• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5711 White Dial: Gen vs JJF Comparison

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Hi folks,

Was building a PF/JJF mix for a 5711 white dial before kindly receiving an offer to buy a gen dial at a price I couldn't resist. Watch currently being built by Spongebob who kindly took photos of the JJF and Gen dials for comparison below:

Gen on right, JJF on left:

Untitled by Scott M, on Flickr

JJF:

Gen:

JJF

Gen:

Conclusion:

A very good attempt by JJF with the main flaw being the date frame sits above the window, while the gen dial fram is flush leading to a sunken date with the JJF dial. Text is also thinner than gen, with the lume plots being considerably larger. Would definitely recommend going franken if you can get a gen dial circa $1500 but I would be reluctant to pay any more than that.

Gifted the spare JJF dial to Keylog, with Sponge having removed the date frame to see if it can be modded to more gen like appearance.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
I'm starting to wonder whether a MKF dial with JJF markers into a PF case would be the ultimate solution, but that's a lot of mixing of parts!! ???? + We would need a MKF datewheel which I'm not sure is gonna see the light of day

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
I know I've said this multiple times, but I will say it again: I think the MK v.5 bracelet is WAYYYY better than the PF bracelet. If you have dealt with the MK v.5 bracelet, then you'll know the quality is better than the PF bracelet. The PF bracelet feels like a cheap plastic strap compared to the MK v.5. The MK v.5 is sold, sturdy, and just feels great on the wrist.

I had work done on the PF bracelet to remove the sharp edges, but I still prefer the MKF bracelet. The "bangle issue" can be fixed if you apply pressure to the bracelet to remove the bulge. Once you handle that, the bracelet hugs the wrist similarly to the PF bracelet and just feels better.

If we acquired a DWO for the MKF, and were able to change the markers on the white, you'd have the near perfect White Nautilus.

Tobel

6/7/17
I know I've said this multiple times, but I will say it again: I think the MK v.5 bracelet is WAYYYY better than the PF bracelet. If you have dealt with the MK v.5 bracelet, then you'll know the quality is better than the PF bracelet. The PF bracelet feels like a cheap plastic strap compared to the MK v.5. The MK v.5 is sold, sturdy, and just feels great on the wrist.

I had work done on the PF bracelet to remove the sharp edges, but I still prefer the MKF bracelet. The "bangle issue" can be fixed if you apply pressure to the bracelet to remove the bulge. Once you handle that, the bracelet hugs the wrist similarly to the PF bracelet and just feels better.

If we acquired a DWO for the MKF, and were able to change the markers on the white, you'd have the near perfect White Nautilus.

I trust your judgement on the feeling of the bracelet, but from a design perspective, it seems to me that the MKF bracelet has its polished part too sunken into the brushed parts, whereas the PF sticks out more which is more gen like

iskillio

12/9/14

Have you ever handled a gen 5711? The bracelet feels like a cheap toy. So I guess the PF is more gen hahaha. I'm not playing I've owned a gen 5711R even in gold it feels clunky and cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Have you ever handled a gen 5711? The bracelet feels like a cheap toy. So I guess the PF is more gen hahaha. I'm not playing I've owned a gen 5711R even in gold it feels clunky and cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ha, I didn't know that. I guess the PF is more gen-like. Haha. I still prefer the MKF dial.

To address the topic, the JJF white dial is not bad when compared to the gen. Shoutout to Scottymagic for the comparison.

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Another interesting (if minor flaw) with the JJF is the e and v should be touching in GENEVA.

One thing OP didnt mention is how close the silver white of the dials are to each other. Are they spot on?

BIONONE

28/4/17
Always perfect to see comparisons like this! This adds true value to our forum - it shows clearly under same light situations what should be addressed.

The DW cut out is indeed a bit weird compared to the flush gen counterpart. Excited what Spongebobs discoveries regarding the removing of the frame will tell us.

Anyways - lucky you - the gen dial is matching the PF DWO without any hassle.

Enjoy the gen dial ;)

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Always perfect to see comparisons like this! This adds true value to our forum - it shows clearly under same light situations what should be addressed.

The DW cut out is indeed a bit weird compared to the flush gen counterpart. Excited what Spongebobs discoveries regarding the removing of the frame will tell us.

Anyways - lucky you - the gen dial is matching the PF DWO without any hassle.

Enjoy the gen dial ;)

Yeah its amazing that the gen dial fits so perfectly with everything.

Keylog74

14/6/13
ac67f1655a52b5289a6089aef401d897.jpg
88f2115efcf1ab7965f06c0c9f43d447.jpg
9c5a306657b5d692750f26934e04fb96.jpg

Reactions: Nivka

Tobel

6/7/17

Now this is interesting. Not sure exactly what we can do about this, maybe try to thin the grey piece. Painting the border won't cut it as it's recessed + there's these notches on the top and bottom. What are your thoughts Keylog74 ?

Keylog74

14/6/13
the holes will be filled and than a same paint as gen will be applyed. the gen is also recessed so this should make it more gen like. anways more updates when Spongebob updates. :D

Reactions: Scottymagic

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
You will need to fill and file the notches. You can paint the recessed area...carefully. Or have some kind of stamp in the correct shape you can apply multiple times.

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
the holes will be filled and than a same paint as gen will be applyed. the gen is also recessed so this should make it more gen like. anways more updates when Spongebob updates. :D

Do please update. I am also working on a 5711 nautilus and hope Spongebob can repeat a successful experiment with mine.