• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Next Patek Philippe purchase advice need from you !

mottykytu

4/6/13
Hi guys,

I have just purchased the PPF 5711 and like it aesthetic ALOT, that's why I'm going to buy another Patek . but i'm now in Hard situation to decide what Patek I should take so I need your advices thank you. I have read a lot from here and scale down to the last 3 options !
Here is my 2 options (They both from ZF, they did a good job in Patek)
1/ ZF Aquanaut 5167a best version (470 $)
201916f1dad1-7c53-4c23-aacd-1dbaa9940a8c.jpg

2/ ZF Calatrava 5296G (417$)
2019679428ab-96e4-4c79-9529-21d74465a134.jpg

I have some following criteria, from highest to lowest.

1/ Some thing that I won’t regret in the future for not having it, and it Iconic enough to stay in my collection for decades… (obviously if a rep can, lol)

2/ Some thing which is Less flaws and more closse to gen

3/ Some thing more people will quickly recognize as a “Patek”

4/ Something that I will “hardly” see the better version in the near future (Months?), I do not want something that upgrades by factories every months. It should hold the status of “BEST REP ON THE MARKET” of this model for about 2-3 years.
I’m quite too much about perfection, so I do not want to spend money every months to upgrade to better version (because more than likely I will if the really better version come)

5/ Some thing that quite different from the Mass others Sub/omega out there. And can go in some little bit rougher situation :) !

THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH, I WILL APPRICIATE YOUR OPINION AND ADVICES !

P/S: One Alternative I’m also considered is another ZF (Wow they really did a good job last year…)
The ZF Jaeger MUC
2019e2fb893a-bc1c-4f67-a2a0-51b0dd5e9583.jpg

Last edited:

gianttg

Renowned Member
11/4/15
none of above
no such rep thing will meet your expectation
but both of them are good rep

irvin

21/9/15
SG
Points 1/2 - Mod or Franken the 5167A unless you can accept the flaws on it.

Point 3 - 5167A , sport models gains more wrist presence and attention, unless your dress piece has sparkling diamonds on it.

Point 4 - Solutions to 1 and 2 eliminate this problem.

Point 5 - Definitely more 5167A out in the wild than the Calatrava. But still non beats the amount of subs out there. Get a Gshock for rougher situations if you treasure your watches be it gen or rep, else be prepared to spend money fixing or live with the scars.

JLC MUC - That’s not a Patek, you’ll still come back for the Patek eventually. But that’s a good pick thou, I tried wearing that for awhile and it definitely flies under the radar unless you’re in a luxury watch community.

Reactions: mottykytu

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
not if you know what white gold looks like.

Unless you have a white gold watch next to it you won't be able to tell. On the other side the aquanaut has a too strong sunburst effect, slightly thicker than gen case, a crystal that shows a white border when the light hits strong and has a datewheel that needs to be replaced by a custom one. So I'm not saying that the calatrava is perfect, I said it's more accurate

Reactions: mottykytu

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Unless you have a white gold watch next to it you won't be able to tell. On the other side the aquanaut has a too strong sunburst effect, slightly thicker than gen case, a crystal that shows a white border when the light hits strong and has a datewheel that needs to be replaced by a custom one. So I'm not saying that the calatrava is perfect, I said it's more accurate

I don't understand why ZF Aquanaut is preferred on the forum. KMF with the date wheel mod absolutely pisses on the ZF in my opinion, no one cares about the caseback!

mottykytu

4/6/13
I don't understand why ZF Aquanaut is preferred on the forum. KMF with the date wheel mod absolutely pisses on the ZF in my opinion, no one cares about the caseback!

Can you please tell me in what ways? Thank you

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17

Ahaha :) I think the KMF lacks sunburst, but otherwise I agree with you. Do you own it? How happy are you?

mottykytu

4/6/13
There's a comparison of ZF and KMF aquanauts with details, search around it has all the details

I did, and I also asked directly the person who made that comparition thread and he said ZF IS THE BEST ON THE MARKET and still are even compare to the KMF with date wheel mod!

