• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Calatrava Officer’s Caseback 5227

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Ivan0209 glad you say that mate.. I've had some discussions with fellow members in here about this issue.

The times I've been to AD's and seen Pateks, Rolex', different Vacheron and JLC models: I haven't been in awe over these watches when comparing them with the reps. It's not like there is a big difference to the gens. It's very subtle.
Specially when considering the price tag many of the gens aren't worth buying.
Off course there are models that are very special within these brands.

A brand that did impress me though was A. Lange & Söhne. Even their entry level Saxonia Thin was so well build and of high quality it just was exceptional.

The F. P. Journe Chronometre Souverain had a very nice gold movement but the watch itself wasn't a big wow. The build quality and finishing doesn't seem as good as A Lange & Söhne.

Sometimes we hang ourselves up in small indifferent details about the reps. On the wrist it's totally fine and a gen wouldn't make a big difference.

XLR8R

Renowned Member
16/8/18
Yo guys today i tried on the 5227 gen in yellow gold at my regular AD here in singapore........and the weight is negligible. I was wearing my 5167 from zf and the weight is nearly identical in the hand. One thing to note is the rep's hinge sticks out a little more than the gen, nothing major but the gen is flush. Dial is nice tho unremarkable and honestly it was very underwhelming, much better to buy rep imo. Also the yellow gold which i thought would be my choice looks horrible against my tan yellow asian skin -_- Overall, size of the watch is perfect and thickness shouldnt be a issue as well, being quit a bit thicker than the 5167 i was wearing. AD also quoted me 3500USD for a replacement strap + deployant, usual crazy prices here in sg :(

Just order an strap from Camile Fournet if i remember correctly they make straps for Patek aswell.I paid around 300-400 cant remember the price correctly but it was something like that. If your deployant clasp is hard to open just put it in baby oil for a day and wash it with hot water and soap after that.

Last edited:

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Yo guys today i tried on the 5227 gen in yellow gold at my regular AD here in singapore........and the weight is negligible. I was wearing my 5167 from zf and the weight is nearly identical in the hand. One thing to note is the rep's hinge sticks out a little more than the gen, nothing major but the gen is flush. Dial is nice tho unremarkable and honestly it was very underwhelming, much better to buy rep imo. Also the yellow gold which i thought would be my choice looks horrible against my tan yellow asian skin -_- Overall, size of the watch is perfect and thickness shouldnt be a issue as well, being quit a bit thicker than the 5167 i was wearing. AD also quoted me 3500USD for a replacement strap + deployant, usual crazy prices here in sg :(

You wore the ZF in a Patek’s shop? Did they ignore it or did they ask/compliment it?

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17

You do know that wearing a rep in an AD, in addition to not being very smart, is forbidden here on this forum and you can get banned for doing so? 2nd person doing that this week...

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Ivan0209 glad you say that mate.. I've had some discussions with fellow members in here about this issue.

The times I've been to AD's and seen Pateks, Rolex', different Vacheron and JLC models: I haven't been in awe over these watches when comparing them with the reps. It's not like there is a big difference to the gens. It's very subtle.
Specially when considering the price tag many of the gens aren't worth buying.
Off course there are models that are very special within these brands.

A brand that did impress me though was A. Lange & Söhne. Even their entry level Saxonia Thin was so well build and of high quality it just was exceptional.

The F. P. Journe Chronometre Souverain had a very nice gold movement but the watch itself wasn't a big wow. The build quality and finishing doesn't seem as good as A Lange & Söhne.

Sometimes we hang ourselves up in small indifferent details about the reps. On the wrist it's totally fine and a gen wouldn't make a big difference.

Yeah honestly i am looking to get a journe centigraphe or a ALS datograph gen soon, the only watches gen i'm really lusting after due to the very very subtle difference.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
You do know that wearing a rep in an AD, in addition to not being very smart, is forbidden here on this forum and you can get banned for doing so? 2nd person doing that this week...

Oh really? Never knew that sorry guys, i buy a lot from that AD so i thought it was NBD. They know me pretty okay so thought it shouldn't be an issue, sorry bout that again everyone!

