• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New patek philippe nautilus from ppf

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
I noticed that Trusty just came out with the Gray dual 5711 PPF. How authentic is this one? I tried looking for a gray dial 5711 with minimum luck.

Sent from the RWI App

the grey 5711 never came out on a bracelet and was only made out of white gold while being delivered on a leather strap - period.

Reactions: vcappp

aSlwatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/7/17
Hi all,

I'm a lurker on this forum really (especially this thread recently!)

I took the plunge and ordered the ppf blue 5711 about an hour after it went up on puretime and received it yesterday (fastest ever - ordered 9 reps from puretime by now- to UK).

Thought I'd share my opinion on the 'contentious bits' now it's in hand, hope it's useful for anyone wondering!

1) The dial - the blue is NOT purple, in any light. The iphone's white balance wants to render it so though - blue is one of the trickiest colours for digital sensors to get right, especially when next to skin tones for wrist shots (just look at the number of purple-ish skies you see). I'm a photographer on the side, speaking from 10 years experience. It's what I'd call 'straight blue' - not much of a suggestion of grey or green though except in certain lights. It does change an awful lot depending on the light, in a good way. It does darken towards the edges, but very subtly, less than I'd expected. Also, I can confirm there IS a sunburst effect - not as 'sharp' as it is on my noob V8 Hulk, but it's there. Markers etc are perfect, on mine anyway, bar the odd tiny dust imperfection you always seem to get with reps.

2) The wide bezel - doing a bit of digging (and this might just be me!) the newest 5711's with the 'joined bars PP logo' appear to have slightly wider bezels, as this one does. Having not seen one in the wild, can't be in any way sure (and let's face it - probably never will!) Head-on, it doesn't offend me, your mileage may vary.

3) Crown - no doubts, it definitely protrudes too far out, but we're talking less than 0.5mm ish, still very noticeable compared to gen.

4) Movement - deco plate is nicer than the one on my JF V4 15400, rotor is audible but not offensive (to me anyway). We're talking PP here, so anyone SOME familiarity will instantly call it out when armed with a loupe, not that that'll ever happen in real life either! (NB: I buy these because I love watches for what they are, never to pass them off as real).

5) DW - I'm no expert here, but it looks good in person, perfectly aligned and crisp, with a bit of 'paint depth' under magnification. Plenty of reference pics if you're on the fence vs gen.

6) General quality - I've never handled another high end 5711 rep, so I can't make direct comparisons. There's a little play in the bracelet and some sharpness on the internal faces, but really, it's the most comfortable of the 15+ watches I own (that's the original 70's design at work - it's like wearing air!) That said, the weight is nice given the thinness and it feels just as well made as the JF V4 15400, which is no slouch there. Mine has NO 'stock' scratches or blemishes - it came well packaged and wrapped up.

Anyway, hope that's helpful. Happy horological addictions everyone!

Thanks for the update, very useful. Wear it in good health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WatchCool90210

20/1/17
Well, I'd consider it normal if it was a non aligned marker, a Rolex rehaut that doesn't have the coronet 100% centered, or a Royal Oak with a slightly short gap between the A and P in the logo. But this is a marker UPSIDE DOWN, man... This is not a matter of a customer being picky or not, it's a watch that should not come out from a factory unless you sell it at a good discount.

agree 100%.

this is just sleazy practice and we MUST hold our TDs to higher standards than this.

to even offer that watch to someone else knowing the terrible flaw it has speaks volumes about the character, or lack there of, of this particular seller.

please share what TD this was i can make sure to NEVER do business with them.

wholly unacceptable, and quite disgusting actually.
trailboss99

4thWheel

Horology Curious
12/1/19
I do have one (potential) negative to report

It stopped last night after only a few hours off the wrist. Started up fine in the morning (not jammed or anything) - it's the rotor. Comparing how it moves next to the 15400, it's far 'stickier' and won't move freely in the winding direction just by tilting the watch (you have to be walking etc). I suspect in making it thin, the rotor is now too light to do its job properly (gold on the real one for a reason!)

Having said that... yesterday I was embarrassingly sedentary (didn't even leave the house as working from home!) My phone says 301 steps.. oh dear... This won't have helped! It could be that it needs a dab of oil (anyone had similar experience with a recalcitrant 9015?) If this is how it is though, it's not a deal breaker for me - I rotate my watches every 3-4 days, so some manual winding is par for the course - I'd rather it be the right thickness. If this is to be your only watch for daily wear and it does turn out to be 'the way it is' with this one, I could see it being a problem.

