• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Calatrava is out

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Lol that you think Jenni Elle is a watch expert

Ugh she is more expert than 99.99% of all people walking this earth... she regularly handles high end and luxury watches as part of her day job. Her partner, also is a watch enthusiast and thus luxury / high end-watches are somewhat common place.

She might not be an expert in the sense that she could construct one or repair one, but she is certainly highly knowledgeable, more so than 99.99% of people. Thus her opinion holds some weight.

Plus she's super cute. (I have a crush on her)

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Ugh she is more expert than 99.99% of all people walking this earth... she regularly handles high end and luxury watches as part of her day job. Her partner, also is a watch enthusiast and thus luxury / high end-watches are somewhat common place.

She might not be an expert in the sense that she could construct one or repair one, but she is certainly highly knowledgeable, more so than 99.99% of people. Thus her opinion holds some weight.

Plus she's super cute. (I have a crush on her)

So having pieces pass by through hand is what qualifies you to be an expert ?

Not knowing how the internals work or why certain functions matter (or don't matter) in your view somehow does NOT disqualify you as being an expert ? Am I getting that right ?

Lol sorry but by your logic a used car salesman who doesn't know the difference between a radiator from an intercooler would be more of an expert than a VW (or any brand) mechanic simply because the salesman has probably had more steering wheels go through his greasy hands.

You realize that the guys (and gals) who have been in the rep game on this forum for more than 10 years likely understand far more intimately about how the gen market works than most "experts" and influencers who have only started in this field in the past few years right ?

Many of us were actually around when the whole Swatch(ETA)/WEKA scandal began, a major turning point which is at least partially responsible for shops like Selitta/Seagull breaking into the ETA market.

Or how many of us are actually hobbyist "watchmakers" who service our own movements and can actually tell the difference between real improvements/advancements/innovation (co-ax escapement for example) from snake oil .

Or perhaps how many of us actually have as large a gen collection as our rep collection and the dirty underhanded stuff that's necessary to score an allocation for a hot piece from an AD/Boutique.

That's not to say EVERYONE on the forum is an expert, many (even the seasoned accounts) are a muppets who care more about stupid shit like getting thickness correct to 0.1mm (because everyone carries around calipers in their pockets) over glaringly obvious flaws like mismatched lume (which would be terrible regardless of whether the gen "had it")

The fact that people on this forum value getting a Rolex clone movement on a standard time+date model (Sub/Datejust) over the reliability and serviceability of an ETA clone absolutely ASTOUNDS me (this is far less true than it was when the clone 3135 movements first appeared, now I can easily order replacement parts for them but even then they go far in excess of what a similar quality ETA clone parts (or even OEM parts) would go for.

The fact that "accuracy to gen" is held above common sense (how the 2121 clone actually deleted the quickset date function from the Miyota base movement because the gen AP movement doesn't have it.... as if one look to the deco plate wouldn't instantly show it's a replica already)

The rep market has it's fair share of idiots but I'd argue that the gen dealers have far more sheeple drinking the koolaid. It's one thing to be able to be honest with yourself and say I'm paying 40k for a rolex simply for the brand name and signaling but actually claiming a gen Daytona is 39,500 USD more watch than a Noob is just bonkers.

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
The straps recommended are almost the same price or even higher than the price of the rep.

you could always go the custom vietnam route many Vietnamese leather makers do it for cheap around 60-70USD. decent quality and actual proper leather. But getting a camille fournet is basically almost getting a gen strap for a fraction of the price so imo if you plan on wearing this full time. It's worth it

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
The straps recommended are almost the same price or even higher than the price of the rep.

Of course they are. These reps are made under the circumstances they are. Straps by Camille Fournet are made by french artisans of the best materials, by people who are living in a prosperous society and dedicate their live to doing what they do.
If you value that low, then just keep the plastic strap provided by the rep maker and be happy with that.

Reactions: BIONONE

sknym

Horology Curious
17/1/13
I want a Camille Fornet band, but the only sizes available are 21mm/18mm or 20mm/16mm. 5296R is 21mm/16mm, right? I don't know what to do...

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I want a Camille Fornet band, but the only sizes available are 21mm/18mm or 20mm/16mm. 5296R is 21mm/16mm, right? I don't know what to do...

Yea it is 21/16. But you should be able to find it on their website. Otherwise you can order a custom made. It costs more though.

sknym

Horology Curious
17/1/13
Yea it is 21/16. But you should be able to find it on their website. Otherwise you can order a custom made. It costs more though.

It's not sold in the Camille Fornet online store in my country. I saw your post and checked the French website and they had it in stock. But it seems I can't import it to my country. I'll try to contact the Camille Fornet store in my country. Thanks!

Last edited:

ShoopyFrenchy

Looking Around
2/7/22
Hi all, I just ordered a 5296G today, All the praises I read in this thread decided me to pull the trigger. The watch is meant to be offered to my father for his 70th birthday. I hope I can ask for your help and expertise in case I have doubts on the QC pics. Thank you all for the great thread you built here!