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Yeah they said nice aquanaut did you get it from us? Even let them hold it and look at the movement and guess what he said? "gorgeous" Apparently they think it's gen, maybe aquanauts are that rare

100% sure they noticed it is a rep, they just have a policy of not embarassing the (possible) customers and avoiding confrontation.

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
100% sure they noticed it is a rep, they just have a policy of not embarassing the (possible) customers and avoiding confrontation.

Mmmmm maybe not cos it's my regular AD and he knows i wear reps sometimes, as Tobel has said they aren't too knowledgeable. Plus we are very nitpicky and the zf aquanaut's movement at arm's length looks alright imo.

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17

Of course not, you are 100% sure, I’m 110% sure they don’t, they are sellers, not technicians or watchmakers, sometimes they barely know the models they sell, also I have realized that the only people who know when a watch is a rep are the same people who buys reps, since people who buy gens do not care to know the differences between the rep and the gen since they have the possibility to buy gene they don’t care abut rep, I used to be that gen guy until a gene was stolen from me and I decided to move to the rep world.

Also people have asked me to consider selling my 5167, obviously you don't have to brag in these situations and just change the topic

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Of course not, you are 100% sure, I’m 110% sure they don’t, they are sellers, not technicians or watchmakers, sometimes they barely know the models they sell, also I have realized that the only people who know when a watch is a rep are the same people who buys reps, since people who buy gens do not care to know the differences between the rep and the gen since they have the possibility to buy gene they don’t care abut rep, I used to be that gen guy until a gene was stolen from me and I decided to move to the rep world.

I do not agree but I will not argue.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia

Also people have asked me to consider selling my 5167, obviously you don't have to brag in these situations and just change the topic

What you are saying is true in many instances. Here we have a shopping center with a lot of different brands where they sell JLC and Vacheron Constantin in the jewellery department. The sellers there don't know much about watches other than the introductions they've been given about the watches. They're often common sellers who have been sellers for branded clothes before and now they are sellers at a watch store.
But in Patek Philippe stores it's often different.

Last edited:
Reactions: clk168 and cap923

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
Hold on tight you guys, this one is gonna be a long one with a nice dose of colorful comparisons

guess who knocked my door yesterday?? :D

Untitled.jpg

20190918-140129.jpg

First thing first, The reps looked great in the little air sucked nylon cases they provided, not the greatest looking, but it serves the purpose, definitely will be used when I move around my watches..

So, here where we start.. I have to disclose something, unfortunately, my BP 5227G with white dial that I bought as the first rep in the series, went dead on me few weeks back.. it's like, it knew I have made my decision to purchase the new ZF rep. so in the purpose of this detailed post, I will not include it with the three, however, I will put up some detailed pics of the new ZF one, but no comparison, as to be honest, it shares the same features with the other BP and ZF reps..

so let's go..

Below you will see the R version with the famous grey CF strap that went trending all over is the BP, the brown strap with the ZF tag is obviously!! you know!!! ZF maybe?? :D and same goes with the G version, the BP is with the Gen PP strap.

Now from the first very first look when having them side by side from a distance, and perhaps even before taking off the wrap on the new reps, I can totally notice that the PATEK PHILIPPE logo is bold on the ZF compared to the BP, and honestly, I have seen the gen in person, it is not that bold and in your face.. when I was looking at it while taking the pictures, it was really bothering me, as you can not un see it, and especially that my eyes are used to the BP logo.. but in all honesty, when I wear the rep, and look at my wrist, it's not that bad, yes it is bad when we have both BP and ZF next to each other, but I can see how it won't be a real issue down the line wearing the rep, especially when pimping it with the CF or gen PP straps.. you will forget about it and won't see it, in the other hand, people will notice that it is a PP more now as the boldness and the sharpness of the logo makes it much easier to spot from far away, so aaahh this could be a plus for some people, been wearing the black dial now for few hours, and the logo font doesn't even occur to me.

20190919-144944.jpg

here is a pic of a gen so you can see what I am talking about... the gen font boldness sits in between the BP and the ZF

Untitled.jpg

So let's start the comparison shall we? I will only compare the 5227R to save time, as the rest will have similar results..