Anyone else found the same?

Midnightx

17/3/17
Aaaand the td responded saying they didn't see the issue and that i will have to wait some days for another one if i don't accept

Classic but disappointing. I should have stopped using this td when they sent me a broken watch after the first one got seized like a year ago. This is my fault

Reactions: reklamezonen

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I do have one (potential) negative to report

It stopped last night after only a few hours off the wrist. Started up fine in the morning (not jammed or anything) - it's the rotor. Comparing how it moves next to the 15400, it's far 'stickier' and won't move freely in the winding direction just by tilting the watch (you have to be walking etc). I suspect in making it thin, the rotor is now too light to do its job properly (gold on the real one for a reason!)

Having said that... yesterday I was embarrassingly sedentary (didn't even leave the house as working from home!) My phone says 301 steps.. oh dear... This won't have helped! It could be that it needs a dab of oil (anyone had similar experience with a recalcitrant 9015?) If this is how it is though, it's not a deal breaker for me - I rotate my watches every 3-4 days, so some manual winding is par for the course - I'd rather it be the right thickness. If this is to be your only watch for daily wear and it does turn out to be 'the way it is' with this one, I could see it being a problem.

Anyone else found the same?

I don't recall who, but someone mentioned the rotor seemed a bit thin on the PPF. If a rotor doesn't have enough weight it makes it slightly more difficult for it to spin and thus to wind the watch. I guess there must be a way of adding some extra weight to the rotor or even changing it for another one. Nevertheless, there are already quite a few of these in the hands of our users and so far only one reports this issue so I'd be inclined towards a generally optimistic outcome.

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
4thWheel , your post about the dial color makes me very confused. you say that the iphone camera makes it look purple but than i cant understand why i dont see gen photos with same effect.

does your blue dial look like this?

4thWheel

Horology Curious
12/1/19
Sort of. Less of the green hue that's above 6 and below the logo there, you don't get as much of that. There's also less of a gradient towards the edge, more uniform, but this is a tricky dial to describe as it changes so much in different lights (why I initially went for prose rather than photos!). The only time it even SLIGHTLY suggests purple is under very warm artificial light, and even then you have to find the exact angle.

Mr.Marbella

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/16
EU
4thWheel , your post about the dial color makes me very confused. you say that the iphone camera makes it look purple but than i cant understand why i dont see gen photos with same effect.

does your blue dial look like this?

+ 1 this is the first time I heard that an iPhone camera changes the Color of a Blue Dial from this

59a2b2abe0357ba9cda5a42aae875ce9.jpg

To this ....

3c0ac63c305d84589fe869a494b5dee9.jpg

c6228f92ccf95b114353a6440f1d10a7.jpg

LOL

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

4thWheel

Horology Curious
12/1/19
Grey makes a good means of assessing white balance - hold up any watch made of plain steel to those photos, see which is closer

grafixen

Horology Curious
18/6/18
Funny, now non photographers and non image professionals or enthusiasts are trying to tell those who do this the whole day long how they're wrong. There is the image compression that every server applies to their image, the compression and processing of each phone to get to the best image.. All these multiple compressions change alter the color. A bit like the Turkish phone concept... You start with the correct image.. . And in the end it's all messed up. And people try to nitpick on the last result rather the initial precept

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Funny, now non photographers and non image professionals or enthusiasts are trying to tell those who do this the whole day long how they're wrong. There is the image compression that every server applies to their image, the compression and processing of each phone to get to the best image.. All these multiple compressions change alter the color. A bit like the Turkish phone concept... You start with the correct image.. . And in the end it's all messed up. And people try to nitpick on the last result rather the initial precept

Didn't see anyone in that thread telling others they were wrong.

People just wonder why the photo straight out of one phone gave the dial a strong purple appearance whereas others didn't.

Pretty popular phones, the question was legitimate for me. Of course we don't know anything of the lighting condition which could make this appear like that, but in the end, the question was legitimate.

Especially since there has been no multiple compression added, just straight photo from the phone then web hosting, and that won't turn blue into purple.

To me it's either a dial colour defect (which I doubt) or simply a white balance issue, it the dial was that purple, the poster couldn't tell "it's not purple at all"