• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What happen with my new PPF 5711, What I just found out? and How I DIY protect the Ceramic Ball

mottykytu

4/6/13
What happen to my PPF 5711, What I just found out and How I DIY Fix Ceramic Ball problem?

1/ WHAT HAPPEN TO MY NEW PPF 5711 Receive
  • Just receive my PPF 5711 From a very well know TD (but not TD here anymore). From the beginning everything is just fine, I’m actually happy because it is one of the most Aligned (Marker/DW) example I have seen on QC…
  • 60491757-463333507751663-3630527892439433216-n.jpg
! Actually it run, but Even when I shake it (miyota 9015) in both clockwise and couter, the second hand only run for 10-15 seconds and then stop, repeately.
I then contact my Dealer and they said I should wind it manually 30-40 times and tap it to make it run, I tried but the problem still the same.
Then I decide I could not return it to them for reparing after a long wait so I decide to come up with local watchmaker and he did a good job of fixing it, very quickly and cost me about 10$.

2/ What I just found out?
  • Since I bring it to watchsmiths I have chance to actually see him taken part of the movements out ìn-front of my eyes. And what make me VERY SURPRISE IS THAT THE BIG SCREW on the ROTOR is not screw in but actually glue/stick to the movement by Double sided tape. (I forgot to take photo) - this screw in screen is not really screw in
60354421-827497117612349-8322410184462827520-n.jpg

I know it seem normal to people who know very well about decorated miyota 9015, but for me it is a very shock moment. Seen the watchsmith took it off very easily…

3/ How I DIY Fix Ceramic Ball

Now come to the main point, how to fix the ceramic ball…The biggest problem of the PPF 5711 up until now, which are clearly not a good experience for everyone.

Thank to Glaude, I decide to fix it by Epoxy

I ordered this at the day the watch came in, within 1 hour ship to my house and cost me only $3 USD total

Here is it:
60344964-2137266163057952-1716547326966759424-n.jpg

2 paste A+B (BLACK AND WHITE COLOUR)
60527679-669239613520371-3752468666877214720-n.jpg

STICK OUT GLUE FROM EACH BOX, MIX IT UNTIL THE COLOUR EVEN

60441092-435610330558828-870947641674956800-n.jpg

USE A SMALL TOOTHSTICK (Since the ceramic ball is very small)

60356459-840073589709269-6049976626333089792-n.jpg

Do it, try to put it only on the edge/rear area of the ceramic, not the top of it! Since you do not want the claps glue to it too…
xOibqo.jpg

60390672-1103316656518501-1198084730696761344-n.jpg

Wrap it with the Cloth for 1hour and wait! Remember to use Loope !

I will wait to see the result, and update for you guys after 1 week to see if the ceramic ball still stay with the bracelet or not !!!

Thank you a lot for reading

Last edited:

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Great post mate! Thank you for writing!
I'll also do the same (glue it) with my blue pff asap...

Reactions: mottykytu

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Great post ! That will surely help some of the new member and since the 5711 is very though after, it'll definitely help and reduce the stress of the "first rep problems".

I would advise getting clear epoxy or at least one that dry transparent, this will less show once it set and if you smudge a little where you shouldn't have, you won't see it

mottykytu

4/6/13
Great post ! That will surely help some of the new member and since the 5711 is very though after, it'll definitely help and reduce the stress of the "first rep problems".

I would advise getting clear epoxy or at least one that dry transparent, this will less show once it set and if you smudge a little where you shouldn't have, you won't see it

Hope I will come with clear epoxy next time ;) ! Soon will other one !

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

you know ive done this before with gray epoxy, added a drop of silver paint to a JB weld mix and i ended up with silver JB weld ......

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
OP, Are you saying the PPF 5711 had its rotor stuck by double sided tape, instead of being screwed in ??? And you have to epoxy various bracelet parts together, instead of pinning or screwing them together?

My respect for TD Lucy is reinforced. She hesitatingly refused to source me this model, in grey. She had flatly refused to source me any ZF. "Stick to Noob/ARF" she says, not even BP. And from my own experience of having retained only 5 reps as of now, it is true, 4 are noob and 1 is JF. Seems these two factories are best at quality.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
had its rotor stuck by double sided tape

No, they used a metalic sticker to mimic the central screw of the Patek movement, but underneath the sticker, the classic 3 screws of the Miyota are here

And you have to epoxy various bracelet parts together, instead of pinning or screwing them together?