20190919-145037.jpg

20190919-145050.jpg

20190919-145103.jpg

From what I have been seeing with my eyes, the ZF has more rounded shape to the rep, now BP is more sharp on edges, so the ZF has more flow like the gen, I never noticed this to be honest on the BP until I put them next to each other.. the DW window on the ZF has thinner depth, the BP is a tad deeper, which again gives it to the ZF as it looks closer to gen.. the color of the dial is immaculate.. what a great color.. ZF nailed it.. again I wore the gen in an AD once, and now seeing the ZF dial, the color is perfect, where BP is way too white. forget about the pics on the net with different lighting, the color is perfect in real life.

now the side profiles

20190919-145131.jpg

20190919-145213.jpg

As you can see the hinges on the side for the ZF are much closer to gen than the BP..

20190919-145250.jpg

20190919-145315.jpg

then the back of the reps..

20190919-145332.jpg

20190919-145410.jpg

only thing I have noticed, which goes for the whole reps is that the ZF shows much better engraving process, deeper and more clear, that goes for the engravings on the case and buckle

20190919-145440.jpg

20190919-145524.jpg

The movements are of course night and day.. mind you, you need to know that the BP is the first generation that came out, the none decorated movement, I took those because I never cared for the decorated movements as they tend to thicken up the rep, and the gen is pretty thin.. so I was very satisfied with the thickness of the BP, and didn't worry about the fake decoration, but when I saw the decoration on the ZF, I was very scared that now, the rep is thicker, to my surprise, those factories advanced soooooo much since the creation of the BP 5227, that now with the decoration, it is thinner than the one without decoration,, who would of thought?? (more over on the thickness comparison later). Now when it came for the hinges, the ZF is spot on like the gen hinges.. where BP as good as they did, the hinges were a bit curvy and not executed exactly like gen, where ZF just nailed it.. I know it's not a big deal, but it's a plus for sure, and made me realize the efforts put into making things so perfect.

Let's move on..

20190919-145602.jpg

20190919-145632.jpg

The higher level of engraving made me want to also use the ZF buckle when changing the strap to the CF strap, in the beginning before seeing this, I thought, it's the same size buckle, I will just leave the BP buckle on the strap when I change it, but after seeing the engraving quality on the ZF buckle, made my mind to also change it.. and that made me discover one more thing in the process.. see below

20190919-150958.jpg

While changing the buckle I realized that ZF actually went through the trouble of adding the rose gold springbar, where my old BP rose gold buckle was carrying a steel springbar.. I mean, ZF is just out of this world, I can't think of any Chinese factory that would sink in this level of detail, it's crazy how just in that moment, I realized that when you see the buckle from the side, the RG spring would make the buckle seamless and rich as the springbar completes it and no other color would disrupt the fluidity, where the BP as small of a detail as it is, and as expected from rep manufacturers, when I look at it now, I see this dot in the middle of the buckle that looks a bit odd.. ZF you get 5 stars for the extra mile you have gone for finish quality..

Now let's start comparing measurements shall we? Before we do, one point I want to raise here, the comparison is based on the first generation BP 5227, which as I said before, none decorated, the versions that came after, BP jumped on the decorated movement wagon, and added the fake bridges as it became a fad since then, and the result was getting a thicker rep than the version that I have.. so for the measurements, you need to know that the BP I have is the thinnest 5227 out there, and if you want to compare it with the later versions that have the decorated movement, expect BP to be even thicker.

20190919-145833.jpg

20190919-145935.jpg

half mm from the gen.. great job from both on that, and who knows, if I had the gen, it might be the exact 38.5mm, when they state it's 39 for rounding up purposes..

20190919-150051.jpg

20190919-150216.jpg

And here was the surprise, measuring the thickness of the two reps, ZF having the decorated movement, and BP without, I realized that the ZF is thinner than the BP.. huge advancement in the rep world.. kudos to the Chinese.. doing a really great job.. that measurement is for the rep with the top of the crystal.. having slept on it last night, I was thinking to myself, but the gen stats are for the thickness without the crystal, so today I pulled out the BP again, though without a strap now as I changed it yesterday to the ZF, and as I am wearing the ZF 5227G (which is the same measurement of the R version) I decided to give it another go to measure them without the crystal to see if it comes close to the gen of 9.24mm thickness.. and here is the result..

