• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Calatrava is out

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Guys i completely can back the fact that the miyota zf is using is unreliable
i had a zf aquanaut, after some days of having it the second hand wouldnt want to move, it was fully charged but it just wouldnt move so i had to wind the crown and it worked but i noticed that it always stopped at the same spot
after sometime even winding the crown it wouldnt want to move from the same spot, so i started hitting the watch with my fingers and it moved, however it did one complete circle and stopped at the same place anyway
bored of it i hitted it repeatedly till it started working again
i then wore it for 10 days straight without an issue and when i took it off and it naturally lost its charge it would always stop at the same spot
hitting it as before achieved nothing but another full circle and coming back to its spot
Also what i can say is that the movement is dirty as hell, mine had a stain on the decoration which i didnt notice during the qc, it was black and sticky like a dirty chewing gum
now my aquanaut is being serviced and i also got a zf calatrava which doesnt hold much charge, when i take it off in the evening it stops after a couple of hours even as i fully wind it in the morning
i read of at least one other miyota having the same trouble in this section
imho these 9015 are a timebomb and i advice you to get yours serviced asap, my calatrava is going as well when the aquanaut returns

Sounds like the seconds hand is hitting something eg crystal or an hour marker

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
The good news is that you can buy a brand new Miyota 9015 for less than $90 and it should be a direct swap. Granted, you lose the decorated movement but the 9015 has been proven a workhorse at the level of the 2824 or 2836, so what you lose in aesthetics you gain it in reliability. And maybe the deco plate can be swapped too (you can swap the rotor, that's for sure).

Reactions: vcappp

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
The good news is that you can buy a brand new Miyota 9015 for less than $90 and it should be a direct swap. Granted, you lose the decorated movement but the 9015 has been proven a workhorse at the level of the 2824 or 2836, so what you lose in aesthetics you gain it in reliability. And maybe the deco plate can be swapped too (you can swap the rotor, that's for sure).

The case back size customized for Deco miyota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
The case back size customized for Deco miyota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But surely a non-deco should fit, right? I mean, a non-decorated Miyota has less things, or am I missing something?

BIONONE

28/4/17
But surely a non-deco should fit, right? I mean, a non-decorated Miyota has less things, or am I missing something?

he is talking about the balance bridge which is custom on the ZF and different from the stock 9015 part.

What Repworld didn't understood is that you simply can swap a 9015, adapt the deco of the remaining plates and use the DWO and hands to achieve a half decent ZF look but with a stock 9015 bridge if you don't use the old ZF one.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
he is talking about the balance bridge which is custom on the ZF and different from the stock 9015 part.

What Repworld didn't understood is that you simply can swap a 9015, adapt the deco of the remaining plates and use the DWO and hands to achieve a half decent ZF look but with a stock 9015 bridge if you don't use the old ZF one.

That's what I mean. If I go and take the rep 9015 and swap it for a brand new one I should only have to worry about the datewheel, right? I should take the DWO out and stick it onto the new 9015. All the rest, hands size, stem height, etc, should be the same.

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
It definitely wasnt hitting any marker/other hand, i believe its the movement which is dirty.

Then why was it stopping at the same spot each time? I’d take it to a watchmaker and have them check before buying a whole new movement. Could be a $15 fix

Chemicalz

Renowned Member
27/2/15
Then why was it stopping at the same spot each time? I’d take it to a watchmaker and have them check before buying a whole new movement. Could be a $15 fix

Yeah as i said i sent it to be serviced last week, i will be able to update about the real issue in a while

Reactions: Nivka

gabro

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/3/18
maybe getting out of topic here, but was anyone able to make this watch sounds quiter. I tried many oils and even grease nothing gave same results as how i got my 5711 from spongbob

nomana

Renowned Member
13/2/18
maybe getting out of topic here, but was anyone able to make this watch sounds quiter. I tried many oils and even grease nothing gave same results as how i got my 5711 from spongbob

There is diy post here. I think I saw it recently

mdg89

Horology Curious
3/3/14
Hi guys- long time lurker, first time poster (edit = apparently I have posted 5 times before!)

Bought at RG Calatrava that arrived yesterday- first off, it’s stunning and the strap is the best I’ve seen on a rep.

However...

When I went to set the time, the minute hand jammed between 10 and 20. The Hour was still going around normally, gave it a firm tap which seemed to release it. But now the minute hand and hour hand are out of sync. Tried to set it again so that they are in sync, but the minute hand jammed again at the same place

To make it worse any kind of moderate shake on the wrist or by hand now makes the minute hand jump around.

Question is: Do I return it to the TD (Trusty- I know not a TD here) or is this easy fix for someone in the UK to do... if the latter does anyone have any recommendations- preferably in London?

thanks!

Last edited:

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
Hi guys- long time lurker, first time poster (edit = apparently I have posted 5 times before!)

Bought at RG Calatrava that arrived yesterday- first off, it’s stunning and the strap is the best I’ve seen on a rep.

However...

When I went to set the time, the minute hand jammed between 10 and 20. The Hour was still going around normally, gave it a firm tap which seemed to release it. But now the minute hand and hour hand are out of sync. Tried to set it again so that they are in sync, but the minute hand jammed again at the same place

To make it worse any kind of moderate shake on the wrist or by hand now makes the minute hand jump around.

Question is: Do I return it to the TD (Trusty- I know not a TD here) or is this easy fix for someone in the UK to do... if the latter does anyone have any recommendations- preferably in London?

thanks!

Ask ado213 he is based in the UK and may be able to help

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09

However...

thanks!

It might be that one of the hands is not set completely parallel to the dial and its getting stuck in one of the markers.

You can also check with Rolie, he's a user in our sister forum, RWG. Based up north but he's been my watchsmith all the time I've been living in UK. Check him out in case Ado (which is indeed a very good option) is too busy.

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18

However...

thanks!

Should be an easy fix. Stop messing with it until a watchmaker can get it opened up! Wouldn't want to scratch up the hands or the markers.

jun.pp

Horology Curious
13/2/19

However...

thanks!

Same thing happend to mine about 2 weeks after receiving the watch. It was an easy fix for my watchsmith though.

gabro

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/3/18
Beautiful watch!
d030532438460d0995de0322dc7c82b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

mdg89

Horology Curious
3/3/14
Quick update - I sent my watch off to Rolie over on RWG, and hopefully now all fixed! Btw- great service, sent to him on Monday and got it back today!

Reactions: Hinclimincli