• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken Project: White Nautilus

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Super interesting that the new PF Datewheel is a perfect fit for the gen dial. JJF's window is off, it seems.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Super interesting that the new PF Datewheel is a perfect fit for the gen dial. JJF's window is off, it seems.

Yeah - when PF first came out, they claimed that they bought a gen and replicated it 1:1. The fact that the gen dial and the DW mod fit perfectly is a testament to that claim.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Yeah - when PF first came out, they claimed that they bought a gen and replicated it 1:1. The fact that the gen dial and the DW mod fit perfectly is a testament to that claim.

PF measurements are the most accurate compared to the gen. Was examining those similarities during the digital process and was impressed how everybody else (JJF, MKF and of course the stock PF DWO) make it so difficult to produce a decent layout for the numbers...

Due to a different diameter of the DWO everything gets trickier while PF stuck to the gen measurements and made it easier for us. MKF and all the others suffer from this issue by the visibility of the previous date on the upper edge if you scale up the numbers...

Managed to make a decent JJF DWO in the end after some struggling - hope you will be pleased with the layout hehe

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
PF measurements are the most accurate compared to the gen. Was examining those similarities during the digital process and was impressed how everybody else (JJF, MKF and of course the stock PF DWO) make it so difficult to produce a decent layout for the numbers...

Due to a different diameter of the DWO everything gets trickier while PF stuck to the gen measurements and made it easier for us. MKF and all the others suffer from this issue by the visibility of the previous date on the upper edge if you scale up the numbers...

Managed to make a decent JJF DWO in the end after some struggling - hope you will be pleased with the layout hehe

Do you think the JJF DWO will fit in the MKF version? I am tempted with that new v6, but it looks like the same dial as the v5 - they just switched the movement.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Also, yodog, was kind enough to provide some "in-progress" pics.

XYmtG.jpg

XYA2q.jpg

XYXFa.jpg

Here are a few more of the finished product:

XY4Qy.jpg

And here is something peculiar, the lume matches in artificial light, but in natural daylight, the bluish tint that can be seen in the OP is not present in the lume from yodog. I'll see if JJF's hands are any better when they come (will be a few weeks)

XhV66.jpg

Can anyone provide me a pic of the stock white dial PF on the wrist or held in the hand so I can make a side-by-side? It can have the DWO mod, just want to compare the dials really.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
I got this last night! Let's just say this dial is RIDICULOUS! Pics don't do it justice when its on the wrist. The way it picks up light has to be seen to be believed. The PF dial is not close enough IMO to this beauty just solely in terms of lustre.

The big thing I noticed was that the lume on the dial is white/yellowish in artificial light and bluish in daylight. See the pics to see what I mean. It's going to be tough to match.

tHxNg.jpg

tHkDR.jpg

tH0kZ.jpg

tHoLy.jpg

tHCy2.jpg

Here are indoor/night shots:

tHcHd.jpg

tHze8.jpg

tHINb.jpg

And here are wrist shots:

tHvB3.jpg

tHgDq.jpg

tHlkG.jpg

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Would be amazing to see the gen next to the JJF dial for comparison. Im curious about the silvery look and if JJF nailed it or not.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Looks great! Congrats.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Would be amazing to see the gen next to the JJF dial for comparison. Im curious about the silvery look and if JJF nailed it or not.

If someone sent me their JJF and they are CONUS I'll happily take photos and ship it back.

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
That looks amazing, can't believe you were able to find a gen dial. Makes me dream of doing this to my pf

J.B.Thomas

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/10/13
The Franken project is absolutely perfection. What blows my mind is the fact that, all this time the dial was circular. I assumed it was a porthole shape all this time. Super interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

J.B.Thomas

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/10/13
I am planning to purchase a PF and try to build a solid yellow gold bezel, and linkage to a leather band.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
The Franken project is absolutely perfection. What blows my mind is the fact that, all this time the dial was circular. I assumed it was a porthole shape all this time. Super interesting.

Thank you! Yeah that was a surprise to me as well the first time I took apart a Nautilus too.

I took a lume shot last night as well. Yodog's lume is on the minute hands.

3KYS3.md.jpg

Also, Karlus has been kind enough to let me borrow his JJF Nautilus for a side by side comparison. It just reaffirms to me that the Patek community here is THE BEST.

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Thank you! Yeah that was a surprise to me as well the first time I took apart a Nautilus too.

I took a lume shot last night as well. Yodog's lume is on the minute hands.

3KYS3.md.jpg

Also, Karlus has been kind enough to let me borrow his JJF Nautilus for a side by side comparison. It just reaffirms to me that the Patek community here is THE BEST.

Man, this is absolutely beauty. Just amazing. Wear it in good health, my friend.

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
I can get a gen dial in London for around £2700 (expensive but if anyone is interested let me know)!