• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PPF Nautilus - lost bracelet clasp ceramic bearing - any diy fix?

MaxiMaxi

Known Member
30/5/17
Who do you guys reccomend to do work on Patek reps on this forum? or Miyota movements for this case, etc? I want someone reliable (in the US) who I can send my watches for maintence and fixing little issues like this when they happen

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Who do you guys reccomend to do work on Patek reps on this forum? or Miyota movements for this case, etc? I want someone reliable (in the US) who I can send my watches for maintence and fixing little issues like this when they happen

RWI has a list of watchmakers, many of them are in the U.S. Just select one that is nearest to you.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
As Glaude mentioned is it possible to remove the call bearing and add expoxy to it and reseal it? It will solve the issue as expoxy is very very tough .

I don't recommend removing it and glue it back, as I don't know if it's an easy procedure, I'm just recommending securing it to prevent future problem.
But if the ball is out and you have it, epoxy will certainly do the trick

MaxiMaxi

Known Member
30/5/17
Jeweler took a hammer to the other ceramic ball I almost flipped out. What a joke. I need a new PPF bracelet now. who can help?

mottykytu

4/6/13
Jeweler took a hammer to the other ceramic ball I almost flipped out. What a joke. I need a new PPF bracelet now. who can help?

May be your TD, but wow... What the ...happen with PPF bracelét QC? So many people facing this problem here is obviously not a good sign !!! At that price boy it should be good

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
May be your TD, but wow... What the ...happen with PPF bracelét QC? So many people facing this problem here is obviously not a good sign !!! At that price boy it should be good

I'm no TD but I imagine this can be hard to test and if not, probably not tested as it's the first time something like that happen

Reactions: csthe

MaxiMaxi

Known Member
30/5/17
I'm no TD but I imagine this can be hard to test and if not, probably not tested as it's the first time something like that happen

Agreed, Im a tough son of a gun but honestly I feel like the watch is so damn good that if they can fix this for me- I will still be very happy. It seriously feels like I have a 60K watch on my wrist when this is on....the thinnest of the case is amazing. When you look at the movement, you really need to be a consignor to tell...

Reactions: BlackJaguar

mottykytu

4/6/13

Hmm, let imagine the opposite ways. No other PP of other factories before have been report to face the same problem in the large number like this one. Although I will soon be a proud owner of 5711 PPF, I really worry for the QC of PPF factories !
It is not that easy to fix, and need to delivery parts from TD, it quite obviously not TD faults but the flaws from the Factories directly - in larger scales !

Last edited:

PP4Ever

Known Member
8/12/17
I've contacted PURETIME asking for this issue.
They only tell me (if i do mind the problem) to sent the watch back for repair..
Or buy the whole bracelet for $128 (+shipping will be mine, of cause)

Faj

10/3/19
Wanted to pull the trigger on a white on, seeing this thread I hesitate - better wait?

The watch in itself seems to be amazing

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Hmm, let imagine the opposite ways. No other PP of other factories before have been report to face the same problem in the large number like this one.

How exactly is this different from me saying :

probably not tested as it's the first time something like that happen

It is not that easy to fix, and need to delivery parts from TD, it quite obviously not TD faults but the flaws from the Factories directly - in larger scales !

If you don't loose the ceramic ball, it's an easy fix, but I think indeed, in most cases, the ball will be lost.

mottykytu

4/6/13
How exactly is this different from me saying :

If you don't loose the ceramic ball, it's an easy fix, but I think indeed, in most cases, the ball will be lost.

Yes it is a little different, the fact here is that NO other factories have done a mistake in a large number of Bracelet like PPF this time.

Which mean that it is not a very hard problem and out of their control.Therefore, we have to blame PPF that cannot control their own quality, obviously we can hardly blame TD or the QC Photos because those problem can't hardly see through, and only happen after the Watch has been bought !

The responsibility to test the bracelet belong to Factory - PPF, not the TD, and they should have done it well... If 1-2 watches lose the ball , 100% ok, but 10-20 watches have the same problem (like this thread showed) - the Design must be ineffective !

I also read some topic here with an In-depth review which people think the CLAPS is very hard and tough to open... Do not know about other factories Bracelet but in this area particularly, I think PPF made mistake...

Will receive my PPF soon, really hope it will not happen on my (may be newer batch), but really need some advice to protect it before hand so that the ball will never lose !!!

Last edited:

mottykytu

4/6/13
I've contacted PURETIME asking for this issue.
They only tell me (if i do mind the problem) to sent the watch back for repair..
Or buy the whole bracelet for $128 (+shipping will be mine, of cause)

It is so hard to replace the bracelet by our-selves?

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
You are a member here from 2013, yet you seem clueless about how things works.

Factories most of the time if not always order part from various manufacturers, they have their own rules for QC and will test things out, but will not go through a 20 stage / 2-month testing period to ensure that every little detail is spot on and durable.
Your TD receive the watch, manipulated it for your QC pics and timegrapher and eventually more, depending on the TD, and yet, spotted nothing.

