• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus date wheel project

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
Never rely on someone you met on the internet, especially don’t spend money on something someone promised you on the internet.

I don't think you have an idea about what you are talking about. This was not a kickstarter campaign ffs. We did didn't promise we didn't scam we did not run with anyone money.

We devoted time and knowledge at our expense collaborated with talented guy who could run and print everything, provided you with an easy way how to buy from him and now you complain?

WTF is wrong with you people?

I would love to see some contribution from this pretentious members for once. it's sad for me to read such low complaints and comments instead of some support and gratitude.

PS: Start a change.org campaign and address your issue to mkf himself since he's the problem in the first place.

Last edited:

stanevo6

computer says no
29/5/17
The Low Lands
I love the work Keylog74 and his friends did in this project. OK, perhaps no succes with the MK, but if there were no innitiatives like this, we would never ever had an answer.

And Jack, so you say I should not trust my 18 years old girlfriend from Ghana, I met her on the Internet, who I send money every month so she can save up for the trip to me? she says she loves me!! :wacko:

Reactions: Tompa

Jack Hobbes

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/9/19
And Jack, so you say I should not trust my 18 years old girlfriend from Ghana, I met her on the Internet, who I send money every month so she can save up for the trip to me? she says she loves me!! :wacko:

Lmao!!!
I have nothing but absolute respect for keylog.
But about the 3-d printing. I have 3-d printed incredibly accurate and precise pieces before. It all depends on how well you can design the DWO on the software. Technology in these printers have greatly increased in accuracy. I can promise anyone that spends the time it takes to design it well, will not be disappointed. It really is that easy.
However, if you design it just a mm off then you will have wasted the materials. For anyone who is seriously interested I would suggest giving the good people in this thread a little vacation and try it yourself. You will most likely be surprised at the results and then have the feeling of accomplishment that you did it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stanevo6

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
But about the 3-d printing. I have 3-d printed incredibly accurate and precise pieces before. It all depends on how well you can design the DWO on the software. Technology in these printers have greatly increased in accuracy. I can promise anyone that spends the time it takes to design it well, will not be disappointed. It really is that easy.
However, if you design it just a mm off then you will have wasted the materials. For anyone who is seriously interested I would suggest giving the good people in this thread a little vacation and try it yourself. You will most likely be surprised at the results and then have the feeling of accomplishment that you did it yourself.

I also have a 3d printer and even with the best SLA printer, you'll not get the accuracy needed to produce a DWO, not to mention that a 3D printer print in 3d and while there's some depth to a DWO print, it's only paint, so the 3d printer here is the wrong technology to use, no matter how accurate the model is.

To produce their DWO they used vector files, which are exact measurements and files.

Look up a video on how pad printing works, you'll see why 3d printer, as good as they are nowadays, is just not the tool for the job :)

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
When I first saw the picture (provided by slaughterer62, see link) of a Kelog date wheel temporarily fitted in a MKF case, I kinda figured problems would occur and they did. The date fonts were very right justified in the date window which meant the fonts would have to be moved to the left or inwards on the date wheel. This would result in the date fonts too close to each other so when viewed in the date window, parts of the next or previous dates could be seen. Making the fonts smaller would've fixed it but then it wouldn't be like gen.

So the MKF date wheel was doomed from the start because of the incorrectly placed date window on the dial. BIONONE , did I surmise this correctly? If not,please let me know where I messed up. Thanks.

Last edited:

BIONONE

28/4/17
When I first saw the picture (provided by slaughterer62) of a Kelog date wheel temporarily fitted in an MKF case, I kinda figured problems would occur and they did. The date fonts were very right justified in the date window which meant the fonts would have to be moved to the left or inwards on the date wheel. This would result in the date fonts too close to each other so when viewed in the date window, parts of the next or previous dates could be seen. Making the fonts smaller would've fixed but then it wouldn't be like gen.

So the MKF date wheel was doomed from the start because of the incorrectly placed date window on the dial. BIONONE , did I surmise this correctly? If not,please let me know where I messed up Thanks.

You explained it perfectly and i said it a few times before.

And in the end - even if the file will is extremely well scaled and every number aligned (which was the case on the digital file) even then the chinese tolerances on their movements or dials will then result in other inaccuracies as far as i‘m concerned.

One thing that was the best in your post is - if we compromise with the specs the outcome wouldn‘t be up to our standards.
But if there is one guy who would slap an inaccurate font into his 1500$ build (what i highly doubt) then so be it.

