• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KMF Aquanaut with Date Wheel Mod (It Fits!)

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Folks - after a discussion with Keylog74 , I decided to pull the trigger with him sourcing the watch for me to send directly to Steve to see if the date wheel fits - after all besides the poor stock datewheel, it seemed to be considered the best aquanaut available with almost gen like thickness.

And the date wheel fits - so time to bin the ZF and use the $50 saving, for the date wheel mod to get the best looking Aquanaut available (that isn't £15k+):p

Untitled by Scott M, on Flickr

Untitled by Scott M, on Flickr

Reactions: vcappp

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
question:
1. does the modded DW fit the ZF aquanaut?
2. how does the KMF movement look like? Is it more genlike than the ZF movement in your opinion? I saw the comparison thread and thought the ZF mvt looks better decorated.

Talha

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/6/17
Wow! Great Info! This is definitely a killer combo!

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
I think ZF has a better dial and movement. It's not only about the thickness, which by the way is 0.3 more on the ZF compared to the KMF.

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
question:
1. does the modded DW fit the ZF aquanaut?
2. how does the KMF movement look like? Is it more genlike than the ZF movement in your opinion? I saw the comparison thread and thought the ZF mvt looks better decorated.

1. Don’t know.
2. Look at the comparison threads that have been done recently - KMF is generally better with ZF having a better looking movement yes, but let’s be honest none of which are going to fool anyone that knows a gen.

For the same price as ZF (KMF + date wheel mod), I think this combo is the best available and can probably not be told apart on wrist with gen

mrsmith1

9/11/18
Anyone selling the combo KMF + Date wheel mod ... I want one

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
I think ZF has a better dial and movement. It's not only about the thickness, which by the way is 0.3 more on the ZF compared to the KMF.

Have to disagree here re the dial but it's all about opinions.

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
If you look at this detailed comparison, done by majwilliams0308, I understand that ZF has an amazing dial and that KMF is lacking the brownish/copperish tones of the gen, which ZF has.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...t-showdown-v6f-vs-zf-vs-kmf-exhaustive-review

The KMF blue dial was being reviewed with Maj himself admitting he'd only seen pics of the grey dial.....can clearly see the nice sunburst from my pictures. Slap a date wheel in this (that's not left alligned like the ZF), then you have a watch that bar the movement pisses over ZF's, (whose dial has an issue at the number 5).

The only thing the ZF is clearly better than the KMF is the movement but what's the point when no rep will ever fool someone who has seen a gen movement?

Anyway a good attempt by both factories, just this mod takes KMF to the next level.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
KMF is missing a bit of brownish sunburst, but ZF over-did it and is WAY too present and sunburst too strong in natural light. I think KMF/ZF are equally "good" or "bad" in that sense.

KMF wins overall on case and thickness - and that's the real selling point here. No you probably not notice 0.45mm difference between KMF and ZF, but that's not the point, you need to look at the difference of 0.79mm between GEN and ZF - and that is a "major" difference when KMF is only 0.31mm

As Scotty says - fuck the deco plate to add extra thickness. Anyone can tell it's not a gen movement anyways if they have a look. The ones who can't tell it apart, also wont be able to tell the KMF decoration apart anyways.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Very great to see some brave members who try out some new combinations to develop the modding game ;)

wear it well! What a luck that it also fits this KMF 5167.

Reactions: Scottymagic

Talha

9/6/17
This might be a stupid question, but which KMF dial color is this one? Black or grey? It seems from the pics of the TDs that the grey dial looks more like the gen black dial.

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
This might be a stupid question, but which KMF dial color is this one? Black or grey? It seems from the pics of the TDs that the grey dial looks more like the gen black dial.

This is grey - black dial is fantasy (I think!)

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
This is GREAT news. I am waiting for my PF Nautilus to arrive so I can send it off to yodog to install both for me. This will put my navy Aquanaut over the moon.

fibnT.jpg

Reactions: LuminorReptar

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
This is GREAT news. I am waiting for my PF Nautilus to arrive so I can send it off to yodog to install both for me. This will put my navy Aquanaut over the moon.

fibnT.jpg

Is it dust on dial? I've seen it on all MKF Aquanauts (even on my own QC, which I approved cause I guess it was just assembled in a sandstorm)

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I don't want to hijack this thread, but that KMF dial doesn't look that gen like. Nor does the ZF's one for that matter, though in real life it'd be really hard to tell one from the other.

What sets the gen apart from the rep attempts is the thinness of the gen dial: it's ludicrously thin and the grooves on it are so much shallower than the rep grooves. What's more ZF overdid the sunburst effect. But guess what, I actually like the ZF sunburst effect more that the gen one :) Just my 2 cents

On a more general note, that date wheel transplantation looks fabulous. Great stuff!