• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New patek philippe nautilus from ppf

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
A simple walk through Watchuseek or The Rolex Forums will confirm your very accurate theory. The lack of knowledge about serial batches, hands, case shapes, crown guards, date fonts, etc, is utterly astonishing.

But, if you think about it, it kind of makes sense. For the vast majority of people a luxury watch is more a symbol of status rather than a marvel in design and ingenuity. Most of them simply have tons of cash and buy it because of peer pressure, and just a few buy them because the heritage, the complications or the mechanical prowess exhibited in them. These latter ones are the ones that, only very seldom, post a comment about a watch being a bit fishy because "the hour hand is slightly longer than it should", "the cyclops' edges aren't quite bevelled" or "the date font doesn't completely fill the date window". And still, they would require to be able to look carefully at your watch from close distance and without you moving it (try to spot any detail on a watch, and you will find it more difficult than it seems).

So, let's honour our PFs as they served us well, and let's enjoy our new PPFs, fellas. The king is dead, long live the king!

A friend of mine, got to buy a blue dial nautilus (at retail price lucky him...) first thing he said to me was: "look at this super expensive watch, you know what, it doesn't even have a battery..."!

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
A friend of mine, got to buy a blue dial nautilus (at retail price lucky him...) first thing he said to me was: "look at this super expensive watch, you know what, it doesn't even have a battery..."!

Get yourself a Grand Seiko and tell him it's better because it has the precision of a quartz but with no battery either. But because you are really a good friend, you are happy to swap it for his nonsense unprecise steel only Nautilus. Win win situation!

Reactions: TheEC and Midnightx

Rolly123

17/11/18

Thats the line I'm using if I ever get caught out wearing a rep

Reactions: Nivka and Glaude

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Mine's here!:clap:

I don't have calipers, but for all you thickness-wankers, I'd say that the 8.6mm mentioned in videos is probably right. I tried to measure it for you with a tape measure, even though you're dicks, and I'd have said it's about 8.55mm

Anyway, thickness aside, I'm very happy with it. The dial looks as good as it does in the photos we've all seen, a real stunner. I'm no Patek expert, so I'm not able to say more than has already been said on here tbh. The videos that have been posted paint a very accurate picture of the watch irl. The bracelet is very flexible, but it doesn't seem to fit any better than my white PF or blue MKv5 (though they fired me well too, so perhaps my wrist shape is just a good match). I'm well happy with it in short, that black and white, ebony and ivory, gorgeous lume is absolutely cracking. The crown size is a non issue to me and the movement looks great, the rotor is fairly quiet on mine - all good!

I might try and snap a few pics in daylight tomorrow depending on how much you nitpicky fuckers irritate me overnight.

:harhar:

roadtofreedom

Renowned Member
26/12/18
Mine's here!:clap:

I don't have calipers, but for all you thickness-wankers, I'd say that the 8.6mm mentioned in videos is probably right. I tried to measure it for you with a tape measure, even though you're dicks, and I'd have said it's about 8.55mm

Anyway, thickness aside, I'm very happy with it. The dial looks as good as it does in the photos we've all seen, a real stunner. I'm no Patek expert, so I'm not able to say more than has already been said on here tbh. The videos that have been posted paint a very accurate picture of the watch irl. The bracelet is very flexible, but it doesn't seem to fit any better than my white PF or blue MKv5 (though they fired me well too, so perhaps my wrist shape is just a good match). I'm well happy with it in short, that black and white, ebony and ivory, gorgeous lume is absolutely cracking. The crown size is a non issue to me and the movement looks great, the rotor is fairly quiet on mine - all good!

I might try and snap a few pics in daylight tomorrow depending on how much you nitpicky fuckers irritate me overnight.

:harhar:

Load pics my friend ....

Jamiek84

Known Member
27/3/16
Great news. Looking forward to the pics.. and hopefully a sales thread to follow :D

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GingerBubba

24/10/17
A couple of quickies - but it's dark here so I only have rubbish, artificial light. One thing I've just noticed is that at 22.30hrs here, the date is already moving towards the top of the date window (it was perfectly centred earlier). And indeed I've just tested it and the date slowly moves up the window until it clicks over at midnight. So I don't know if that's a tell or if it's Gen like? Anybody? Anyway, a couple of crappy teaser pics:

VIQHGD.jpg

VIQhCs.jpg

VIQd3h.jpg

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
GingerBubba
Can you share your thoughts on the following:

1. The lume color on the hands looked whiter than dial indices on TD pics. Is it noticeable IRL?
2. Is the date font raised or flat? And does the font height fill out the window?

Reactions: vcappp

GingerBubba

24/10/17
gingerbubba
can you share your thoughts on the following:

1. The lume color on the hands looked whiter than dial indices on td pics. Is it noticeable irl?

Not to my eyes, is looks bang on.

2. Is the date font raised or flat? And does the font height fill out the window?

flat and yes. I'll take some pics.....

Reactions: phdsjain

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Congrats GingerBubba looks lovely.

Sorry this thread almost broke your spirit but I’m glad it met your expectations.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk