• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NAUTILUS 5711 PPF Side By Side with Gen

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
WOW! Thank you for this amazing side by side. To fix the crown as gen you find some tips? or need to buy one from reseller like this https://www.ebay.it/itm/Patek-Phili...198253?hash=item2f3685c0ed:g:LhIAAOSw-DJdUWs9

Thank you

A genuine 3800 crown will be no help in this regard. A genuine 5711 crown also wouldn‘t be your savior.

the only way of solving the crown problem IMO is to shave stem side of the crown on a lathe, remove some material from the case between the crown guards where the tube is located and then cutting the stem by the amount of material you removed from the crown itself and the case.

you see it is kind of complicated to shorten everything by around 0.6-1mm or so. IMHO not worth the hassle.

Mikio17

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/10/19

Is the datewheel not aligned? It looks like it is more towards the north.

grandphuba

8/4/18
Glad you don't notice much Tobel . I saw a recent post, trying to find it, where it was comparing the pff white dial 5711 from two different TD's a month apart. And the more recent one showing aligned markers, more clear font in date wheel, etc.. So was thinking, maybe the misaligned 12's isn't common. Here are a couple qc photos I was provided, which I think makes it tough to tell. To me..looks like the 12' aren't alligned and maybe cockeyed too. Some others have mentioned something about the 9' marker...but not sure what that issue is.

wat.jpg

[
IMG-20190530-203925.jpg

IMG-20190530-203732.jpg

This has been an issue even before PPF came into the game. My first rep was a PF 5711 and almost everyone bitched about the 12hour marker, other markers didn't even aligned to the dots. Knowing that even gens have misaligned markers should make this a non issue, and if anything can be told as a mark of a hand crafted watch.

I spent a lot on that 5711 since it got rnrprof's AR crystal and I wanted it delivered fast. My only complaint with the watch was the space under the balance wheel was not decorated. Personally I find that as a more offending tell than the hour marker being crooked. This watch by PPF has that problem solved.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I spent a lot on that 5711 since it got rnrprof's AR crystal and I wanted it delivered fast. My only complaint with the watch was the space under the balance wheel was not decorated. Personally I find that as a more offending tell than the hour marker being crooked.

You got your 5711 Crystal AR Coated and you are bothered by the space under the balance wheel not decorated but not crooked markers on the dial ? :woo::hypnotized:

Reactions: BIONONE and gilrob

Tobel

6/7/17
You got your 5711 Crystal AR Coated and you are bothered by the space under the balance wheel not decorated but not crooked markers on the dial ? :woo::hypnotized:

And not by the fact that there is no AR on the gen?

Reactions: gilrob and Glaude

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
Waiting RG comparison..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
And not by the fact that there is no AR on the gen?

You spoiled it, I was waiting on his explanation ! :D

Nothing wrong on getting his watch AR Coated of course, but being bothered by a totally insignificant detail like the other one and not by that, is rather curious, albeit, it could have been a joke

grandphuba

8/4/18
You spoiled it, I was waiting on his explanation ! :D

Nothing wrong on getting his watch AR Coated of course, but being bothered by a totally insignificant detail like the other one and not by that, is rather curious, albeit, it could have been a joke

I'll take that as a genuine curiosity and nothing else, especially, after rereading my post, I can see how it can sound a bit too " direct".

In any case, I don't the see any contradiction in wanting to have the crystal AR coated and wanting the section under the balance wheel finished as well. If I said I had my crystal AR coated but also wished it had a movement closer to gen, then I can get your point, but that's not what I said.

Compare the rep to the gen side by side and you'll surely find the gen. Have the rep alone inspected by someone into Pateks, they will still find the rep, but I'm pretty confident that to them, and even for anyone not specializing in Pateks, having that undecorated section under the movement is an easier and faster tell than having an AR crystal, or the markers being crooked. You can always have the gen crystal AR coated, and the markers as I said are also crooked in some gen models due to the markers being hand applied. An undecorated movement, on the other hand? Could that be chalked up to the people that decorated that part, that assembled the movement, that inspected the whole watch, that sold the watch, and that bought the watch just not noticing?

And it's not really even about just having a watch as close to gen as possible (in case someone gives me the "on thE wRiST thE MOVemEnT is Not EvEn VISible, tHE DIAL iS tHoUgh" or the "You sHouldn'T EVen BE pASsiNg this oFF aS a Gen sO wHo CaReS aBoUT tHe MovEmenT"). Some (e.g. me) just want something close enough to gen, but pretty nonetheless so they can ogle at it during their free time. The latter part of course is subjective, and for me, that means not having that undecorated part that's visible at a distance even if it entails having crooked markers that can only be noticed under close and focused inspection, and perhaps even with the help of a loupe.

You may not agree with the above, but to not appreciate that people assign different weights/priorities when getting a watch is different :)

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I'll take that as a genuine curiosity and nothing else, especially, after rereading my post, I can see how it can sound a bit too " direct".

In any case, I don't the see any contradiction in wanting to have the crystal AR coated and wanting the section under the balance wheel finished as well. If I said I had my crystal AR coated but also wished it had a movement closer to gen, then I can get your point, but that's not what I said.

Compare the rep to the gen side by side and you'll surely find the gen. Have the rep alone inspected by someone into Pateks, they will still find the rep, but I'm pretty confident that to them, and even for anyone not specializing in Pateks, having that undecorated section under the movement is an easier and faster tell than having an AR crystal, or the markers being crooked. You can always have the gen crystal AR coated, and the markers as I said are also crooked in some gen models due to the markers being hand applied. An undecorated movement, on the other hand? Could that be chalked up to the people that decorated that part, that assembled the movement, that inspected the whole watch, that sold the watch, and that bought the watch just not noticing?

And it's not really even about just having a watch as close to gen as possible (in case someone gives me the "on thE wRiST thE MOVemEnT is Not EvEn VISible, tHE DIAL iS tHoUgh" or the "You sHouldn'T EVen BE pASsiNg this oFF aS a Gen sO wHo CaReS aBoUT tHe MovEmenT"). Some (e.g. me) just want something close enough to gen, but pretty nonetheless so they can ogle at it during their free time. The latter part of course is subjective, and for me, that means not having that undecorated part that's visible at a distance even if it entails having crooked markers that can only be noticed under close and focused inspection, and perhaps even with the help of a loupe.

You may not agree with the above, but to not appreciate that people assign different weights/priorities when getting a watch is different :)

That's fair enough for me, you were not too "direct" but it was genuine curiosity on how a absolute minor detail like this decoration would bother you much more than something you can see right away is not like the gen, that has no AR coating (and having an AR coating make the watch look very different since the dial doesn't look the same way etc...) it's possible but unlikely that someone would got the crystal AR Coated and most of the gen pic online seems to tend that way.

I do agree that the dial is beautiful enough to make it worth an AR coating to see it better !
As you said, to each their own, and my curiosity is satisfied, I still find it very curious, but as long as everyone is happy, I'm too :)

Reactions: grandphuba

Ringhio

Horology Curious
24/11/19
Very useful comparison, thanks.
Any comments about the factory? Does the PPF movement require immediate service?
Or the Myiota movement is relatively solid and the watch can be used out the box?

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Very useful comparison, thanks.
Any comments about the factory? Does the PPF movement require immediate service?
Or the Myiota movement is relatively solid and the watch can be used out the box?

Miyota movement is solid, you don't have to service it right away

Kmmas

7/4/15
There's a new blue V2 that looks super close to gen. Check the other thread PPF blue v2

I can’t seem to find the “PPF blue v2” thread. Or do you simply mean the “PPF v2” thread

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Wow! I’m having doubts now! Are we actually seeing Amgen to rep comparison or is this a rep to rep comparison here

Most likely a discarded gen dial because of this defect

Tobel

6/7/17
I can’t seem to find the “PPF blue v2” thread. Or do you simply mean the “PPF v2” thread

Yes because only the blue has a V2, there's no V2 white
​​​​

Reactions: Kmmas

UniverseBoss

Horology Curious
17/2/20
Hello all, I am new.
I want to buy a Nautilus made by PPF or PF.

I am unsure which factory makes the best BLUE NAUTILUS.

I want to know which Factory makes the nautilus that is closest looking to the genuine.

Also please tell me who and how can I buy from?

Reactions: Malik321

baia64

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/16
Italia
Hello all, I am new.
I want to buy a Nautilus made by PPF or PF.

I am unsure which factory makes the best BLUE NAUTILUS.

I want to know which Factory makes the nautilus that is closest looking to the genuine.

Also please tell me who and how can I buy from?

Se ci dai i soldi lo compriamo noi. Guarda la sezione PP trovi tutto.