• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sacre Bleu! Blue Nautilus PPF vs PF comparison

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
This is how the forum members have created the NWBIG list, by social interaction and research.

A thread on repgeek had gen owner post pics in same light with his PF. And his comments below. I do agree the dial color, datewheel, and marker placement is off. Personally, I wish a factory would come up with an NWBIG 5711. But I’m not going to pretend that it’s happened.

Just wanted to contribute the pics of both side by side as you mentioned Chaosg

V2HMXX.png

V2HnJf.jpg

I hate to fuel the fire of debate (and happen to agree entirely with Glaude’s assessment that they are clearly not the same but it’s not correct to state they are “way off” as everyone keeps saying) but why does the PF looks twice the size of the gen in all these pics? It can’t be that much closer to the camera in the close proximity shots surely? Also this is far from appropriate lighting for a dial colour comparison, the dials are so dark in this shot you can hardly see any colour at all!

DC

Reactions: Glaude and ixnay07

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
PS: Take the side by side, turn up the brightness so you can actually see the dial, turn up the saturation so you can compare colour objectively, then crop them together and voila...

A90-F8-EE4-3085-46-CE-9-B50-B1133889-D034.jpg

F5681-F1-F-A7-A8-410-C-98-B9-B27-E0923601-B.jpg

The purpley PF makes itself known once again ;)

Not “way off” as this is obviously heavily exaggerated by the saturation, but certainly not the same!

DC

Akra

11/1/17
I hate to fuel the fire of debate (and happen to agree entirely with Glaude’s assessment that they are clearly not the same but it’s not correct to state they are “way off” as everyone keeps saying) but why does the PF looks twice the size of the gen in all these pics? It can’t be that much closer to the camera in the close proximity shots surely? Also this is far from appropriate lighting for a dial colour comparison, the dials are so dark in this shot you can hardly see any colour at all!

DC

I think the size difference is because the focal distance is very short, so it kind of warps the image(?) like a fisheye.
I also agree on the lighting, the dials are too dark to make a good comparison. The PF almost looks black.

To add some more fuel: in these pictures it looks like the PF lacks bevelling on the case & bracelet, or was this already noted.

Reactions: Glaude and Nivka

Chaosg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/18
Guys, don't take me wrong. PF and PPF are great replicas. Pf had such major improvements over previous ones. I don't know MK's so please let me know the comparo you might have for my info, I couldn't find Glaude's here so far.

We have now such a fantastic white PPF , with little to be fixed on next version ( I hope ;) ). But we keep coming back to the blue ones.

As I already said, I can make a comparison between my gen blue and yours PF, PPF or MKF , given you guys were interested and, of course, send me your piece in order to do so. I don't know if it's still interesting for you guys, but I keep my offer here.

Again, side by side comparisons are the only way to judge the colour similarities. You can have PF , or even PPF, quite close to gen in certain angles and light sources, also off in others, and way off in the rest of them. So, affirming that they are close colourwise is valid in certain situations -- of course! , but that they are way off is too valid, isn't it?

cheers

PS: just about the "coming back to the same points" issue, I have so far not found comprehensive side by side comparisons here between gen blue and the corresponding PF and MKF pieces. So, I don't understand that we are coming back to some points over and over again, as it seems there's a lack of it in fact, isn't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Akra

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
Chaosg

A gen owner already compared the 2 side by side in the post above! The 5711 owner comparison regarding the PF:
“The watch looks and feels like the Gen. It is nearly perfect.”

Chaosg

26/3/18
Chaosg

A gen owner already compared the 2 side by side in the post above! The 5711 owner comparison regarding the PF:
“The watch looks and feels like the Gen. It is nearly perfect.”

Thank you, but again I couldn't find it here. Can you please give us the link to it? Interested to see that comparison and see what kind of data was obtained.

thanks

Chaosg

26/3/18

Thank you so much!

Indeed, looks like you've been doing a good search. I hoped to find some side by side here but so far I couldn't.

Regarding to that mentioned, I think it's quite basic and was not taken in several light sources, as it appears. It's of course already something, specially bc the PF was kind of fresh news. But it is quite incomplete if we take into account the level of expectations here and now.

It's kind of funny the guy asking to guess which one was the genuine .... :) .

If that's the level of info we have so far, now I understand why ....:cool:

cheers

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
Well he’s a gen owner like you. I’m going to take his word over members that have never handled either watch. Reliable modders on RWI have already stated the PF has the most gen like case and bezel proportions.

Not much has changed in the last year for the 5711 reps since that thread was made. The MKF V6 came out and the PPF came out.

