• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Aquanaut bezel removal/replacement?

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
I just received my new ZF Aquanaut - and it really is a fantastic watch. I really think we shouldn't be too anal on the QC because once you receive it in the person, those "left adjusted datewheel" are really not that obvious given the size of the watch in real life.

However, I did encounter a very obvious problem - and that is a huge area of stain on the ss bezel. I tried wiping, soap water and alcohol, none of them worked even a little bit. I'm quite convinced it's some sort of chemical stain.

I'm thinking to replace that bezel. Does anyone know if the bezel construction on the ZF is like a normal watch, where if you just pry it'll come off? Any precautions I should take?

Thanks in advance!

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
The ZF 5167 actually got the first gen-like case construction - that means the bezel is part of the case itself and cannot be removed. The case is made of just 2 parts in this regard. Older Aquanauts got a bezel attached to the mid case closed by the case back like ordinary divers.
Not so the 5167 which is milled out of one piece.

Only thing you can to is remove the crystal after removing the movement from the back and let someone rebrush and repolish the bezel.

Reactions: vcappp

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
The ZF 5167 actually got the first gen-like case construction - that means the bezel is part of the case itself and cannot be removed. The case is made of just 2 parts in this regard. Older Aquanauts got a bezel attached to the mid case closed by the case back like ordinary divers.
Not so the 5167 which is milled out of one piece.

Only thing you can to is remove the crystal after removing the movement from the back and let someone rebrush and repolish the bezel.

Thanks bud. That's disappointing news for me. But you saved me at least two hours of useless effort trying to pry it off.

At this point I'm not too sure what I can do here until i figure out what the stain is - not even 100% alcohol worked.

Tobel

6/7/17
Thanks bud. That's disappointing news for me. But you saved me at least two hours of useless effort trying to pry it off.

At this point I'm not too sure what I can do here until i figure out what the stain is - not even 100% alcohol worked.

If it is an obvious flaw can you return it to your TD?

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
If it is an obvious flaw can you return it to your TD?

Yes. After speaking with the TD I will be doing that. Under strong lighting (where QC photos are taken) the stain can't be seen. But boy it's obvious when it's indoor lighting...

Tobel

6/7/17
Yes. After speaking with the TD I will be doing that. Under strong lighting (where QC photos are taken) the stain can't be seen. But boy it's obvious when it's indoor lighting...

Glad you've found a solution mate!

Tobel

6/7/17
BTW I was wondering about your profile pic, is it a custom 116710 with custom pepsi bezel and red GMT hand? Never seen any of these before so now I'm curious :)

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada

I had a stain on a older watch and alcohol didn't work either. So I tried tarnish remover and the stain easily came off.

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
BTW I was wondering about your profile pic, is it a custom 116710 with custom pepsi bezel and red GMT hand? Never seen any of these before so now I'm curious :)

It's just a photoshop product lol, you can find plenty of them over at TRF.

Tobel

6/7/17
It's just a photoshop product lol, you can find plenty of them over at TRF.

Aha :) crap I thought it looked good! I've seen custom pepsi gen builds on Chrono24, but never coke ones! Lol

YKL boy

Horology Curious
26/2/21
Hi! I just got my zf aquanaut today and i noticed a stain at the 2 and 3 o clock area...

Heres some pics below.
Anyone found a way to remove it?