• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

It’s here! AQUANAUT ZF

rayz20

Renowned Member
29/6/17
With time I've come to realise that those gen / rep comparisons are more or less pointless, unless we want to convince ourselves we're not burning hard earned cash pointlessly.

And yet, here's a quick one from me: so which one is which? Take a guess:

8bpdR.jpg

Do you have some Gen vs Rep dial comparisons?

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Do you have some Gen vs Rep dial comparisons?

I might actually have one somewehere. The zf dial is truly OK. There are clearly differences with the gen one (stronger sunburst effect, deeper grooves, flat numeral markers on the rep). But overall it’s a good offering, colour is spot on, printing is not bad, lume is not as bad as on other reps, and overall on the wrist it looks good. That’s what I think is important.

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
I have tried the gen on numerous times, this watch somehow just still doesn't glow on me. Can someone convince me otherwise?

Lobster2010

Supporter
Certified
4/9/10
I have tried the gen on numerous times, this watch somehow just still doesn't glow on me. Can someone convince me otherwise?
Its simply one of those love-at-first-sight moments. If you’ve tried the real thing and that didn’t click, you will never love this as it stands.

Having said that, i prefer the Aquanaut over the older brother simply because it lives slightly in its shadow. Size is great, dial is gorgeous, love the distinct date font, the case shape is cool - the only let down for a watch of this Cali really is the fact that you have to cut the rubber strap. Imagine you buy a gen strap and cut one layer too far accidentally. Some costly affair.

Reactions: SuperLory

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
Its simply one of those love-at-first-sight moments. If you’ve tried the real thing and that didn’t click, you will never love this as it stands.

Having said that, i prefer the Aquanaut over the older brother simply because it lives slightly in its shadow. Size is great, dial is gorgeous, love the distinct date font, the case shape is cool - the only let down for a watch of this Cali really is the fact that you have to cut the rubber strap. Imagine you buy a gen strap and cut one layer too far accidentally. Some costly affair.

I hear ya. But I also hear other people argue that you have to wear it overtime to love it because of the ever-changing dial color, you don't get the full experience in just one setting, one lighting.

I wish zf can make a 5164 of this quality, they have pretty much got everything down just make a faux chorno so its not a chunk of brick and I'd buy it in a heart beat...

Reactions: Lobster2010

Salisbury2454

Known Member
26/5/15
I was about to consider pulling trigger on it but I can’t help but clearly notice the problems in the movement in the back. Open caseback will never be excellent rep. So many issues in the movement. What is a Patek super rep?

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
I was about to consider pulling trigger on it but I can’t help but clearly notice the problems in the movement in the back. Open caseback will never be excellent rep. So many issues in the movement. What is a Patek super rep?

This is as good as it gets, on the wrist it looks 99% the same I can't see how anyone can call you out. Yes the gen is crispier, the bezel is more refined but you are paying 2% of gen.

I would not nip pick the differences on the decoration plate, if you are looking for an exact 1:1 to fool people you are choosing the wrong hobby.

Reactions: KSwatches

VealDonPeppe

Horology Curious
12/2/19
Anyone know of any solid 5164 reps? My friend had one and it was horrific. Pushers wouldnt move and had no function.