• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5711 PPF vs 5167a ZF Which one is a better REP?

mottykytu

4/6/13
Dear guys,

I'm consider to buy my first ever Rep Patek. And so I need your knowledge and information to help me decide between those 2 most close to Gen Patek: 5711 PPF WHITE and 5167 A ZF BLACK both of them are 490$

The 3 Criteria is like below (From Highest to Lowest):
1/The Closer to the Gen the better (Obviously)

2/The Band/Bracelet is good quality should not loose so quickly and can be easily replace in the future ( Since I want keep the rep for 5 or more years) (I'm afraid the PPF Bracelet won't last for 5 years, can anyone here confirm its quality?)

3/ The watch look more attractive/ high class in real - life and can catch up with at least 60-70% gen Patek finishing in flesh.

4/ The watch is Versatile enough to Dress Up or Dress down or even casual

5/ The movement is good enough for long run/ better decor and do not sound so LOUD !

So with those criteria, which one should I choose ? 5711 / 5167 ? If it is Gen choose, I can easily try on in Patek Boutique, but because they are both Rep, and I have never handles any of them. Can you please give some Advice?

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Just my view on that :

1/ Not enough knowledge of the 5164 A to answer, but I think the local and home function don't work on it (not sure, don't quote me on that)

2/ Why the PPF bracelet wouldn't last 5 years ? It's stainless steel, I don't see a reason of breaking there, but if it break, this part will be harder to come by, but you could always put it on leather if you want.

3/ That's very subjective, the 5711 is really attractive in my eye

4/ Spot on the 5711, definitely fit that definition, the rubber band of the 5164 kills the classy part for me (but that's just me)

5/ The 5711 is powered by a Miyota, they are solid movement with parts available and the 5164 is powered by the same movement if I'm not mistaken

mottykytu

4/6/13
Just my view on that :

1/ Not enough knowledge of the 5164 A to answer, but I think the local and home function don't work on it (not sure, don't quote me on that)

2/ Why the PPF bracelet wouldn't last 5 years ? It's stainless steel, I don't see a reason of breaking there, but if it break, this part will be harder to come by, but you could always put it on leather if you want.

3/ That's very subjective, the 5711 is really attractive in my eye

4/ Spot on the 5711, definitely fit that definition, the rubber band of the 5164 kills the classy part for me (but that's just me)

5/ The 5711 is powered by a Miyota, they are solid movement with parts available and the 5164 is powered by the same movement if I'm not mistaken

Thank for your quick Reply :

For number 2, although Rep quality are improving, I do not think their Bracelet quality UP much even lower/middle class Swiss brand have bad Bracelet if you wear it everyday or 5 days/ week
And No we cannot fit it in a leather strap, I read many reviews here and people say both GEN AND REP it is very hard to change it to leather strap without damaged a watch?

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Thank for your quick Reply :

For number 2, although Rep quality are improving, I do not think their Bracelet quality UP much even lower/middle class Swiss brand have bad Bracelet if you wear it everyday or 5 days/ week
And No we cannot fit it in a leather strap, I read many reviews here and people say both GEN AND REP it is very hard to change it to leather strap without damaged a watch?

They are solidly made, with sufficient care to allow them to last, honestly, I don't see how you could break it by accident (without breaking the whole watch I mean).

And yes you can, you just need to have the correct end link to fit the leather strap, no risk of breaking anything there either

mottykytu

4/6/13
They are solidly made, with sufficient care to allow them to last, honestly, I don't see how you could break it by accident (without breaking the whole watch I mean).

And yes you can, you just need to have the correct end link to fit the leather strap, no risk of breaking anything there either

Thank for the information, years ago the most important things people advice me when buying REP is to stay away from Fake Gold Plated and Bracelet because the quality will come off quickly.

For the bracelet, I'm afraid it will be squashy, loose very quickly compare to GEN or other quality bracelet (which can last for decades). And if so, it is very hard to replace

I'm still not sure about the Leather Strap change, Did you or any body here success to fit it in a leather strap? or because the right endlink is very hard to source or so high in price?
If it is easy, I may have go toward 5711

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Thank for the information, years ago the most important things people advice me when buying REP is to stay away from Fake Gold Plated and Bracelet because the quality will come off quickly.

For the bracelet, I'm afraid it will be squashy, loose very quickly compare to GEN or other quality bracelet (which can last for decades). And if so, it is very hard to replace

That's still true on cheap plated watches, but not for stainless steel.

I don't think it will be loose (loose how ?) in fact, in time it should get better and better on the wrist, hugging it more efficiently and giving a better look.

