• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus date wheel project

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Keylog74 and BIONONE

I have a genuine cal 324 Patek Date disc that I got on eBay about 6 months ago. It was a VERY rare find and I have yet to install it. I would like to get a new date disc ready so that we can swap it directly into the new cal. 324 clone movements. The current 3K Factory date disc is very small and poorly printed.

If you would like, I can take a high resolution macro photo, take detailed measurements and ask someone on fiverr to make a CAD file?

We just need to find/make a date disc that has the right teeth for cal.324.

Reactions: Nivka

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Keylog74 and BIONONE

I have a genuine cal 324 Patek Date disc that I got on eBay about 6 months ago. It was a VERY rare find and I have yet to install it. I would like to get a new date disc ready so that we can swap it directly into the new cal. 324 clone movements. The current 3K Factory date disc is very small and poorly printed.

If you would like, I can take a high resolution macro photo, take detailed measurements and ask someone on fiverr to make a CAD file?

We just need to find/make a date disc that has the right teeth for cal.324.

As we already got the digital numbers a new CAD file wouldn't be really necessary - i know that i would have to change the direction of the numbers but that is no big deal if it is really required for this release.

Anyways the idea itself is gorgeous and i would love to see some pictures of the gen font in a high res scan.

the outer diameter of the date disc is also of interest.

Looking forward to this release, a detailed pictorial and of course your input as you got one of those DW gems in hand ;)

Thank you for your effort.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Using a flatbed scanner would give you the best result in resolution and will eliminate any parallax error from using a camera

I don't disagree with you but my scanner at home is complete garbage and I have a great camera, lens, and measure the tripod distance so that I eliminate as much parallax as possible. I think the result will still turn out very good utilizing the method below.

Here is the result of doing some work on a 5402 date disc with a friend:

Pic (this is a massive photo if you zoom in):
Uf58k.jpg

Cad file generated:
UfiYP.jpg

UfazJ.jpg

Measurement:
UfIiQ.jpg

UfoVS.jpg

UfmwW.jpg

UfU7o.jpg

We have sent these off to Steve and he's going to make a date disc overlay.

Reactions: Glaude

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
As we already got the digital numbers a new CAD file wouldn't be really necessary - i know that i would have to change the direction of the numbers but that is no big deal if it is really required for this release.

Anyways the idea itself is gorgeous and i would love to see some pictures of the gen font in a high res scan.

the outer diameter of the date disc is also of interest.

Looking forward to this release, a detailed pictorial and of course your input as you got one of those DW gems in hand ;)

Thank you for your effort.

Alright I'll see if I can take some pics tomorrow, both a high res image, and some measurements. Again, the offer is there if you'd like me to ask someone to generate the cad file, it's very inexpensive there as I found out (like $10 total), and will be exactly as precise as we want and need.

I think the issue will be creating date discs with proper teeth.

Fingers crossed ZF will just get the font correct and we won't need these modifications done!!!

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I don't disagree with you but my scanner at home is complete garbage

You have all the right to disagree with me :)

I never objected to any disagreement as long as it's well written and respectful, which your post totaly is and is even an example !

Excellent result indeed, this is splitting here at this point to try to get even better starting pics, as long as the CAD file is okay

Did someone already had the PP clone movement datewheel in hand ?

Reactions: majwilliams0308

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
It is reassuring to know that advance planning is already in place for the upcoming rep SC 324 movement's date wheel(s).

otabaru

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/3/18
As for now there is no second run of this project. You can order a pf but to center it you need a skilled modder.

So, there will be no other ppf dw from this project to a Myota based movement, forever??? :bye:

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
So, I've taken the pics. Let me know if you need any other measurements.

Date Disc:
Ug9bF.jpg

Measurements:
UgYDb.jpg

UgIsi.jpg

Ugq9X.jpg

UgoKc.jpg

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
majwilliams0308 thank you for the super crisp picture! Really convincing!

No need for a scan with this kind of result. I will look into the digital file that i already made.

i will refine the numbers if needed and realign them accordingly to 324 SC clone specs.

Another interesting thing will be to know what the rep dial specs are. As we all know our chinese friends they often mix up things to create a short cut in production or finish... and that ends up in sloppy tolerances.

if the rep dial itself isn‘t gen spec (like the PF dial which i already got the measurements of) then the gen DW is only useful for a super franken project with a gen dial (IF the 324 clone accepts the gen DW in the first place of course).

anyway thank you again for chiming in - making this issue less of an issue once we are abled to determine the factors playing a role in this new project!

Reactions: Glaude

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
majwilliams0308 excellent info. thanks for uploading.
your inside diameter does not match with the white area you measure. 25.95 - 3.5 - 3.5 = 18.95, and your caliper shows 19.29

The most important number is the outside diameter 25.95mm. that number needs to be checked and re-checked.

cookie3

Horology Curious
22/10/19
I have successfully received PPFDW. Thank you.
What do you guys use to paste the DW?
Is it double-sided tape or adhesive?
Please tell me if there is a recommended method.
Thank you.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

sam_7

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/10/19

Finally my mod is done, pf base with gen dial, ppf hands and pf keylog/spongbob dwo - the dwo fits perfect

for those who want to know:
on the last picture you can see the watch next to a ppf dial, which is very very close to genuine - imo the dots are a little bit smaller on ppf, but i haven‘t seen it side by side (dial next to dial)

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
Hi all I recently got the BP 3800 mid size 37/38mm Nautilus and I wonder of it can take any of the datewheels from what is available? Or can i fit a gen eta datewheel on my A2824 movement?
0d356bb0bd254d7ece470d7212c7d206.jpg

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

09d2e126bd3e158b7a34a42130990756.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperLory

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
Is this thread still alive or it has culminated with the last ultimate franken build?

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
None of the overlays will fit your movement and dial, sorry. Also, the 3800 has a different font style.
A bit sad, can you advise me if there are other datewheels I can transplant to my 3800, the ones that have a bolder font? I really can't unsee this flaw, otherwise I will just wear my 3800 till death lol