• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Calatrava is out

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Hey guys! The watch is stunning. Will it fit an 8.25" wrist out of the box? .. Thanks!

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
It's been a month since I had it, and it wasn't there when I bought it so I don't think he will, haha. It's 100% my fault, but I can't imagine where or how did it happen. I don't wear it often and I don't even drink so I should remember, lol!

Might try the Cape cod inside the case back and see how far can I go. Worst case I can try asking Toro for just a bezel.

My humble advice after years of being in this hobby, and having plenty of RG reps, is to let it go, and enjoy the rep, even if it has this scratch.. usually, it is heart breaking when you first see it, but with time, the hurt will go away, and your eyes won't see it anymore.. don't ruin a great looking watch, and on the wrist it doesn't really show believe me.. after a year if it is still bothering you, which I am sure it won't, put it on M2M.. please don't try to ruin it, it will make you feel 10 times worse, as you won't even going to be able to sell it.. unfortunately this comes with the hobby, we all go threw it.. just enjoy it mate.. and try to be more careful next time :)

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
GF thanks for the input. In your opinion, does shelling out another 300 euros - almost the same cost of the rep justify the extra quality of the strap? I've never seen a CF strap in person so I'd like more perspective before making a decision! Thanks!

I am really biased when it comes to CF. I have one made for literally every rep that has leather strap. CF is the authorized maker of many high end luxury watches including Patek Philippe, they have all references, and would let you know in advance what are the specs of the strap for each reference, and the color codes if it is not on the website. To me personally, this is the closest I can get a gen look when I install the CF strap, as it will look on the wrist 100% gen PP strap, but much less in price of course, as the new gen PP straps start with a 500 euros tag. I always look to make my reps closest to gen, and with CF straps it makes huge difference, the only difference between CF strap and PP strap is the CF Vs. PP stamp from inside. that's it. therefore I always opted to get one for all my leather strap reps. Having said that, with this particular calatrava, the rep strap is much better than the other older models.. and I quite like it and would wear it. so it's all up to you and your budget and needs, there might be other strap makers that would be able to make a strap for you much less, but frankly, I have never looked into it, as I said I am looking for closest to gen possible.. and CF straps always gave it the look I want. that's my humble experience.

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
My humble advice after years of being in this hobby, and having plenty of RG reps, is to let it go, and enjoy the rep, even if it has this scratch.. usually, it is heart breaking when you first see it, but with time, the hurt will go away, and your eyes won't see it anymore.. don't ruin a great looking watch, and on the wrist it doesn't really show believe me.. after a year if it is still bothering you, which I am sure it won't, put it on M2M.. please don't try to ruin it, it will make you feel 10 times worse, as you won't even going to be able to sell it.. unfortunately this comes with the hobby, we all go threw it.. just enjoy it mate.. and try to be more careful next time :)

I share this view too, I do find mezmerizing how we humans believe that objects can be imbued of their owners "esscense" making iconic horology pieces such as The 6239 Paul Newman "The Paul Newman", the James Bond 6538, The Neil Armstrong Speedmaster, The 6263 Clapton Albino, 5970 Charlie sheen or the Steve McQueen 1655, and so on.
I personally believe that watches are common watches until you wear them and marks start to appear here and there, then they grow on me (or not) but I have the feeling that those marks create that piece personality, changes to be a regular watch like millions to be YOUR watch.

I agree aswell on not to try to fix, if just you cant cope the scratch the best is to sell for a little less and get a brand new one from TDs again
I did learn this messing several pieces.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Very nice quality and fantastic timepiece.

However, looking at the date and then looking here:
https://watchbase.com/patek-philippe/calatrava/5296g-010

... the date size and font seems quite different.

Also, the little line over the E in Genève is missing.

What do you think?

Hmmm... Check this out:

RG: https://www.patek.com/en/collection/calatrava/5296R-010

WG:https://www.patek.com/en/collection/calatrava/5296G-010

And that's coming from Mr. Philippe himself! Font is a bit bolder, that's true, but the rest is spot on (and no accent in Genève)

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
Hmmm... Check this out:

RG: https://www.patek.com/en/collection/calatrava/5296R-010

WG:https://www.patek.com/en/collection/calatrava/5296G-010

And that's coming from Mr. Philippe himself! Font is a bit bolder, that's true, but the rest is spot on (and no accent in Genève)

Hi Hinclimincli, thanks so much for the links and for pointing that out!

Definitely, the rest of the watch is spot on and yes no accent in Genève. So nice and I would get it in a second.

However, to my eyes the date wheel is the weak part. Personally, I actually like the rep date better then the gen.

The rep date looks to me completely different with the font being bigger and thinner. Intime has a nice pic with double digits to compare it to, especially the number 8.

https://www.intime04.co/patek-phili...al-on-black-leather-strap-324cs-free-box.html

It's funny to me, because it looks more like a Nautilus date wheel which many of us wish so dearly upon.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

gabro

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/3/18
I actually noticed something and not sure if it's true. If you try to Google image this watch. You will see that the DW is similar to the rep and not as bold as the one on PP site. I know in fashion reps. Brands tend to list slightly different designs (flaws) on their sites to avoid getting it reped 1:1 this might be the case here. Or it's just my bad eye sight :)

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Computer generated. Sadly, most watch manufacturers have only these on their websites.

Actually, a quick search on Google images offers a lot of real pictures where the font is exactly as thin as the ZF one. Hats off to these fellas for this work!

Reactions: thumbsarehandy

gabro

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/3/18
Ah i see. if you check used watches and Instagram. DW font is very close to ZF. Anyways it looks great and I have just approved my QC and looking forward to receive it soon

Yinginbo

Horology Curious
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
19/11/13
Hello to all.... I am curious about the sapphire crystal. In the original watch the crystal is curved and there is a height between the bezel and the side of the crystal. Pease view the picture taken in PP store

Sent from the RWI App

gabro

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/3/18
Mine just arrived. Impressive. Router got bit of noise but not as bad as many miyota i had before
80eaa784b8f384a3a93c4df8a1373261.jpg
72ee8d027abb52f90f9855a7363e2ce7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

eta2893

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/3/19
Which miyota is that? Is there a way to silence the rotor?

gabro

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/3/18
I believe 9015 and yes it can be silenced. Spongebob has done it many times before for me. But this time i will go DIY because it's not worth it sending it to Taiwan just for this