• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What's the best white dial Nautilus? Comparing PF, MKv6 and JJF to Gen

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Here is the white dial Patek Philippe 5711 Nautilus as gen. Retail is $29,000ish, and re-sale is around $50,000.

VuZIY0.jpg

On the wrist:
VuZc4r.jpg

And with its more popular brother, the blue dial:
VuZCUF.jpg

I had the opportunity to purchase a gen dial, and as luck would have it, PF has made their Nautilus from a gen, so it will accept gen dials as long as you cut the feet (because the movement is different). First off, this review wouldn't be possible without Karlus for offering to send me his PF Nautilus with a JJF dial installed.

While there are quite a few variants of the white dial Nautilus out, I'll primarily focus on the 'big 3' of Nautilus, which are:
  • JJF - primary comparison here
  • MKF v6
  • PF
I'll have some notes, but the majority of my comparison will be on JJF vs Gen, then describing some of my wishlists with the others. Long story short, the white dials look good at a distance, and JJF looks good from the front, but all fail at some point when comparing to gen.

52fNZ.jpg

Here are the pics, I'll have some commentary as we move through them:

5T1MZ.jpg

Some notes: The hands have been relumed, and I noticed that actually JJF makes better lumed minute hands than anyone else. I've ordered some hands and will be replacing them.

Major DIAL differences JJF to GEN:
  • Hour marker lume plots are wider on JJF
  • The "EV" in GENEVE are not joined like gen
  • Gen lume is bluish in shade, creamy white in artificial light, and pure white in sunlight. JJF is always white.
  • Date window on gen is flush with dial, JJF's sticks up and is an 'applied' SS box that really takes away from the dial
  • Typed print is not well done when looking up close
  • At an angle, the gen dial gets darker, the JJF stays white. Gen makes the markers pop.
  • The Hour markers stay black at an off angle, JJF reflects light more like a silverish finish
Shady light:
5X2W3.jpg

Direct sunlight:
5Xko8.jpg

Off angle - pay attention to the hour marker finish on the JJF vs Gen:
5X0mU.jpg

Gen off-angle:
5F0aQ.jpg

JJF Off angle:
5Fz4L.jpg

Different shady light:
5XRRD.jpg

5XChh.jpg

Off-angle - look how the gen dial gets darker and makes the markers pop. It does this at multiple angles and is SO cool.
5XJWs.jpg

Comparing SWISS at 6 oclock
5TUlg.jpg

Comparing logos - JJF is nowhere near GEN.
5TJAR.jpg

Date window on the JJF:
5Fa7Z.jpg

5Fqmb.jpg

Date window on the GEN:
5FRUA.jpg

5FkPf.jpg

5FCYT.jpg

Comparison:
VZP6J0.jpg

JJF Dial:
5F3Wd.jpg

Gen Dial:
5FOo2.jpg

52fNZ.jpg

Gen on wrist:
rMFlg.jpg

JJF on wrist:
rMlMZ.jpg

Finally, here are some comparisons of all 4 of the main versions out:

Dial comparisons:
VuZ6Uy.jpg

Date window comparisons (please note MK v6 has VERY rounded corners of the piano keys at the edge of the date window):
VuZVTa.jpg

Logo Comparison - MKF is most gen like, though PF is no slouch:
VuZK4G.jpg

SWISS comparison - MK v6 is best:
VuZzGq.jpg

Conclusions:
No dial is quite like gen.

JJF:
  • Pros: great from straight on, best color lume
  • Cons: date window is terribly finished and very high, logo is wrong (EV in geneve), font on SWISS is wrong, bad finishing at off-angles, seconds hand counter-balance top is flat (gen is textured), lume plots too wide
PF:
  • Pros: Great printing, almost everything is the right size, good angling of date window, best seconds hand
  • Cons: Date window is applied, lume is almost like toothpaste consistency and too yellow, printing isn't as good as MKF v6
MKF v6:
  • Pros: Best looking dial, lowest-sitting date window (but still not gen-like), best print
  • Cons: Lume is straight yellow, piano keys are rounded at the edge of the date window
TL;DR

What's the best build if I don't have a gen dial?

Option 1 - as long as you find a modder who will re-lume a Nautilus:
  • Buy a PF watch & the DWO from www.datewheel.info
  • Re-lume an MKF v6 dial + hands
  • Use PF Seconds hand
How will Option 1 look? Really good. The only negatives are the date window (outlined above) and off-angle finish.

Option 2 - no re-luming
  • Buy a PF watch & the DWO from www.datewheel.info
  • Install JJF Dial + Hands
  • Use PF Seconds hand
How will Option 2 look? Ok. JJF has wide lume plots, and the DW is very thick, which casts unnecessary shadows on the date itself. The printing is quite bad on the logo and SWISS logo, too, but it has the best color lume OOTB.