The price will come from the leather strap you'll choose, you can buy cheap or expensive. It'll also depend if you reuse the existing endlink for your leather strap (not meant for that, but can work) or try to find some endlink for leather nautilus.

Reactions: mottykytu

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Non working complication on the 5164 is a deal breaker for me. It wouldn’t have been too hard to make the local and home function work especially when GMT can’t be adjusted. Pushers are a different debacle but also peak that functionless.

Reactions: pip72 and mottykytu

mottykytu

4/6/13
Non working complication on the 5164 is a deal breaker for me. It wouldn’t have been too hard to make the local and home function work especially when GMT can’t be adjusted. Pushers are a different debacle but also peak that functionless.

Just my view on that :

QueTip Glaude Oh nooooo, I'm so sorry, I found my mistake. I'm asking my self what is the complication they are talking about? and then I figure out the topic name problem !

What I mean is not the 5164a with complication but the 5167a clean and Clear Aquanaut ! Now I understand why you guys lean to the 5711. Can you two have me to change the topic Name from 5164a to 5167 A? Thanks alot

And with ZF 5167A, it is better rep then the new star PPF 5711?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
QueTip Glaude Oh nooooo, I'm so sorry, I found my mistake. I'm asking my self what is the complication they are talking about? and then I figure out the topic name problem !

What I mean is not the 5164a with complication but the 5167a clean and Clear Aquanaut ! Now I understand why you guys lean to the 5711. Can you two have me to change the topic Name from 5164a to 5167 A? Thanks alot

And with ZF 5167A, it is better rep then the new star PPF 5711?

Fixed thread name for you. Regarding your decision, it’s depending on what you lay your preference on. And the occasions you want to wear your watch. Nautilus is very sleek and elegant whereas the aquanaut has a pretty sporty vibe to it.

Reactions: mottykytu

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
So, either way, you're getting a great watch (5167a or 5711 white dial). It's up to preference. Aquanaut has the line under the "5" which is not gen like, but that aside it's fantastic. The PPF has some crown and bezel issues but those aren't a huge deal for most either. If I had to choose one first, I would probably choose the Nautilus.

Here is the ZF Aquanaut and my gen white dial nautilus for comparison:

VpR3NL.jpg

VpRiD6.jpg

mottykytu

4/6/13
So, either way, you're getting a great watch (5167a or 5711 white dial). It's up to preference. Aquanaut has the line under the "5" which is not gen like, but that aside it's fantastic. The PPF has some crown and bezel issues but those aren't a huge deal for most either. If I had to choose one first, I would probably choose the Nautilus.

Here is the ZF Aquanaut and my gen white dial nautilus for comparison:

VpR3NL.jpg

VpRiD6.jpg

Very nice, I have 3 questions can you please andswer?

1/ How do you feel about the ZF 5711 Bracelet? will it last Long Enough in the future? Can it be replace easily by leather?

2/So you will choose the Nautilus first? In term of REP quality does the Aquanaut come closer to GEN than the Nautilus ? (the minor mistake at 5 is so hard to see even in phôto )

3/And is the Black 5167a You have here is the best vertion of it? or do they offer other dial color that have the same quality? (I saw your review topics here and you have Black, but how about their blue...?)

*Just see you say your 5711 is a Gen, that may hard to compare

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
1. The ZF rubber is fantastic, you don't need anything else. Remember, cut one link at a time as you size it, because it's permanent! I also sized mine a bit loose for the fluctuation of seasons and wrist swelling that naturally occurs.

2. I would choose the Nautilus as my first Patek rep, yes. It's a wonderful watch, and the PPF looks awfully close to my gen build as far as dial finish, etc. The stainless bracelet is multifunctional for suits as well as weekend wear. The Aquanaut is a great watch for everything but professional wear IMO (i.e. suits or sport coat/button ups) because the rubber dresses it down. I've worn it with a suit, but it doesn't feel as balanced. So if you don't wear button ups/suits for work or very frequently, get the Aquanaut.

3. The blue dial from KMF is a fantasy in 40mm. Patek made the 5168g which is 42mm (a bit bigger) and it had the blue dial, but the hour markers also had white gold appliques. The blue dial is nice, however, and Patek SHOULD make it. If you get the KMF, it requires a date mod.

mottykytu

4/6/13
1. The ZF rubber is fantastic, you don't need anything else. Remember, cut one link at a time as you size it, because it's permanent! I also sized mine a bit loose for the fluctuation of seasons and wrist swelling that naturally occurs.