Reactions: Tobel

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
I did, and I also asked directly the person who made that comparition thread and he said ZF IS THE BEST ON THE MARKET and still are even compare to the KMF with date wheel mod!

KMF is better in my opinion, my father owns a gen and KMF you can barely tell the difference from the front. Maybe lume is a little sloppy. To answer Tobel the ZF has far too much sunburst, KMF although having less sunburst than ZF is much more like gen. In fact ZF sunburst is actually a huge tell in my opinion. KMF with date mod is by far the best but after all its my opinion, even though I'm one of the few that has ready access to a gen to compare.

Reactions: Tobel

mottykytu

4/6/13
KMF is better in my opinion, my father owns a gen and KMF you can barely tell the difference from the front. Maybe lume is a little sloppy. To answer Tobel the ZF has far too much sunburst, KMF although having less sunburst than ZF is much more like gen. In fact ZF sunburst is actually a huge tell in my opinion. KMF with date mod is by far the best but after all its my opinion, even though I'm one of the few that has ready access to a gen to compare.

Thank you for you opinion, It lucky for you to have gen to access can compare. So I think we should kindly ask some expert who have already made in-depth review

dear majwilliams0308 , I know it may be not your situation or you are busy, but could you please kindly spent some time here to give me some advice about the ZF aquanaut OOTB vs KMF Aquanaut (with date wheel mod). If you are willing I will be appriciated alot since it will help me to choose better! Thank you very much...

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
Hi guys,

I have just purchased the PPF 5711 and like it aesthetic ALOT, that's why I'm going to buy another Patek . but i'm now in Hard situation to decide what Patek I should take so I need your advices thank you. I have read a lot from here and scale down to the last 3 options !
Here is my 2 options (They both from ZF, they did a good job in Patek)
1/ ZF Aquanaut 5167a best version (470 $)
201916f1dad1-7c53-4c23-aacd-1dbaa9940a8c.jpg

2/ ZF Calatrava 5296G (417$)
2019679428ab-96e4-4c79-9529-21d74465a134.jpg

I have some following criteria, from highest to lowest.

1/ Some thing that I won’t regret in the future for not having it, and it Iconic enough to stay in my collection for decades… (obviously if a rep can, lol)

2/ Some thing which is Less flaws and more closse to gen

3/ Some thing more people will quickly recognize as a “Patek”

4/ Something that I will “hardly” see the better version in the near future (Months?), I do not want something that upgrades by factories every months. It should hold the status of “BEST REP ON THE MARKET” of this model for about 2-3 years.
I’m quite too much about perfection, so I do not want to spend money every months to upgrade to better version (because more than likely I will if the really better version come)

5/ Some thing that quite different from the Mass others Sub/omega out there. And can go in some little bit rougher situation :) !

THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH, I WILL APPRICIATE YOUR OPINION AND ADVICES !

P/S: One Alternative I’m also considered is another ZF (Wow they really did a good job last year…)
The ZF Jaeger MUC
2019e2fb893a-bc1c-4f67-a2a0-51b0dd5e9583.jpg

IMO the Calatrava in RG version is way better. See this post https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...ek-philippe-calatrava-5296r-rg-zf-eu-only-395

CLS

Watchsmith
Supporting Vendor
10/12/11
Los Angeles
Hmm,

Many reports show that platinum , ss, white gold look 90% alike IRL, Aren't they?

Don't take my word for it, just go to a watch store and compare. I can spot white gold across the room. It's a good thing if you can't, it will be cheaper for you.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Don't take my word for it, just go to a watch store and compare. I can spot white gold across the room. It's a good thing if you can't, it will be cheaper for you.

Well i think if stainless steel is mirror polished it's very difficult to separate it from white gold. Although it's easier to see the difference between SS and platinum. As platinum is much brighter, more whitish and SS is more grey and less bright.

CLS

Watchsmith
Supporting Vendor
10/12/11
Los Angeles
Well i think if stainless steel is mirror polished it's very difficult to separate it from white gold. Although it's easier to see the difference between SS and platinum. As platinum is much brighter, more whitish and SS is more grey and less bright.

Add to that "white gold is more yellow."
To me, there's a much bigger difference between white gold and stainless than stainless and platinum.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057