Chaosg

26/3/18
Well he’s a gen owner like you. I’m going to take his word over members that have never handled either watch. Reliable modders on RWI have already stated the PF has the most gen like case and bezel proportions.

Not much has changed in the last year for the 5711 reps since that thread was made. The MKF V6 came out and the PPF came out.

I concur too. I truly think that the comparison he did was good at that time, given the fresh PF coming to the scene.

But, I believe that the level of expectations now are higher and, therefore, some proper and more detailed comparisons should be done.

I do not doubt those that affirm the PF is close to gen - I just think that there's a lack of solid information, visual information, non edited pics with several light sources and angles, same distance to lens and so on..... all that I would expect to base my own conclusions. Then, and only after then, opinions could be made upon each person's view .

cheers

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
As I stated not much has changed in the rep world in that time. Expectations have always been the same: create a rep just like the gen.

Lastly, it’s interesting you requested a side by side. A gen owner did this and now we need filters and opinion to discount his assessment. His work is no good, but yours is... Anyway, enjoy your PPF.

By by the way there’s a thread where someone put a gen white dial in a PF watch. Looks pretty good!

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I couldn't find Glaude's here so far.

It's on the sister forum, RWG : https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/146261-mk-v5-patek-philippe-57111a-010/

Again, side by side comparisons are the only way to judge the colour similarities.

Not entirely true, they are the only way to prove the similarities or dissimilarities online, but we aren't in a trial here, we can also trust the judgement of people owning them, I trusted more your words in your review than your pics. I know a thing or two about photography, and they are not a reliable way of judging things if they are just posted without any context.

also off in others, and way off in the rest of them. So, affirming that they are close colourwise is valid in certain situations -- of course! , but that they are way off is too valid, isn't it?

Way off, certainly not, a bit off, yeah, of course, but I haven't seen any respectable opinion here suggesting that the colour was either perfect or way off, for any recent model

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
Good point Glaude. We certainly are nitpicking. In a vid someone posted with the PPF, PF and MKF all shown, from 3 feet away I can’t tell the difference and if I saw on a wrist wouldn’t question. They are all very close. ;-)

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Good point Glaude. We certainly are nitpicking. In a vid someone posted with the PPF, PF and MKF all shown, from 3 feet away I can’t tell the difference and if I saw on a wrist wouldn’t question. They are all very close. ;-)

As said numerous time before, I don't mind nitpicking done in a good way, but people (you are not one of them by the way) saying way off or other exaggerated things like that, need to get their eyes checked

Reactions: csthe and Ultra929

Chaosg

26/3/18
Lastly, it’s interesting you requested a side by side. A gen owner did this and now we need filters and opinion to discount his assessment. His work is no good, but yours is... Anyway, enjoy your PPF.

Oh, sorry, but there's a misunderstanding here, no? I said "I truly think that the comparison he did was good at that time" .

He didn't do a bad job, just a job that is incomplete. If you guys think it's enough, it's fine. I thought the expectations here were higher.

Btw, I did enjoy my white PPF, and I have ventured to post in here to show it next to gen in order to dissipate some lack of info . But, I'm not partial to any of them, already said what I think about blue PPF's.

I just think we should push the factories to do better. For that, information , detailed information, is the way, IMHO.

cheers

Chaosg

26/3/18
As said numerous time before, I don't mind nitpicking done in a good way, but people (you are not one of them by thhe way) saying way off or other exaggerated things like that, need to get their eyes checked

Ok, Glaude,.....I guess I am one of them to have my eyes checked . :cool:

I'd really like to have your frank opinion about the following pics, though .

Are the colours way off or just little off?

cheers

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Pics without any context as said... plus this PF if that's one, look like to have a 2x AR crystal

So what do we do now ? We have one series of pic showing a bit off PF 5711 and Patek 5711 and this 5712 and a PF 5711 looking way off...

Told you it's pointless to go back on that over and over

Chaosg

26/3/18
Ok, Glaude, if you say it's just a bit off, I definitely need to have my eyes checked !

So, my offer stands - if you guys want, I can make the comparison with gen blue , in the way I have mentioned, of course.

cheers

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Ok, Glaude, if you say it's just a bit off, I definitely need to have my eyes checked !

Read again what I said : the post over at RG with a gen 5711 and a PF is a bit off thanks to DC photo enhancing.

What you posted above is indeed way off, but the PF really look like to have a 2x AR which make a world of difference against the gen 5712 without any AR treatment

I don't understand what you want to prove that haven't been proved or said before regarding the color and by the way, factories don't care about those threads we make, otherwise we would have way more perfect rep with all the nitpicking that is done