2. I would choose the Nautilus as my first Patek rep, yes. It's a wonderful watch, and the PPF looks awfully close to my gen build as far as dial finish, etc. The stainless bracelet is multifunctional for suits as well as weekend wear. The Aquanaut is a great watch for everything but professional wear IMO (i.e. suits or sport coat/button ups) because the rubber dresses it down. I've worn it with a suit, but it doesn't feel as balanced. So if you don't wear button ups/suits for work or very frequently, get the Aquanaut.

3. The blue dial from KMF is a fantasy in 40mm. Patek made the 5168g which is 42mm (a bit bigger) and it had the blue dial, but the hour markers also had white gold appliques. The blue dial is nice, however, and Patek SHOULD make it. If you get the KMF, it requires a date mod.

Very helpful,

One more question is abt the PPF 5711 steel BRACELET, With your old experience with PF and now PPF do you think it will last long abt more than 5 years without loose? And if it is loose can we replace it easily with other braceletibraceleti or can we put it on leather strap easily like Admin Glaude said about ?

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Very helpful,

One more question is abt the PPF 5711 steel BRACELET, With your old experience with PF and now PPF do you think it will last long abt more than 5 years without loose? And if it is loose can we replace it easily with other braceletibraceleti or can we put it on leather strap easily like Admin Glaude said about ?

That is an interesting question that is a bit of a tough one to give a direct answer. It depends on how you wear it. After a year or two of hard use, it will probably require a re-polishing (same as gen really). Holding its elasticity will probably be fine unless you get it caught in something. It comes down to (1) how you take care of it (2) any trauma you give to the watch or bracelet and (3) how well you QC it in the first place.

mottykytu

4/6/13
That is an interesting question that is a bit of a tough one to give a direct answer. It depends on how you wear it. After a year or two of hard use, it will probably require a re-polishing (same as gen really). Holding its elasticity will probably be fine unless you get it caught in something. It comes down to (1) how you take care of it (2) any trauma you give to the watch or bracelet and (3) how well you QC it in the first place.

Thank you, can you give any advices for QC it just through photo? Miss align or dial mistake can be, but bracelet problem is quite hard to see just from photo...

Reactions: Malik321

golem345

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/14

Do you know any modders that would be able to do repolishing?

Reidgrrr

Looking Around
11/5/19
I don’t know what to do! I feel like the 5167a ZF is closer to gen than the 5711 PPF as the 5711 has the bezel and crown issues while the 5167a seems to most noticeably only have issues with the line and 5. But for whatever reason, the fact that they could not get such a simple detail correct really turns me away from this rep. The reason I am still leaning towards it is because in my opinion, it attracts less attention than the 5711, and is “more realistic” in terms of pricing for gens. What do you guys think though, 5167a or 5711 in terms of accuracy? Also, if I’m at a party, do you think the 5711 would get much more attention over the 5167a, I feel like it would because of how substantial it is, in my opinion, due to all the metal. My end goal is to be able to enjoy my watch without having the stress of everyone looking at it (and being able to see the crown and bezel issues for 5711 or the 5 issue for 5167a) Any pictures of your watches, either version, would be greatly appreciated. I will be wearing this watch casually and formally, which makes me lean towards the 5711 because I don’t know how the 5167a would go with a suit. Anyways, thanks so much for your opinion, I look forward to hearing them!

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
I don’t know what to do! I feel like the 5167a ZF is closer to gen than the 5711 PPF as the 5711 has the bezel and crown issues while the 5167a seems to most noticeably only have issues with the line and 5. But for whatever reason, the fact that they could not get such a simple detail correct really turns me away from this rep. The reason I am still leaning towards it is because in my opinion, it attracts less attention than the 5711, and is “more realistic” in terms of pricing for gens. What do you guys think though, 5167a or 5711 in terms of accuracy? Also, if I’m at a party, do you think the 5711 would get much more attention over the 5167a, I feel like it would because of how substantial it is, in my opinion, due to all the metal. My end goal is to be able to enjoy my watch without having the stress of everyone looking at it (and being able to see the crown and bezel issues for 5711 or the 5 issue for 5167a) Any pictures of your watches, either version, would be greatly appreciated. I will be wearing this watch casually and formally, which makes me lean towards the 5711 because I don’t know how the 5167a would go with a suit. Anyways, thanks so much for your opinion, I look forward to hearing them!

Great 2nd post...

Young Jedi you are getting yourself a Patek rep...

Patek is THE brand for making a social status statement...

Enjoy your rep for what it is....

As for your lack of self confidence I trust that will improve with time come with time...

As general tips I would suggest you to keep things simple, favor sincerity and loyalty over pretending and superficiality, and try make a living out of a job that you enjoy...

You are welcome...

Reactions: QueTip