Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

Franken Project: White Nautilus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    majwilliams0308 , any plans to do the case thinning mod? Thanks.

    Comment


      #17
      feet were cut completely off, gen dial is a perfect fit using the same dial dots that the stock dial is fitted with.
      Gens: Rolex 116334, Rolex 116233 DD, Rolex 16018 DJ, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex 1675/3
      Reps: Franken 1675, Franken 116520


      My Vintage Rolex Builds!

      Comment


        #18
        I don't know if it's the light or my imagination but the case and bracelet look better polished / brushed. Did you provide it with any special treatment?

        Comment


          #19
          Yes I sneezed on it and my magical snot made it look "gen rebrushed"






          just kidding AFAIK this is stock, Im a Rolex guy but this watch is pretty damn cool!
          Gens: Rolex 116334, Rolex 116233 DD, Rolex 16018 DJ, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex 1675/3
          Reps: Franken 1675, Franken 116520


          My Vintage Rolex Builds!

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by yodog View Post
            Yes I sneezed on it and my magical snot made it look "gen rebrushed"






            just kidding AFAIK this is stock, Im a Rolex guy but this watch is pretty damn cool!
            I definitely need to buy some "magical snot polishing fluid" for my daily beaters, maybe it's better than Cape Cod cloth

            Comment


              #21
              Super interesting that the new PF Datewheel is a perfect fit for the gen dial. JJF's window is off, it seems.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Karlus View Post
                Super interesting that the new PF Datewheel is a perfect fit for the gen dial. JJF's window is off, it seems.
                Yeah - when PF first came out, they claimed that they bought a gen and replicated it 1:1. The fact that the gen dial and the DW mod fit perfectly is a testament to that claim.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by majwilliams0308 View Post

                  Yeah - when PF first came out, they claimed that they bought a gen and replicated it 1:1. The fact that the gen dial and the DW mod fit perfectly is a testament to that claim.
                  PF measurements are the most accurate compared to the gen. Was examining those similarities during the digital process and was impressed how everybody else (JJF, MKF and of course the stock PF DWO) make it so difficult to produce a decent layout for the numbers...

                  Due to a different diameter of the DWO everything gets trickier while PF stuck to the gen measurements and made it easier for us. MKF and all the others suffer from this issue by the visibility of the previous date on the upper edge if you scale up the numbers...

                  Managed to make a decent JJF DWO in the end after some struggling - hope you will be pleased with the layout hehe

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Looks crisp!

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by BIONONE View Post

                      PF measurements are the most accurate compared to the gen. Was examining those similarities during the digital process and was impressed how everybody else (JJF, MKF and of course the stock PF DWO) make it so difficult to produce a decent layout for the numbers...

                      Due to a different diameter of the DWO everything gets trickier while PF stuck to the gen measurements and made it easier for us. MKF and all the others suffer from this issue by the visibility of the previous date on the upper edge if you scale up the numbers...

                      Managed to make a decent JJF DWO in the end after some struggling - hope you will be pleased with the layout hehe
                      Do you think the JJF DWO will fit in the MKF version? I am tempted with that new v6, but it looks like the same dial as the v5 - they just switched the movement.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Also, yodog, was kind enough to provide some "in-progress" pics.





                        Here are a few more of the finished product:



                        And here is something peculiar, the lume matches in artificial light, but in natural daylight, the bluish tint that can be seen in the OP is not present in the lume from yodog. I'll see if JJF's hands are any better when they come (will be a few weeks)





                        Can anyone provide me a pic of the stock white dial PF on the wrist or held in the hand so I can make a side-by-side? It can have the DWO mod, just want to compare the dials really.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          I got this last night! Let's just say this dial is RIDICULOUS! Pics don't do it justice when its on the wrist. The way it picks up light has to be seen to be believed. The PF dial is not close enough IMO to this beauty just solely in terms of lustre.

                          The big thing I noticed was that the lume on the dial is white/yellowish in artificial light and bluish in daylight. See the pics to see what I mean. It's going to be tough to match.








                          Here are indoor/night shots:





                          And here are wrist shots:




                          Comment


                            #28
                            Would be amazing to see the gen next to the JJF dial for comparison. Im curious about the silvery look and if JJF nailed it or not.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Looks great! Congrats.


                              TitleistRolex: my question wasn't to ask "Hey QueDick can you tell any flaws of this watch or that watch?!"
                              RM#1:
                              I’ll give you my cell and FaceTime me and I’ll show you wealth you petty lil child



                              QFOAHDT

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Karlus View Post
                                Would be amazing to see the gen next to the JJF dial for comparison. Im curious about the silvery look and if JJF nailed it or not.
                                If someone sent me their JJF and they are CONUS I'll happily take photos and ship it back.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X