on the dial)

ohhhh maybe a comex logo ?

:D

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
ohhhh maybe a comex logo ?

:D

Yeah probably actually. If I can find a person/company willing to make the plates, they're relatively cheap (~$30). Then it becomes a matter of just rinse and repeat. The trick is finding a good plate maker who will make these custom logos

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Yeah probably actually. If I can find a person/company willing to make the plates, they're relatively cheap (~$30). Then it becomes a matter of just rinse and repeat. The trick is finding a good plate maker who will make these custom logos

I really enjoy the fact that you have the experience to handle such a small silk printing.
There are not many people that can see the difference between a letter with 0.7mm high and a letter with 1mm high...

So, the way that most of high end dials are printed is with a pad printer ( i call them silicon ball printer).
You need a cliche as a "prototype" and a small amount of silk print paint.

Procedure goes like this:

a) Fit the dial on the printer plate for it.
Scan them with a plain scanner (and then correct scanners fault inside your vector app) to have an almost accurate possitioning
for your design.

b) order a blanc piece of steel at the same measures with your printers' plate for dial. ~10$
c) give the piece of steel and your file (use plates' square shape among with dials' cyrcle for registration in the file) to a shop that does jewerly carving and etching (mostly with laser). ~10$
If you don't have a shop like this in your range, use silk printing to create a mask and do yourself the etching as you can see in youtube.
d) Fill silk printing paint only in the letters that you need. Apply and wipe the excess in one move using a razor. Sounds too much, it's very easy for anyone.
e) "Grab" the paint by pressing the silicon ball on it, carefully replace your piece of steel with printers plate that has your dial, press it back gently and cross fingers!

This is a beautiful watchmaking procedure that you will enjoy and create the gen appearance more than everything else.

In case that you have available a flat bed printer (mostly in bellow the line advertising offices) that can print letters close to 2pt, its a "shortcut" that you can
use and save steps b), d), and e). After a bunch of tests you will gain (hopefully) the right position and a result very similar to silk printing.

Enjoy it!

ps: i can see that your PF dial has a "leveled" surface. That allows you to have a full coverage contact with a "silk" mask.
So, if you can achieve a perfect register among dial and mask (use dials' register on your mask OR greate one in case that hasn't)
you can save time and money creating your mask at home and do a lot of tests before the final print.

Last edited:

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
That´s a great project. I would love to add a Tiffany logo to my aquanaut.

Doud

I'm Pretty Popular
5/11/12
Really interested in this project. Hope you manage to find everything you need.

It’s a pity the dial factories don’t think of doing it themselves and selling the double signed dials as extra options with the reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Just saw a video of F P Journe on ther Instagram that might interest you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1JOBgnC...d=kr5od4nigylc

This is perfect. Matches another video I saw as well. I will need to get a smaller silicon pad that will house the ink solely for the Tiffany logo. I worry that a big pad might damage or knock the markers loose. Total cost of this project will be probably $300-400 :(

Still undecided which kind of silicon pad printing I want. Most likely will do the manual one as I have more control.

I found a local place that has high DPI laser engraving for metal. They said they have experience doing pad printing in the past and will help make a plate for me. they need to know size, depth of engraving (for the ink) and will need to make a few so we get the size just right. I think this might come together.

Last edited:
Reactions: MonsieurMax

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Great project ! Always loved pad printing but never got around to making the machine, most of the ink, mold for the pads, squeegees and other stuff can be found on cousinuk website, so I'm pretty sure you can find it on its US equivalent

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
This is perfect. Matches another video I saw as well. I will need to get a smaller silicon pad that will house the ink solely for the Tiffany logo. I worry that a big pad might damage or knock the markers loose. Total cost of this project will be probably $300-400 :(

Still undecided which kind of silicon pad printing I want. Most likely will do the manual one as I have more control.

I found a local place that has high DPI laser engraving for metal. They said they have experience doing pad printing in the past and will help make a plate for me. they need to know size, depth of engraving (for the ink) and will need to make a few so we get the size just right. I think this might come together.

I 'm sure that you dont need a smaller silicon pad. Markers' ink is cured and the pad has very gentle surface.

To deside about pads' shape you need to consider your dial leveling.
A dial with high markers may need a conical pad to equalize its' level when touch the dial.
For an almost leveled dial, like yours, a ball shaped or other simple shape will work.
You can use a scaner to achieve the right size and the register.
The depth in your video looks like 0.2mm and has a "cleaned" surface at the bottom.

In case you have a drill press near, you can attach the pad on its' choke even with masking tape.
No need for accurancy, you just need it perform the same for a couple of times.

One of those desktop hand drill press holders will also help if you like to save money.

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
majwilliams0308

This is the same technique the date disk are produced. If your attempt fails send me the file and see if the guy who produces them can do it :)

Reactions: MonsieurMax

daft772

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/5/19
Wow I’d be interested in this too. What if it’s done by using a decal. Would u be able to tell vs printed?

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Wow I’d be interested in this too. What if it’s done by using a decal. Would u be able to tell vs printed?

I’ve been looking into decals too because that would be easier to control. For black stamps it would be actually pretty easy (white dials), but a white ink printer for the white logo is going to be difficult, unless someone has that printer/expertise?

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Seems like it's something wrong with my posts, did my poor english annoying you? There is no problem, just inform me to see what can i do about.

There is no way to hide a decal in such a fine surface. Been honest, the only way to "hide" a decal is to be created to cover the dial complete.
Then you will have the final surface "finnished" accordind the type of clear decal that you choose (glossy, matte or satin).
The apply of decal will be as much difficult as any other method but you will not have the option to correct its' placing because it will might destroy the other silk prints.

There are some other "waterslide" decals that you can use but you need the same procedure to print white (with coverage) on them like if you print the dial alone.
Also you will need to "finish" them with clear coat or bake them...

I can't suggest you those ways cause their result, if you manage to achieve the best of them, will have far less quality than the gens' silk or enamel printing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two kind of printers that can help you printing white on dial, best with flatbed printers and some large format printers that have roll feeding and you will
work a lot to achieve any kind of stable register (centering) on them.

With a flatbed will be less than an hour to achive the right possition and the result will be very close (99%) of the gen while it will be strong with the same durability
as silk printing against the sun or an excess of lubricant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a look on youtube about silk printing at home. It's the easiest method, very low cost against any other method and your final result will be just like the gen.
Just don't try to make a silk page on your own, its fine for a tshirt but you need accurancy and it's better to have a pack of 10 for a couple of $ at your nearest
hobby store etc.

It's also very easy to make a small jig for the silk printing that will allow you to handle small "production" if anyone here wants to have a dial like that.

Reactions: majwilliams0308