• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Calatrava is out

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
Since the watch is not big, I guess the weight BTW SS and WG would not much different?

It is always different because gold is actually a heavy metal and its weight it's double the wieght of inox steel. Gold is so heavy that it was not generated on earth but in stars nucleums. Normally the gold used for jewerly is 18k this means that is not pure but mixed with other metals.

Normally a calatrava weight is around 70-90 grams, this means that in steel would probable be around 40-50 grams. I can assure you that if you ever handled a gold dress watch you will immediately feel that the watch is not made of gold and you can be called out easily. And also SS has a more "cold" grey tone compared to white gold which is slightly warmer and whiter. Usually if they are both mirror polished they are almost indistinguishable.

If PP produced a steel calatrava I would buy this immediately, at the moment I still believe that the best steel dress watch rep is the JLC ultra thin moon.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
It is always different because gold is actually a heavy metal and its weight it's double the wieght of inox steel. Gold is so heavy that it was not generated on earth but in stars nucleums. Normally the gold used for jewerly is 18k this means that is not pure but mixed with other metals.

Normally a calatrava weight is around 70-90 grams, this means that in steel would probable be around 40-50 grams. I can assure you that if you ever handled a gold dress watch you will immediately feel that the watch is not made of gold and you can be called out easily. And also SS has a more "cold" grey tone compared to white gold which is slightly warmer and whiter. Usually if they are both mirror polished they are almost indistinguishable.

If PP produced a steel calatrava I would buy this immediately, at the moment I still believe that the best steel dress watch rep is the JLC ultra thin moon.

They may consider using tungsten with two layers of gold wrapped above to mimic the appearance and weight of a gold calatrava. Stainless steel is not good as the weight difference is huge.

Reactions: timnic54 and vcappp

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Look like the Gen sample with ZF RG
7c9a98bcb83dac1e16a3771279bf8864.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where is this thread in HKRWF? I did not find it. Did you post it there?

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
No officier caseback? Probably it is correct... I am used to the 5227 that has one

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
They may consider using tungsten with two layers of gold wrapped above to mimic the appearance and weight of a gold calatrava. Stainless steel is not good as the weight difference is huge.

Tungsten is very hard to shape. It is not soft at all, like gold.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Chazingtime just posted it up. DW appears to have the left justified problem like the aquanaut. The dial looks great and I cannot wait to get mine.

lVFU8.jpg

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Tungsten is very hard to shape. It is not soft at all, like gold.

It is hard to shape because it has a very high melting point, which is about two times larger than that of gold. They can do this if they can ever find a tungsten manufacturer.

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
It is hard to shape because it has a very high melting point, which is about two times larger than that of gold. They can do this if they can ever find a tungsten manufacturer.

Its melting point is 3x the one of gold and 2x the one of titanium :(

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
By the way, did ZF fix the gem color on the case back? They were too red.

Os-92

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/11/18
Does anyone know when they would release the gold plated model of it ?

odonreps

21/9/18
Looks pretty good. That ivory is beautiful on the gen, hope it is as good on rep.

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
honestly you deserve huge praise for how much you contribute to the forum. thank you for always taking time to do reviews and give feedback. i for one definitely have benefited from them.

Here, here. I second this notion.

Reactions: Rina1988

odonreps

21/9/18
Definitely, your reviews help make me with my purchase decisions.

Richard Million

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
3/12/18
Looking forward to seeing wrist shots when someone receives one