You don't really believe any factories will do more than that given the amount of watches they output ?

Other didn't have any issue ? My Mkf v5 isn't perfect on the ceramic ball area, but that's not the point, the point is : it's pure luck ! Defects happens in every industry, except other industries are responsible for them and liable. We are in an illegal business, they just don't care !

I also read some topic here with an In-depth review which people think the CLAPS is very hard and tough to open... Do not know about other factories Bracelet but in this area particularly, I think PPF made mistake...

Have a google around the gen bracelet and the various issues NOT covered by Patek regarding the clasp, you'll be surprised. I'm happy that the clasp is a little bit hard to open rather than too easy !

It is so hard to replace the bracelet by our-selves?

If you can resize it, you should be able to replace it as easily

mottykytu

4/6/13
You are a member here from 2013, yet you seem clueless about how things works.

Factories most of the time if not always order part from various manufacturers, they have their own rules for QC and will test things out, but will not go through a 20 stage / 2-month testing period to ensure that every little detail is spot on and durable.
Your TD receive the watch, manipulated it for your QC pics and timegrapher and eventually more, depending on the TD, and yet, spotted nothing.

You don't really believe any factories will do more than that given the amount of watches they output ?

Other didn't have any issue ? My Mkf v5 isn't perfect on the ceramic ball area, but that's not the point, the point is : it's pure luck ! Defects happens in every industry, except other industries are responsible for them and liable. We are in an illegal business, they just don't care !

Have a google around the gen bracelet and the various issues NOT covered by Patek regarding the clasp, you'll be surprised. I'm happy that the clasp is a little bit hard to open rather than too easy !

If you can resize it, you should be able to replace it as easily

Yes, agree with you it is luck, but just 1 day or 1 hour of wearing time and the ball already fall off (we have atleast 2-3 cases in this thread) is actually a design flaw IMHO ! And I do not really know if ceramic ball problem link with the hard-to-open clasp? But it is just my personal inexperience point of view, not as expert as you guys!

But as you said, if the bracelet can be easily replace then we can relax a little bit. May be just wait for another bracelet batch before source the new bracelet (the large number of this batch having this flaws.) <==>

P/S: I remember you also said the Leather strap can also be place in this 5711 Patek, it will be really helpful and appreciative if you can have a quick TUT thread to show how exactly we can do that, I think some of us really want to switch between Strap/Bracelet in the future time!

Thank you so much !

Last edited:

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Yes, agree with you it is luck, but just 1 day or 1 hour of wearing time and the ball already fall off (we have atleast 2-3 cases in this thread) is actually a design flaw IMHO ! And I do not really know if ceramic ball problem link with the hard-to-open clasp? But it is just my personal inexperience point of view, not as expert as you guys!

But as you said, if the bracelet can be easily replace then we can relax a little bit. May be just wait for another bracelet batch before source the new bracelet (the large number of this batch having this flaws.) <==>

P/S: I remember you also said the Leather strap can also be place in this 5711 Patek, it will be really helpful and appreciative if you can have a quick TUT thread to show how exactly we can do that, I think some of us really want to switch between Strap/Bracelet in the future time!

Thank you so much !

You'll need to source two conversion end links and probably have to modify it to fit your 5711. Straps are available at DHGate, Al-Express and eBay. I suggest you try to source the end links first because without them you can't use a leather or rubber strap.

Reactions: Glaude

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
is actually a design flaw

I would say more a assembly issue than design flaw, it's very tiny, and if you don't use the right amount of glue and the correct one, I guess this can happen

gilrob said exactly how you would go on replacing with a leather

mottykytu

4/6/13
You'll need to source two conversion end links and probably have to modify it to fit your 5711. Straps are available at DHGate, Al-Express and eBay. I suggest you try to source the end links first because without them you can't use a leather or rubber strap.

So it is quite hard to source the End-link, isn't it.

If TD cannot (because they do not have Or do not want to source from Factories) so the only way is to source the GEN - endlink, Which will even cost arm and legs more than the whole PPF 5711 !!! - Rep bracelet replacement will be a financial optimize alternative...

Last edited:

Francy93

Horology Curious
10/9/18
Hi, can any of the owners measure with a caliber the exact diameter of this ceramic ball?

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
So it is quite hard to source the End-link, isn't it.

If TD cannot (because they do not have Or do not want to source from Factories) so the only way is to source the GEN - endlink, Which will even cost arm and legs more than the whole PPF 5711 !!! - Rep bracelet replacement will be a financial optimize alternative...

I don't know if it is hard to source the end links from a TD or not. You'll just have ask your TD or you can buy a complete watch that has the end links, strap and deployment buckle. Silix has one for $138.00, I'm not sure about the quality of the leather strap, but the end links and deployment buckle appears to be the same that is used on more expensive models.