• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New patek philippe nautilus from ppf

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
That’s not entirely right. I have bought a ppf and a pf.

Did the hybrid mod and sold the ppf base watch with the pf dial & hands within 2 hours - 410€.

So the total cost was maybe 500€ ( + - 50-100€ I cant remember ).

I don’t think ppf will change the bezel & crown issue anytime soon.. And Even if they do there will be a new issue - thicker case, bad dial etc.

If you wait for the factory to bring out the perfect 5711 rep you might aswell start saving for the Gen.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

I agree with your statement. You got good value and were able to mitigate some of the cost by selling the PPF base. At that pricing, I say its worth it. Honestly, it all matters on a person's preference and patience to wait. I would be a hypocrite if I said otherwise, because I own multiple super franken, regular frankens, and modded watches.

And heck, if I could get the work done for that amount, I think it would be worth it.

Here's how I calculated it:
- $498 for PPF + $35 shipping
- $498 for PF + $35 shipping
- International Fees, if applicable
- $50 for DWO
- $200-$400 for labor (depending on what you're doing)
-Putting the watch together
-Servicing the movement
- Oil bath for the bracelet, and modding to make it buttery smooth
- Silencing the rotor

That makes it about $1300-$1500. If you sell one of the bases, you would mitigate the cost and it would be closet to $900-$1,000. That's still worth it if you could flip it for close to that if a new watch comes out.

My fear with the 5711 watches is new versions come out relatively quickly. Doesn't it make more sense to just buy the newest and best version, do minimal modding (to keep your costs down), enjoy it as is, and wait until a new version is released that is great OTB, and just flip the old version? That way, you keep your costs down, and don't lose much money on the back end if a new version comes out that's better (e.g., thinner, better dial, etc.)

That said, it all comes down to preference, cost, and patience. Honestly, with your pricing scheme, I would likely do the modding work, too. Heck, I would buy yours if you sold it for that amount. So, I definitely understand.

I guess it just matters on the person.

Reactions: Playlife

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
If PPF is willing to sell their dial and hands separately it would cut down the cost. Having a TD service the movement for $100.00 prior to shipping also helps.

Reactions: BlackJaguar

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
If PPF is willing to sell their dial and hands separately it would cut down the cost. Having a TD service the movement for $100.00 prior to shipping also helps.

Agreed. This would definitely be the better course of action, if it was an option.

pablok

Horology Curious
17/8/18
Here's my PPF 5711, and a few observations:

1- I got it from Puretime, and I couldn't be happier with their communication and speed.
2- Overall I think it's an amazing watch and great value
3- The bracelet is superb. It's is a million times more comfortable than anything royaloakish. It's easily my most comfortable bracelet watch and most beautiful bracelet, rep or gen!!!
4- ZF/PPF made a great job with this movement. It does look spectacular inside this slim case. The rotor can be heard, but it's rather more quiet compared to my other watches with the same movement (maybe PPF did something about it?). It runs 15 seconds fast per day but very consistently, so I think it could be regulated well. (my experience with miyota 9015 is they tend to run very fast out of the box)
5- The crown sticks out too much and the screw down thread feels very rough. It's hard to screw it all the way down and I'm afraid to break it. I'm thinking about doing something about this eventually.
6- The clasp. I knew about the misbehaved ceramic spheres (aka "balls"). So when the watch arrived I opened and closed the clasp many times to have then fall while in a controlled environment (so I dont lose them!). But they held on. PPF may have corrected this issue, or maybe it's just my watch that came well glued. What I did was: I sandpapered the ends of the clasp (see image) and I gently made both ends a little wider with pliers. This to avoid pressing down too hard on the spheres when operating the clasp. As a result the clasp closes and opens as smoothtly as melted butter (it was a bit rough out of the box), and I hope this will make it harder for the spheres to fall eventually.

IMG-0660.jpg

IMG-0675.jpg

IMG-0668.jpg

IMG-0654.jpg

Last edited:

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
3- The bracelet is superb. It's is a million times more comfortable than anything royaloakish. It's easily my most comfortable bracelet watch and most beautiful bracelet, rep or gen!!!
4- ZF/PPF made a great job with this movement. It does look spectacular inside this slim case. The rotor can be heard, but it's rather more quiet compared to my other watches with the same movement (maybe PPF did something about it?). It runs 15 seconds fast per day but very consistently, so I think it could be regulated well. (my experience with miyota 9015 is they tend to run very fast out of the box)
5- The crown sticks out too much and the screw down thread feels very rough. It's hard to screw it all the way down and I'm afraid to break it. I'm thinking about doing something about this eventually.
On these 3 points I fully agree with you.

Reactions: pablok

tmp2018

Renowned Member
28/5/17
edit: seems to be the blue v2, compared a few photos, only pic 2 (scroll down) looks like the "gray" version, the other pics are green-gray-blue only & without purple...

5711-gray-bluev2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottymagic

arna67

Supporter
Certified
27/6/18
It's seem to me lume is off

Inviato dal mio SM-G975F utilizzando Tapatalk

arna67

Supporter
Certified
27/6/18
Too white

arna67

Supporter
Certified
27/6/18
It seems to me lume on hands is too white respect to the hours... wait for real pics

mottykytu

4/6/13
edit: seems to be the blue v2, compared a few photos, only pic 2 (scroll down) looks like the "gray" version, the other pics are green-gray-blue only & without purple...

5711-gray-bluev2.jpg

are you sure it is the gray blue v2? because the colour seem very different from the one in Video !
TD also confirm that Grey is different from blue/gray version 2