• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PPF Nautilus - lost bracelet clasp ceramic bearing - any diy fix?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
PPF has other QC issues besides movement and clasp. I am working on one where the 4 bezel screws are locked inside the mid-case. They cannot be removed. The screws are both stripped, improperly sized and glued in--all in one. That, along with the wrong bezel, the wrong crown, etc. makes me disappointed with PPF. I do not know why people are so excited by PPF.

MaxiMaxi

Known Member
30/5/17
PPF has other QC issues besides movement and clasp. I am working on one where the 4 bezel screws are locked inside the mid-case. They cannot be removed. The screws are both stripped, improperly sized and glued in--all in one. That, along with the wrong bezel, the wrong crown, etc. makes me disappointed with PPF. I do not know why people are so excited by PPF.

WTF. Is this something happening with anyone else? I will be furious if I run into any other issues after spending $500

Reactions: mr1973

mottykytu

4/6/13

glued in ?????? are u sure ??? omg !

mr1973

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/06
WTF. Is this something happening with anyone else? I will be furious if I run into any other issues after spending $500
Roger that. We're into gen boutiques brand territory here. It's a disgrace, to say the least. And a rip-off.

Bit like my ex wife. Great from the outside but.... :-D

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada

I think most buyers of the PPF were mesmerized by it's thinness and probably the best white dial of any rep PP 5711 available. They chose to overlook or have the uncanny ability to unsee the other obvious flaws it has. Recently, PPF's refusal to supply replacement ceramic ball bearings or links for it's bracelet, has put them in an unfavorable view from their customers. Not a good start for PPF.

PPF is an offshoot of the ZF brand which has had many QC issues in the past. Don't take my word for it though, just look in the IWC and Tudor sub-forums and you'll find examples of this.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
It has been amazing to watch the PPF hype from a distance. If you are mesmerized by the extra .5mm thinness of the PPF, please take note the PPF I have on my workbench measures 9.3mm glass to glass.

Reactions: gilrob and Glaude

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I love my white PPF! I've no interest in how it's put together, it's just so beautiful, the ebony and ivory contrast of the markers, the dial that changes from stark white to a gorgeous silver depending on the light. It shits all over my PF Nautilus! That said, I love my MK v5 blue and wouldn't bother updating that.

Reactions: Glaude

mr1973

17/3/06
Don't take my word for it though, just look in the IWC and Tudor sub-forums and you'll find examples of this.

Lots of broken ZF stems here, among other problems due to low quality materials and non-existent QA.

Time will tell. They surely listen, but I doubt they'll give a shit. It all ends with the sale.

mottykytu

4/6/13
Lots of broken ZF stems here, among other problems due to low quality materials and non-existent QA.

Time will tell. They surely listen, but I doubt they'll give a shit. It all ends with the sale.

BTW, How the ... that you join in 2006 and still only have 58 posts !???

mr1973

17/3/06
I'm in the game even longer. Ha.

I'm a post whore on speed.

Jefmanc

Horology Curious
6/5/19
nucorno this has also happened to me! I received the watch today and within 15 minutes the bearing holding the clasp to the bracket has popped off. Have you managed to sort this out? Bit of a joke considering how much it cost.

mottykytu

4/6/13
Not denying this clear defect, but just leaving that here :

Gen Patek and not a isolated scenario...

Wait, are you sure it is GEN? Because I think Claps of GEN Patek can be defect because everything made by human can...,

But he (the video owner) also say he sent back to Patek in Swiss and They even cannot fix the problem... It sound very hard to believe to me. Patek \ in their mother land should know what to do probably with the bracelet, their QC is SO HIGH in Swirtzeland !

I look at the youtube channel of that guy and he only have 1 video. And in the first video he post about the CLAPS problem.

BTW, Is it your video?

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Wait, are you sure it is GEN?

100 % positive, and you can search on gen owner forum, it's a know issue on some batch of 5711, I don't think it's an issue anymore now, but it was at one point

he also say he sent back to Patek in Swiss and They even cannot fix the problem

He said they refused to fix it, not that he tried to get it fixed, they didn't want to even take a look at it, because they knew exactly what the defect was. It seemed to be a pretty consistent answer at the time of this issue, according to gen owners that suffered from that.

Patek in their mother land should know what to do with the bracelet !

They know what to do, they just don't want to do it, remember, this is not a high end model from Patek, it's in high demand, but that doesn't mean it's treated in the same way other flagship model are.
They considered this was not under guarantee, I'm sure if the customer offered to pay for the fix, they would have done it right away.
It doesn't look like it on the video, but maybe they hide behind the fact that the bracelet was incorrectly sized (one of the reason why, when you buy a gen nowadays, they sized it immediately for you)

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
So PPF did a good job replicating the gen bracelet/clasp after all, including the gen defect.;)

:lol:

I don't know what was the defect on the gen exactly, but I'm sure it wasn't the same ceramic ball issue, that would have been covered in the guarantee, must have been a construction problem or fitment problem right from the start.

Or perhaps Patek was completely right to do it and those owner were simply wearing their watch too tight, hard to know

nucorno

10/9/17
nucorno this has also happened to me! I received the watch today and within 15 minutes the bearing holding the clasp to the bracket has popped off. Have you managed to sort this out? Bit of a joke considering how much it cost.

I haven’t had any luck. Rather disappointed with PureTime on this, as well as the factory. The fact that between this and the bearing, it’s kind of crappy for all of us who just bought there.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I haven’t had any luck. Rather disappointed with PureTime on this, as well as the factory. The fact that between this and the bearing, it’s kind of crappy for all of us who just bought there.

Don't blame PureTime, blame the factory....PPF!

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17

Puretime didn't made the watch, they only got it for you, did a simple QC and sent it.
This has nothing to do, yet, with Puretime, all those issue have been discovered right now and without having that sort of feedback, there was no way they could have tested this specific part of the bracelet. It's the first time this happened on a 5711 release as far as I know.

Then they can't control the aftermath either, they can only offer a repair by sending it back. Factory don't want to provide spare or parts, and the TD can't do a damn thing about it !

For future buyer, you would have to ask PT or any TD to make some additional check on the clasp, but ultimately, it can still happen after that, just do some extra simple work when you get the watch and that should be ok

nucorno

10/9/17
Don't blame PureTime, blame the factory....PPF!

Glaude My biggest issue here is not with PT and my apologies if it came off that way, but with the fact that PPF will not give up the pin, or even a new clasp. The only option here is to buy a new bracelet. I get that it’s out of PTs hands, but it’s not worth spending $138 or so when being supplied a pin would make the difference. Same thing with those effected by the bearing issue.

Last edited: