Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

Patek 5168g Aquanaut Franken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patek 5168g Aquanaut Franken

Not much time to type, so here goes:

Specs:

Genuine 5168g dial ($1,600)
    ZF Aquanaut 5168g
    PF Date disc
    Yodog installed

This dial is insane, and I figured due to it being discontinued officially by Patek, now is the only chance I'll get to have a blue dial aquanaut that is gen specs. I previously have owned the BP 5168g - which had a very flat case among other things and felt huge on the wrist - but ZF claims to have bought the gen 5168g or had access to it. The ZF case wraps around the wrist better, and it might be smaller lug to lug. It fits well on my wrist despite apprehension that it wouldn't fit on my 6.75" wrist.

The only issue is the DWO isn't properly centered, which I might get fixed later, and the lume of the ZF hands glows a bright green in midday and the gen dial does not. You can see it in some pics. When the lume isn't 'activated', the lume color is the same.

The dial is dark blue, nearly black at some angles. It appears flat in certain lights, and in others it has a subtle sunburst. The soft edges of the pattern really play with the light perfectly. They nailed it with this dial.

Dial Pics:

Compared to KMF Blue dial 40mm:

Installation process - the ZF dial is circular, but the Gen dial has those installation plots at 12,3,9 and 6. Yodog just drilled out space on the dial holder for them.

Here's the ZF:

And finally here are the pics - it was raining today, so you'll see some droplets on the glass:

And some wrist shots:

Last edited by majwilliams0308; 16-05-19, 21:01.

Excellent!! Looks epic!

Comment

Brutal job

Comment

Very, very nice. The gen dial was expensive but totally worth it.

Comment

Seriously unreal! How hard would gen hands be to track down??

Comment

How good gen Dial vs KMF/ ZF DIAL? THX U

Comment

Amazing work!

Comment

wow, incredible build. wear her in good health

Comment

Originally posted by fake64 View Post
                  Seriously unreal! How hard would gen hands be to track down??
                  I don't know! My guess is that it would be quite difficult. There's no guarantee it would fit on a Miyota movement too

Comment

That is so beautiful
                    My collection | Who has the best sub? A guide for noobs | List of TDs contact info

Comment

Now that is a fu*king beauty bro!!

Comment

amazing build, how do you keep finding these gen dials lol

Comment

Originally posted by sn95 View Post
                          amazing build, how do you keep finding these gen dials lol
                          Thank you! I have little children, so I don't have time to invest in many time consuming hobbies. It's fun to check ebay or chrono24 for a couple minutes when I have a moment or two to myself. Hence.... buying dials when they come up.

Comment

majwilliams0308 How does the ZF blue compare to the Gen Blue dial my friend?
                            Last edited by mottykytu; 29-05-19, 16:43.

Comment

Originally posted by majwilliams0308 View Post

Thank you! I have little children, so I don't have time to invest in many time consuming hobbies. It's fun to check ebay or chrono24 for a couple minutes when I have a moment or two to myself. Hence.... buying dials when they come up.
                              Hopefully I'll be able to rival your 5711 build soon

Comment

Working...
                              X