BP below:

20190920-102130.jpg

And ZF below:

20190920-101945.jpg

BRAVOOOOOOOOO ZF.. confirmed, thickness of the ZF including a lovely looking decorated movement is 9.2mm same as gen.. this is for me the most exciting news today.. diameter 39mm, and thickness 9.2mm with decorated movement just like gen.. all I can say is WOW!! :D

Let's keep going with the stats for lug and buckle..

20190919-150342.jpg

20190919-150418.jpg

Another star for spot on lug size like gen

20190919-150439.jpg

20190919-150453.jpg

and this conclude the comparison.. the ZF factory went out of their way to produce something spectacular, no holding back, paying attention to details.. definitely replicating a gen that they had in their hands.. the BP rep is very very good.. especially the first version as it was at the time the thinnest, and we all know that this particular watch is so sleek and classic, the best element in it was the size and how thin it sits on your wrist, making the new versions higher, and as much as it was not a big deal, ZF showed us that it could be done.. bravo... my only note is the thickness of the logo font, I wish it was done a bit thinner, to resemble the gen, but like I said, on the wrist, the more bold logo is hardly noticeable..

now I will put out some pics of the 5227G white and black dial to make this review show all but the 5227Y which I was never a fan of unfortunately, so I didn't get it. enjoy the pics..

20190919-155704.jpg

20190919-155716.jpg

20190919-155725.jpg

20190919-155735.jpg

20190919-155750.jpg

20190919-155808.jpg

20190919-155817.jpg

and the black dial on the PP gen strap.. unfortunately, the gen strap I got my hands on is 19mmX14mm, so as you can see there is a bit of gap with the buckle.. but that doesn't bother me, in the end, it's hosting a Patek Philippe strap, and to me is more joyful..

20190920-104646.jpg

20190920-104749.jpg

20190920-104811.jpg

20190920_104840.jpg

I hope you enjoined it.. my last comment.. great rep, hugeeeeeeeeeeeee upgrade, worth the money for sure, and if you host the rep with a PP gen strap or Camille Fournet strap, you got your self the closest rep to gen ever produced.

kind regards,

Godfathar

Last edited:

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
Adding Another Rep in my wishlist.
Thanks for the review.
I have 5296r. and considering 5227g.

Reactions: Godfathar

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I hope you enjoined it.. my last comment.. great rep, hugeeeeeeeeeeeee upgrade, worth the money for sure, and if you host the rep with a PP gen strap or Camille Fournet strap, you got your self the closest rep to gen ever produced.

kind regards,

Godfathar

You nailed it man! Once again. Reading your review is like reading a scientific article with all the measurements, documentation, comparison....and added with your interesting views and personal experience :D Seriously.. thanks for the review. Might have to add the black dial on my wishlist.

Reactions: Godfathar

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
It took 2 days to construct.. but it's the least I can do to contribute back to one of the most amazing places that taught me so much. I'm glad to be of help..

Some asked me why you didn't start it as its own thread.. I think it's only fair to leave it where the author took the time to find this rep when it first came out and alert all of us..

Thank you to everyone who contributed.

mottykytu

4/6/13
Hold on tight you guys, this one is gonna be a long one with a nice dose of colorful comparisons

guess who knocked my door yesterday?? :D

oh my, how can you have 3 beauties at the same times... you will suffer choosing The One to wear everyday...

p/s:
Is the Dial-colour of the white-gold version exactly the same as the rose-gold ? or they are different?

Last edited:

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
oh my, how can you have 3 beauties at the same times... you will suffer choosing The One to wear everyday...

p/s:
Is the Dial-colour of the white-gold version exactly the same as the rose-gold ? or they are different?

Exactly the same buddy..

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
Great review as always I enjoyed it.

Regarding the thin deco movement, a few weeks ago I told wrote her that my 5227 stopped, I took it to repair and the watchmaker told me that the reason why this happened is because a wheel was loose / poorly accommodated (I'm honestly not an expert on the technical issue) and the reason for this was because they tried to make the watch very thin and that the decoration somehow affects the movement, however they could easily fix it and my watch runs perfectly now.

A question about your CF and PP straps.. are they looking as glossy as at the beginning or as time goes by they start to get a matt finish?

Greetings and enjoy your watches, you're making me think of buying the black dial haha