No there's currently a pin problem on the clasp and a ceramic ball that maintain the clasp close problem too, but everything else seems to be fine

I have watches from BP, JF, ZF and they are fantastic in quality

Reactions: csthe and mottykytu

mottykytu

4/6/13
OP, Are you saying the PPF 5711 had its rotor stuck by double sided tape, instead of being screwed in ??? And you have to epoxy various bracelet parts together, instead of pinning or screwing them together?

My respect for TD Lucy is reinforced. She hesitatingly refused to source me this model, in grey. She had flatly refused to source me any ZF. "Stick to Noob/ARF" she says, not even BP. And from my own experience of having retained only 5 reps as of now, it is true, 4 are noob and 1 is JF. Seems these two factories are best at quality.

Glaude have answered your question !

I don't know, many have satisfy with their ZF Patek Calatrava/Aquanaut, not any serious problem with them ! you should better check if she can easily reach those small factories resource or not. Since for smaller Factories like PPF, PF, ZF they tend to provide product for bigger TD first !

But I do agree that NOOB/ARF have better QC since they are big. The problem is that those big factories only focus on Big market share/ more well know brand like the Rolex Submariner/ Daytona... For a niche brand like Patek/Vacheron you have to find them from smaller company !

Which TD official name which Lucy from?

Last edited:

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Thanks for replies Glaude , mottykytu .

Interesting to note on the smaller factories catering the "niche" watches.

I believe Lucy is from Truetime. She only communicates by email. I have heard she is very meticulous in her QC, and she honestly QCs the watch's functionality.

My requirements are a bit stringent, especially with functionality. The bigger TDs will ship one as soon as they receive the funds, whether watch ticks at +/-60s/d or +/-6s/d

scottamc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/11/10
I just put an order in for this watch ...waiting for qc, now I'm worried about this issue with ball. Do you think its appropriate to ask the TD to solidify this bearing before shipping? Ie..take ball apart and superglue or something?

mottykytu

4/6/13
I just put an order in for this watch ...waiting for qc, now I'm worried about this issue with ball. Do you think its appropriate to ask the TD to solidify this bearing before shipping? Ie..take ball apart and superglue or something?

Sure they will not do that, they don't want to mess with the ball and take the risk of making the original broken and you can deny it after that... You have to do it your-self, just becareful a little bit !

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17

What I would do is immediately pop both ceramic ball and secure them with epoxy before wearing the watch

Reactions: scottamc and csthe

scottamc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/11/10
Good idea Glaude ... do we have a safe or known method to do such a fix? Since this seems to be the biggest issue to date, maybe someone more knowledgeable is willing to do a step by step of this process for those of us super inexperienced with doing any mods for the benefit of the community.

mottykytu

4/6/13
Hey mottykytu , so how is the DIY fix holding up after a week? All good? Thank you

*Update 1*: It is 10 days now and both the Ceramic + Pin Bar Clasp holder still here with me (I did it on Pin Bar too). I have to say that I'm satisfy with this DIY fix holding up or may be because I'm lucky and get the good bracelet batch LOL !

as Glaude said the Epoxy is very strong and can do the trick of holding your Ceramic ball well ! just a tiny regret that I did not use clear Epoxy as he suggested, but Since the ceramic ball is INSIDE the Claps, nothing will be seen when you wearing a watch even when you use Dark Epoxy !!!

Hope some one can edit the Original Post and help me add the Update 1 there. Will update to you guys After 1 month, I'm enjoy the PPF alot !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: csthe and Glaude

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
*Update 1*: It is 10 days now and both the Ceramic + Pin Bar Clasp holder still here with me (I did it on Pin Bar too). I have to say that I'm satisfy with this DIY fix holding up or may be because I'm lucky and get the good bracelet batch LOL !

as Glaude said the Epoxy is very strong and can do the trick of holding your Ceramic ball well ! just a tiny regret that I did not use clear Epoxy as he suggested, but Since the ceramic ball is INSIDE the Claps, nothing will be seen when you wearing a watch even when you use Dark Epoxy !!!

Hope some one can edit the Original Post and help me add the Update 1 there. Will update to you guys After 1 month, I'm enjoy the PPF alot !!!

Great to read :) thanks mate!

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Ok so based on mottykytu 's experience I asked my local watchsmith to secure the 2 pins holding the clasp with the link as well as the 2 ceramic balls. He used loctite, which is transparent. I hope it's gonna be as resistant as epoxy, we'll see. One thing to note is that the 2 ceramic balls are not just sitting in a hole, they're actually at the end of a spring. By gluing them the way we did, were also preventing the spring from moving, which will add to the friction between the ball and the clasp.