• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Battle of the Aquanauts - ZF vs KMF vs GEN

AgentPena

Supporter
28/3/18
South East Asia
Its been a long while since I find any interesting reps that could fulfil my expectations, i'm done with AP, juggling with vintage Rolex frankens, looking forward to move on to gens and upgrading my rep APs to get my first rep PP. Nautilus on the other hand is tough watch to get in reality, resale is bezerk and even my wealthy friends couldnt get a piece of it, so i'm not touching it since all of them are gen owners. I'm looking for an understated but yet interesting watch to talk and not talk about, something that goes under the radar and I think the Aquanaut will fit my lifestyle perfectly.

Ive waited for years to get one that is good enough, after hearing ZF pursuing to create one of the best I was rather excited. Now it has been released, I must say its pretty damn good but however there is a new contender on the block that coincidently released at the same time which is from KMF.

Here below is a compilation of photos ive taken from PureTime, it's about 13MB, so it will take some time to load. Open in new tab to see full size

So far after observing both watches, here are my very own opinion (feel free to debate):-

Price: ZF $478 vs KMF $428 KMF. KMF is cheaper by $50, this spare cash can be invest in mods (anyone knows when Spongebob or Mikey is going to complete the PP's DW project?)

Bezel: KMF is better than ZF, ZF's bezel looks a fraction wider than GEN, KMF is closer on this part to GEN

Mid Case: ZF is better than KMF and closer to GEN, KMF is a fraction too thick

Overall Thickness: KMF is better than ZF, at 8.4mm vs 8.8mm. Yes even if its 0.4mm it makes a difference, and getting it as close to GEN by a fraction means a lot especially if you have a skinny wrist >7 inch) Apparently gen is 8.1mm not 8.5mm, see photos below. In this case ZF is about 0.7mm difference!

Dial: KMF finish is better than ZF, look at the grooves area

Dial Print: KMF is better than ZF, sharpness and finishing accurate like GEN

Date Wheel: ZF is better than KMF, even ZF DW is flawed around most double digits but the font height is spot on. KMF just looks like a rep DW which is a big call out.

Hands: Somehow I felt KMF is closer to GEN than ZF, but ZF's white second hand is closer to GEN than KMF - KMF white second hand has a middle brass finish, got to get someone to paint it white.

Movement: I'm not concern as it will never be like GEN, and I dont take my watch off my wrist. So i'll let you guys decide.

Crown: ZF is better than KMF, the PP emblem seems more refined and sharp like GEN, but KMF is a little weak on this finishing. However, this is a minor difference as it will be the last thing someone else will notice.

Clasp: KMF is better than ZF, the finishing is much more refined.

Overall I felt KMF is a better watch, it has its flaws - mid case thickness not close to gen, and DW is sketchy, but for value and other aspects I think this is the watch to go for over ZF. Maybe we can request our TD to get us ZF's DW, it might not be perfect but hey, we are only paying 0.025% of the GEN price for a watch that looks 95% accurate?

Feel free to discuss.

Aquanaut_ZF_vs_KMF_vs_GEN.jpg

Last edited:

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
i didnt know Mikey is doing a dw for this watch...

Last edited:

AgentPena

Supporter
28/3/18
South East Asia
I forgotten to state, that hour markers on ZF is far more superior compare to KMF. On KMF's comparison with GEN, the prototype dial hour markers are almost flawless. But after closer inspection on multiple TD's, I noticed that KMF's workmanship is not as refined compared with ZF, there are spills of glue stains clustering around the hour markers and also the hour lumes are not filled up as same height compared to GEN. The lume sits much more recessed.

For anyone who is OCD, will require to do some mod work and clean up existing glue stains if persist. :(

Reactions: ssouthall6

Caesar

Grand Poobah
16/1/17
Lady's Island, SC
Strictly from looking at the pictures, I'd probably go with the KMF. Hopefully get one that was lumed by a steady hand.

Beautiful watches though. Prof crystal install would look boss on that watch.

Can't really go wrong with either. Both look great.

Good luck

Fat Dave

1/6/13
Australia
Two upvotes for that - very helpful!

The KMF dial looks far better in these photos than it does in the TD pics I've seen so far, and that really helps. Texture and sunburst look good. The grooves are a bit fat, and the corners a bit rounded, but overall it's a pretty decent look. My biggest concern is the hour markers - it looks like they're poorly polished or something, but hopefully they're just dirty... I'm waiting more buyers to get some feedback, but this looks like a very solid contender apart from the datewheel.

Reactions: vcappp

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
I've ordered a ZF and a KMF (blue dial though) and will be comparing with my V6F

I'll be posting a similar thread.

thank you VERY much for posting this. Very interesting times. My issue with the KMF gray dial is that the gen has a bronze/grey/black finish depending on the light source and the sunburst is very very fine. The KMF dial has a wider sunburst and none of the pics I've seen indicate the same color gradient. Also the poorly finished numerals made me wary. The lume bubbles on the KMF look better than ZF, but that will be determined when I get it in person.

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Thank you for taking the time to put this together! I agree KMF seems the better option. And only 4.7% thicker than gen is starting to approach a negligible difference

Gumby90701

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/10/14
who is your TD? the date wheel looks a bit more centered that all the prototypes we have seen. but at the same time its also a bit thicker than it was advertised. hopefully his caliper is off

AgentPena

Supporter
28/3/18
South East Asia
Kmf numerals are badly finished, ZFs other flaw is 6 o'clock groove lines are drawn too low (beyond like gen) but has nicer numerals finishing.

looks like either way have to choose one

Reactions: ssouthall6

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Here's the thickness comparison between them. Blue is KMF.

KMF - 8.7mm
ZF - 9.1mm

JLirq.jpg

JdTKX.jpg

Just a follow up. As some suspected, Watchfinder's caliper is a bit off compared to mine and other TDs. I think the KMF really is 8.4.. and the ZF is 8.8mm.
InTimeWatchfinderMy CaliperTrustyTimePuretimeTSWatch
V6F Nautilus9.5mm10.0mm9.6mm9.5mm9.5mm11.0mm
BP 42mm 5168 Aquanaut9.5mm10.6mm 9.5mm 10.0mm
Noob v8 GMT Master LN12.1mm12.94mm12.4mm 12.1mm12.0mm
ZF JLC Moon10.0mm10.8mm10.5mm10.0mm10.0mm9.9mm
KMF Aquanaut8.4mm8.7mm 8.4mm8.4mm
ZF Aquanaut8.8mm9.1mm 8.8mm8.8mm8.6mm
ARF Datejust 3611.8mm12.1mm12.1mm12.0mm11.8mm12.0mm
Breguet 705712mm11.5mm 12.0mm12.0mm12.0mm
Noob v9 11661013mm13.3mm13.0mm13mm13mm13mm