If you have a gen dial:
  • PF + DWO from www.datewheel.info
  • Gen dial, with feet cut :(
  • JJF hour and minute hands, PF seconds hand

Please, again give a major shout out to RWI and Karlus because without them this wouldn't have been possible to go as in-depth.

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Dang, I am throwing away my Nautilus now :)

Just kidding, great work on the comparison. Patek gen dial looks great especially under magnification. Real big difference

Reactions: majwilliams0308

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
This is awesome, thanks so much for taking the time.

Can I clarify one thing though. Somewhere you wrote, 'Some notes: The hands have been relumed'. Do you mean that the JJF hands have been relumed'? Or are they stock? If they have been relumed', has the appearance changed a lot?

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Thank you for the thorough and extensive review. This is very informative, and is a major contribution to the community.

Havitetty

21/8/17
Who else other than majwilliams0308 would go into such detail AND take the most incredible shots? What an INCREDIBLE review.

I tip my hat to you sir.

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17

Can I clarify one thing though. Somewhere you wrote, 'Some notes: The hands have been relumed'. Do you mean that the JJF hands have been relumed'? Or are they stock? If they have been relumed', has the appearance changed a lot?

Hey, I didn't relume the hands. As far as I know they came with the JJF that I used for parts.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Amazingly written and super useful post mate! Quick question though, I thought that the custom datewheel was not compatible with the MKF datewindow? I've been thinking about doing exactly what you recommend but didn't yet because I understood that there wasn't a MKF datewheel yet. Did I miss something?

​​​​​​Also I think that the MKF markers are reflecting the light at an angle even more than the PF. So the best solution may be MKF dial with JJF markers and hands. Any thoughts?

Thanks again, really appreciated!

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Great post !
Well written, full of non-biased info !

Just a word of caution : you used the TD pics for the MK v6 and it's hard to judge the lume colour in a situation when you have no idea of the lighting that was used or the post process that was done. They appear yellow on the pic, they could very well not be in real life. I've experienced that with the supposed green lume of the blue dial on the MK v5 and it's not true in that instance.

Thanks for taking the time to do that :)

Keylog74

14/6/13
Great comparative thread Maj!

trying to figure out a solution for the JJf date window. So far looks like this
aa7b4901a5167fead5386cc3e12e434c.jpg

I wish I still had the PF dial to try the same implementation... the JJF date wheel is ready so no longer need to get the PF dw for JJF dials

gabro

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/3/18

aa7b4901a5167fead5386cc3e12e434c.jpg

I wish I still had the PF dial to try the same implementation... the JJF date wheel is ready so no longer need to get the PF dw for JJF dials
JJF DW ready to order?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16

The PF hands on the watch that has the gen dial was re-lumed sorry for not clarifying that.

Thanks Keylog74. Makes sense - as long as those little divots can be filled in, painting that window will look great. The only issue is that the corners aren't rounded. I have my PF dial if you want it.

Great post !
Well written, full of non-biased info !

Just a word of caution : you used the TD pics for the MK v6 and it's hard to judge the lume colour in a situation when you have no idea of the lighting that was used or the post process that was done. They appear yellow on the pic, they could very well not be in real life. I've experienced that with the supposed green lume of the blue dial on the MK v5 and it's not true in that instance.

Thanks for taking the time to do that :)

Agreed. It was quite hard to find a good straight-on pic that was high-res and well balanced, but Puretime has a great off-angle photo with good white balance and the conclusion is still the same regardless of white balance - the lume is nothing like gen and needs to be re-lumed. Still, it's the best looking dial to my eyes if you can fix the lume.
VuCtdD.jpg

Tobel

6/7/17
The PF hands on the watch that has the gen dial was re-lumed sorry for not clarifying that.

Thanks Keylog74. Makes sense - as long as those little divots can be filled in, painting that window will look great. The only issue is that the corners aren't rounded. I have my PF dial if you want it.

Agreed. It was quite hard to find a good straight-on pic that was high-res and well balanced, but Puretime has a great off-angle photo with good white balance and the conclusion is still the same regardless of white balance - the lume is nothing like gen and needs to be re-lumed. Still, it's the best looking dial to my eyes if you can fix the lume.
VuCtdD.jpg

The dial itself yes, but unfortunately the markers reflect light way too much and become grey. Even on this picture they are not really black but dark grey, and they easily become light grey :(

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
The dial itself yes, but unfortunately the markers reflect light way too much and become grey. Even on this picture they are not really black but dark grey, and they easily become light grey :(

Yeah, the PF markers are the closest as far as that specific angle.