Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

Franken Project: White Nautilus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• majwilliams0308
    started a topic Franken Project: White Nautilus

Franken Project: White Nautilus

Some of you probably know that I acquired a gen dial from brane and I've been getting some sage advice from theREALgoat as well.

So yeah, I had the fortune of getting a gen white Nautilus dial, and I decided it would be fun to chronicle the process of getting this to a final state.

My projected build is most likely going to be:

1. PF Nautilus 5711 base
    2. Gen white dial ($1100 on M2M here, now going for ~$3k)
    3. JJF White Nautilus hands
    4. DWO done by Keylog74

However, due to CNY and unavailability/impatience, I am going to use the PF hands as the lume matches pretty closely. I can change the hands out later relatively easy after CNY. My TD has confirmed he can get me the JJF hands.

Work is going to be done by yodog because he's the bomb. I asked him to put the DWO as close to the dial as possible, and he does a good job of centering the dates. I've also asked him to take pics during the process so we can all learn from his wisdom.

The dial:

These pics are comparing the lume color to PF. Sorry for the crappy lighting, I took them last night with my iphone before packaging them.

Last edited by majwilliams0308; 24-01-19, 19:47.

• DoctorDark
    replied
    Originally posted by BIONONE View Post

lets see what patek is presenting at the Baselworld - beside the prestige that comes with the secondary market price fuckery i think they are capable of boosting their own sales with the right models, changes and marketing strategies - just like the 20% more or so on top of their old retail price...

... and with that the demand in china is also rising so the pressure is even higher for our chinese friends
    Yeah. I just hope the quality of reps continue to increase. Though I am tempted to make a massive project out of a PF White Nautilus to make it the best possible rep there is.

Leave a comment:

• BIONONE
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorDark View Post

Well to be fair with the current price of a gen white dial nautilus you can pretty much rebuild the entire damn thing with a monkey's load of franken parts and still be at a fraction of its absurd cost.
    lets see what patek is presenting at the Baselworld - beside the prestige that comes with the secondary market price fuckery i think they are capable of boosting their own sales with the right models, changes and marketing strategies - just like the 20% more or so on top of their old retail price...

... and with that the demand in china is also rising so the pressure is even higher for our chinese friends

Leave a comment:

• DoctorDark
    replied
    Originally posted by Sbybbuser View Post
    Wow. Wonderful project.
    Turns out great.
    Great looking watch at a fraction of the price of gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well to be fair with the current price of a gen white dial nautilus you can pretty much rebuild the entire damn thing with a monkey's load of franken parts and still be at a fraction of its absurd cost.

Leave a comment:

• J.B.Thomas
    replied
    Originally posted by gilrob View Post

Frankening a watch involves replacing replica part(s) with genuine factory parts.
    Thank you for the clarification!!

Sent from the RWI App

Leave a comment:

• gilrob
    replied
    Originally posted by J.B.Thomas View Post
    I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area, even though I have been a member for years, I’ve only started using this in the last month or so. I just have a general question on the term “Franken”, I’m taking a wild guess and saying it’s a self modded watch? I see the term everywhere. Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using RWI
    Frankening a watch involves replacing replica part(s) with genuine factory parts.

Leave a comment:

• J.B.Thomas
    replied
    I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area, even though I have been a member for years, I’ve only started using this in the last month or so. I just have a general question on the term “Franken”, I’m taking a wild guess and saying it’s a self modded watch? I see the term everywhere. Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Leave a comment:

• Nivka
    replied
    Originally posted by stowee View Post

How do you like your 5712?

Not mine unfortunately

Leave a comment:

• stowee
    replied
    Originally posted by Nivka View Post

Depends on the lighting I guess?
    How do you like your 5712?

Leave a comment:

• Nivka
    replied

Originally posted by theREALgoat View Post

That's only on the blue dial 5711
    Depends on the lighting I guess?

Leave a comment:

• theREALgoat
    replied
    I saw this on insta today. Looks like the lume on the hands and hour markers are different too in outdoor lighting
    That's only on the blue dial 5711

Leave a comment:

• MonsieurMax
    replied
    Originally posted by Os-92 View Post

Can’t believe it ! This project is perfect !!
    I think that's gen, it was a reference to what the hands should look like outdoors.

Leave a comment:

• Os-92
    replied
    Originally posted by Karlus View Post

Ok, PF watch with white JJF dial is on the way and should be there in a week. Sorry to those following along it took so long.
    Believe me am eagerly waiting for the comparison !!!
    thank you all for the great effort and help for the community

Leave a comment:

• Os-92
    replied
    I saw this on insta today. Looks like the lume on the hands and hour markers are different too in outdoor lighting
    Can’t believe it ! This project is perfect !!

Leave a comment:

• Os-92
    replied
    As rcom440 has pointed out in another post that there are three variants of the blue dial. i feel it’s actually hard to distinguish between the gen and the rep

Leave a comment:

Working...
X