• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus date wheel project

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
You'll have to take some measurements, which may involve removing the crystal, to see if any of the date wheels will fit. Contact BIONONE or Keylog74 for details on this.

I have to say that personally I'm not really keen on developing another custom DWO for such a release as it is not worth the effort IMO - demand is too small and the outcome will be a good DW font on a flawed watch... Whereas a PF/PPF hybrid is pretty much perfect for what it is and for what it can become as the finish is somewhat different than the watch pictured above. Dont get me wrong :)

Otherwise - the whole dial has to be dismounted to measure the diameter of the hole for the hands to get the correct distance of the DW cut out... it has to be done with so much precision without damaging it that i guess it won't be worth it to send it to a modded and get it back. But it comes down to personal preference and standards.

Me personally would buy another watch in the first place so i can't really judge this whole idea :)

Jack Hobbes

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/9/19
Why is the GRF so flawed? Other than the date wheel it is scary close to my gen 5711.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIONONE

28/4/17
Why is the GRF so flawed? Other than the date wheel it is scary close to my gen 5711.

finish is from another planet - even looking at pictures of the GRF. Dont get me wrong - dont want to talk down on your rep but there are definitely better alternatives - of course - for other prices so you made a good deal ;)

Jack Hobbes

9/9/19
211bdef33bfd2016140f4c06220f282b.jpg

This is my gen Patek. Bought it used in 2011 for about 35.

c99e7868b909fe60c4364d42476dc118.jpg

This is the rep.

Other than the font being off, I personally think the finish is very good.
Another reason why I like reps is because I don’t have to worry about smashing a gen against something at the office.

Jack Hobbes

9/9/19
However I do see now that the smooth finishing on the gen is a little larger than on the rep. Huh

BIONONE

28/4/17
However I do see now that the smooth finishing on the gen is a little larger than on the rep. Huh

It was always like that - gen owners were never as nit picking as rep enthusiasts. And that has something to do with expectations which were far aways from reality as the reps are awesome for the money they cost. Often our sight gets blinded by the differences of different reps from different makers. So to say if someone can do it better another one has to be "far worse"... Even if the watch is still somehow a good watch that appeals to you.

This is the most important thing - that you wear it as it is without expecting it to be close to the gen as the gen will always be a gen.

By the way - i think Keylog meant a side by side shots under the same lighting conditions - this will be the only way to judge how "good" the rep is compared to the gen.

Jack Hobbes

9/9/19
Well said Bionone. It makes sense as this was just a bet for myself. I will try to remember to get a side by side pick when I get home. Thanks for all of your help!

Jack Hobbes

9/9/19
Lads I actually believe it is not a GRF. I believe it is a PF. Solely for the reason the class on the back says “steel Inox”. The GRF says stainless steel. The Pf says the steel inox. Maybe I got a PF with an updated Miyota? Thoughts?
93786ba9302a371bbb93e167b47d5d54.jpg

BIONONE

28/4/17
The miyota is not from PF and definitely not an updated movement. PF, PPF, MKF use a custom balance cock while yours is using a decorative bridge on top of the base miyota balance bridge.

I think it is an older JJF or like already mentioned a BP.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
The wider flat area of the bezel is not from PF. Early BPs also had this wider bezel however availability is unknown. Factories sometimes change sources for their bracelets, perhaps GRF changed theirs. Can you measure the thickness of your rep 5711, it may help in narrowing down it's identity.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
It’s 9mm on the dot.

I'm somewhat stumped on this one. Wide bezels are BP, PPF and recently GR flaws, but the protruding crown is absent so that excludes the PPF. BP thickness varies from 9.5mm (v1) to 10mm (v2 and v3), but thickness can vary from one batch to the next.

There is one rep 5711, also on puretime's website, that has no factory mentioned in it's description (only best edtion) but it does have "STEEL INOX" engraved on the clasp. $348.00 for this one.

Puzzling to say the least.

Jack Hobbes

9/9/19
I’m quite confused as well. I looked at the one on pure Times website and see the steel inox. But the movement rotor bearing in the center looks way out of place and too small for the hole. Mine is perfectly fitted. Honestly have no idea at this point? Lol

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
I'm somewhat stumped on this one. Wide bezels are BP, PPF and recently GR flaws, but the protruding crown is absent so that excludes the PPF. BP thickness varies from 9.5mm (v1) to 10mm (v2 and v3), but thickness can vary from one batch to the next.

There is one rep 5711, also on puretime's website, that has no factory mentioned in it's description (only best edtion) but it does have "STEEL INOX" engraved on the clasp. $348.00 for this one.

Puzzling to say the least.

My BP v1 was 8.9mm, but the v1 didn’t have deco plates

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
Can we get an update on MKF DWO? Is is something that’s going to happen? Thank you.

Keylog74

14/6/13
Can we get an update on MKF DWO?

Most likely won't happen sorry. It's not a definitive answer but still that date window is very wrong. This makes a correct font almost impossible...

Last edited:

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
As there were problems during the production of the MKF custom DWO i cannot assure you that there will be the possibility of modding your watch to your preferred standards.
Words from BIONONE doesn't inspire much hope either. I'll wait for a definitive answer before counting this project as a loss.