Reactions: Keylog74

Jack Hobbes

9/9/19
With the Pro2 Plus 3D printer by Raise3D you can print something as thin at 10 microns(a micron is a millionth of a meter). While the smoothness of the numbers on the paper may not be as smooth as pressing it, you can micro-sand and polish the piece.l, which would in the end produce a better quality than the Chinese one for the rep movement. I use 3-d printers on a daily basis in the curriculum for my students.
Unfortunately not all universities have this advanced of a printer. While not being the best or the easiest way it will produce a quality DWO that most people won’t be able to tell the difference. Just food for thought????????

BIONONE

28/4/17
With the Pro2 Plus 3D printer by Raise3D you can print something as thin at 10 microns(a micron is a millionth of a meter). While the smoothness of the numbers on the paper may not be as smooth as pressing it, you can micro-sand and polish the piece.l, which would in the end produce a better quality than the Chinese one for the rep movement. I use 3-d printers on a daily basis in the curriculum for my students.
Unfortunately not all universities have this advanced of a printer. While not being the best or the easiest way it will produce a quality DWO that most people won’t be able to tell the difference. Just food for thought????????

NASA also uses multicolored resin printers for ultra fine parts of prototypes - very impressive and of course maybe a solution for single production pieces in about 5-10 years once those printers become available for home use.

while i like the idea of a futuristic approach to find a solution for a task that is solved the same way for the past 80 years (and longer) - i have to say that it will be a much harder part for the complaining individuals to produce a 3D .stl file with a matching vector date font ("MKF GEN LIKE") on top of it as each of them require competences that would never lead to complains like this in the first place haha

Jack Hobbes

9/9/19
NASA also uses multicolored resin printers for ultra fine parts of prototypes - very impressive and of course maybe a solution for single production pieces in about 5-10 years once those printers become available for home use.

while i like the idea of a futuristic approach to find a solution for a task that is solved the same way for the past 80 years (and longer) - i have to say that it will be a much harder part for the complaining individuals to produce a 3D .stl file with a matching vector date font ("MKF GEN LIKE") on top of it as each of them require competences that would never lead to complains like this in the first place haha

Yes, that is one of the downsides. I’m going to look into a try design something that is close. I will let you know when and if I can do it. Have a good one????????

P.S.
does anyone have a problem with stainless steel watches being scratch magnets. I’ve had my 5711 rep for about 3 weeks now and am starting to notice scratches on the bracelet and parts of the case where I put it down. Thought it would take a bit more;). But regardless I love wearing my rep!!

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
P.S.
does anyone have a problem with stainless steel watches being scratch magnets. I’ve had my 5711 rep for about 3 weeks now and am starting to notice scratches on the bracelet and parts of the case where I put it down. Thought it would take a bit more;). But regardless I love wearing my rep!!

The JF AP 15400 is notorious for that and probably a lot of other reps as well.

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
^ not just reps. The gen 5711 and 15400 and scratch magnets with all those polished surfaces

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
Not trying to steal the thread with this, but I thought it is interesting how gens react to scratches lol

9c9722cf5be59604aa0d379a9331ca5f.jpg

Capture.jpg

People, enjoy your watches.. the people who shared those pics are proud to show how much they enjoyed the nautilus, and that they would never polish them..

Last edited:
Reactions: FourthLetter

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
I don't think you have an idea about what you are talking about. This was not a kickstarter campaign ffs. We did didn't promise we didn't scam we did not run with anyone money.

i don't think Jack Hobbes was having a dig at you Keylog74 . He was directing a comment to Ultra929 that he shouldn't trust everyone on the internet ;)
member projects that produce some positive results impact the pricing for gen parts, so i'm not surprised those on the sideline will pull the trigger anticipating a end result but it doesn't mean you can have a free dig like you're owed a bone.

the problem is MKF date window has a left shift so the font SIZE used on the PF dwo can not be re-arranged without overlapping. it's not fair on spongebob to keep paying for print plates to test every amendment

at this point i would suggest BIONONE amend the font size to fit the MKF window, then those that have the MKF dial can print the design on a laser printer and hold their dials over the numbers to check the sizing. if it looks to small then you're out of luck

Reactions: Keylog74

daft772

28/5/19

I’ve installed both the PF and PPF datewheels, and they’re great. Thank you Keylog74 and Spongebob for your contribution to this community.

I can imagine how much effort went into making the alignment fit perfectly. If there’s not as much demand for the MKF, it’s not worth the investment to make one.

Reactions: Tcc13c

Jack Hobbes

9/9/19
Wow indeed!! This is incredible work, I have only completed the measurements for the spacing between the numbers, hah. I think I’ll just give up on the 3D printing DWO. Again, my upmost respect to keylog and bionone and anyone else involved!!!