• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Calatrava Officer’s Caseback 5227

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
Is it me or is the dial print bolder on the ZF versus the gen? at least on the cream dial.

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
Is it me or is the dial print bolder on the ZF versus the gen? at least on the cream dial.

I tought the same, but it is the reflection of the same font, being its own shadow that makes it seem thicker, I ordered mine and in person it looks perfect.

BTW.. Mine stopped working, I hope it's something that my local watchmaker can fix

Reactions: axel.gold

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
it is the reflection of the same font, being its own shadow that makes it seem thicker

+1

The print sits on top of a layer of clear coat to give the impression of depth like on a real enamel dial. At least it seems so that they wanted to imitate it this way.

And in the end i doubt it will get any better than this in the near future... The demand is not comparable to the 5711 range or a 15400 where you could update every new stock every few month if you want to... well JF does it this way hehe but thats not the point.

Reactions: SpootyPuff

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I tought the same, but it is the reflection of the same font, being its own shadow that makes it seem thicker, I ordered mine and in person it looks perfect.

BTW.. Mine stopped working, I hope it's something that my local watchmaker can fix

Hope so...Quite unusual with Miyotas, they're normally reliable. Maybe your kid dropped it?

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
HAHA no kid at the moment, It just sopped...

I know I shouldn't ask this, but who knows, did you try winding it? try winding it 30-40 times.. and see what will happen.. is the second hand stuck? do you see the mainspring in the back moving? or is it dead? I think it won't be a very big issue.. hopefully it would be solved with a simple service with a watch maker.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
I know I shouldn't ask this, but who knows, did you try winding it? try winding it 30-40 times.. and see what will happen.. is the second hand stuck? do you see the mainspring in the back moving? or is it dead? I think it won't be a very big issue.. hopefully it would be solved with a simple service with a watch maker.

The thing is that if I move my hand abruptly (out of the ordinary) it works for 2-3 minutes and then stops. Try to wind it but the problem continued. Yesterday I took it with the watchm aker, he told me that today he would check it, it shouldn't be something from other world... I hope so.

The good thing that I have my 5296 to replace it by this time hehe.
BTW today will arive my grey CF strap for my 5296, I am very excited.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
The thing is that if I move my hand abruptly (out of the ordinary) it works for 2-3 minutes and then stops. Try to wind it but the problem continued. Yesterday I took it with the watchm aker, he told me that today he would check it, it shouldn't be something from other world... I hope so.

The good thing that I have my 5296 to replace it by this time hehe.
BTW today will arive my grey CF strap for my 5296, I am very excited.

Sounds like a problem with the spring barrel or the the gears before that. Can also be a loose rotor. Sometimes you can't wind it manually if the rotor is loose because it doesn't keep the spring wound.
If that's the case it should be fixable. I don't think it's the mechanism between the spring barrel and escapement or onwards, or it wouldn't be able to run for some minutes.

Interesting strap color,

Last edited:

Noobguy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/11/18
United Kingdom
Hey Guys, hope all is well. Looking for some insight here if possible? I've always been a watch man but I'm fairly new to the rep world. I want to dive into the new PP 5227R in an attempt to segregate myself from the world of rolex-fanboys. The only thing I am concerned about, which I have struggled to find, is a decent review of the running of the watch. If anybody here has one, have you had any issues with the miyota? How long have you had it and is it still running ok? Not expecting out of this world performance, but less than 10 minutes a day would be fantastic lol.

Thanks troops!

Noobguy

Reactions: cap923

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Hey Guys, hope all is well. Looking for some insight here if possible? I've always been a watch man but I'm fairly new to the rep world. I want to dive into the new PP 5227R in an attempt to segregate myself from the world of rolex-fanboys. The only thing I am concerned about, which I have struggled to find, is a decent review of the running of the watch. If anybody here has one, have you had any issues with the miyota? How long have you had it and is it still running ok? Not expecting out of this world performance, but less than 10 minutes a day would be fantastic lol.

Thanks troops!

Noobguy

I don't have a 5227 but i have a ZF 5167 aquanaut running on the same 324CS decorated miyota. Been bringing it on trips around the world and banging it up, still runs under 5s/d and is smooth as anything. But it's a luck of the draw thing i reckon some people here have a lot of issues with it sometimes as ZF QC is shoddy at best sometimes.

Reactions: Noobguy

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
Any updates on the RG with regards to the dial?

Trying to gauge the general consensus whether it’s too yellow or that’s just dealer pics.

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Yo guys today i tried on the 5227 gen in yellow gold at my regular AD here in singapore........and the weight is negligible. I was wearing my 5167 from zf and the weight is nearly identical in the hand. One thing to note is the rep's hinge sticks out a little more than the gen, nothing major but the gen is flush. Dial is nice tho unremarkable and honestly it was very underwhelming, much better to buy rep imo. Also the yellow gold which i thought would be my choice looks horrible against my tan yellow asian skin -_- Overall, size of the watch is perfect and thickness shouldnt be a issue as well, being quit a bit thicker than the 5167 i was wearing. AD also quoted me 3500USD for a replacement strap + deployant, usual crazy prices here in sg :(

Reactions: MonsieurMax