• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus date wheel project

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Just install the datewheel, 10/10 (I have overlay on top of the overlay lol)
but still can’t install the second hand onto the watch haha (better get a modded if you have never work on watches before, as you can easily bend the second hand or the pinions)
712-CCBB4-7-BD1-4804-894-C-A0-A12-B8-A05-C1.jpg

Did you relume your hands mate? Don’t look as green than standard PF

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Just install the datewheel, 10/10 (I have overlay on top of the overlay lol)
but still can’t install the second hand onto the watch haha (better get a modded if you have never work on watches before, as you can easily bend the second hand or the pinions)
712-CCBB4-7-BD1-4804-894-C-A0-A12-B8-A05-C1.jpg

Man do you like it? What in your mind is currently the best PP rep out there? this PF nautilus/ MKS nautilus, or the ZF/KMF aquanaut? Thanks! I wanted to hear your opinion.

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
Man do you like it? What in your mind is currently the best PP rep out there? this PF nautilus/ MKS nautilus, or the ZF/KMF aquanaut? Thanks! I wanted to hear your opinion.

I have only seen the gen aquanaut once and have never hold onto an aquanaut rep, so I don’t want to comment any further on that, but after reading some posts on the forum, I’d say ZF aquanaut is the best if you don’t want to mod, KMF aquanaut is great if you have the experience and knowledge to mod the datewheel.

So for nautilus:

Datewheel mod is a must, and I totally love the new datewheel. People may be thinking a datewheel on a 40mm watch is not too noticeable, I used to think that way, but after putting on the new datewheel, it looks so much better and it gives the watch a more authentic feel.

Not sure whether anyone has mentioned it, but the problem for pf/mkf nautilus (blue dial) is the dial colour itself, while misaligned dial marker is not a big deal to me since they are quite small for anyone to notice. I’ve hold multiple gen 5711 and 5712 on hands before, i’d say the dial colour is quite off. Even though 5711 has different types of blue colour, the way of how it shines are extremely different between gen and rep in a good lighting condition, that’s why it’s best to wear your watch in a dim/dark environment to avoid too much lighting (it looks decent without direct lighting).

Mks dial’s colour is a bit better since the dial is a bit dimmer than pf, pf produces a huge range of vibrancy of blue colours (which differs from gen), the problem is you can’t replace a datewheel for this model (just yet haha). I’d recommend getting a white dial, but it also introduces other flaws like for PF, the black paint on the minute marker are too thick, lume is pretty bad, and for MKF, the shape of the date wheel window is different from gen.

Besides, the placement of the minute marker on the dial of the PF is slightly different than gen, don’t want to dive into too much detail as it’s something that people won’t notice in real life.

The flexiblity of the bracelet between mkf and pf is another important factor to consider, if your wrist is small, better go for pf, as it wraps around your wrist nicely. MKF has improved the bracelet but it is no where close to PF in terms of comfort and curvatures.

As some members on the forum have mentioned the datewheel looks decent on MKF, I agree with that, the date from 1-19 looks ok, just ok, 20-31 are unacceptable. If you don’t want to do the datewheel mod, MKF datewheel is the best. PF datewheel has the correct font but incorrect height and thickness, which is a letdown, but one good thing is you can mod the datewheel.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
I have only seen the gen aquanaut once and have never hold onto an aquanaut rep, so I don’t want to comment any further on that, but after reading some posts on the forum, I’d say ZF aquanaut is the best if you don’t want to mod, KMF aquanaut is great if you have the experience and knowledge to mod the datewheel.

So for nautilus:

Datewheel mod is a must, and I totally love the new datewheel. People may be thinking a datewheel on a 40mm watch is not too noticeable, I used to think that way, but after putting on the new datewheel, it looks so much better and it gives the watch a more authentic feel.

Not sure whether anyone has mentioned it, but the problem for pf/mkf nautilus (blue dial) is the dial colour itself, while misaligned dial marker is not a big deal to me since they are quite small for anyone to notice. I’ve hold multiple gen 5711 and 5712 on hands before, i’d say the dial colour is quite off. Even though 5711 has different types of blue colour, the way of how it shines are extremely different between gen and rep in a good lighting condition, that’s why it’s best to wear your watch in a dim/dark environment to avoid too much lighting (it looks decent without direct lighting).

Mks dial’s colour is a bit better since the dial is a bit dimmer than pf, pf produces a huge range of vibrancy of blue colours (which differs from gen), the problem is you can’t replace a datewheel for this model (just yet haha). I’d recommend getting a white dial, but it also introduces other flaws like for PF, the black paint on the minute marker are too thick, lume is pretty bad, and for MKF, the shape of the date wheel window is different from gen.

Besides, the placement of the minute marker on the dial of the PF is slightly different than gen, don’t want to dive into too much detail as it’s something that people won’t notice in real life.

The flexiblity of the bracelet between mkf and pf is another important factor to consider, if your wrist is small, better go for pf, as it wraps around your wrist nicely. MKF has improved the bracelet but it is no where close to PF in terms of comfort and curvatures.

As some members on the forum have mentioned the datewheel looks decent on MKF, I agree with that, the date from 1-19 looks ok, just ok, 20-31 are unacceptable. If you don’t want to do the datewheel mod, MKF datewheel is the best. PF datewheel has the correct font but incorrect height and thickness, which is a letdown, but one good thing is you can mod the datewheel.

Thanks a lot again for your elaboration! What do you think about the movements of PF/ MKF/ ZF? I understand none of them are close to gen, but which on in your opinion has the best finishing/ closest to gen movement look?

Reactions: Darude

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Thanks a lot again for your elaboration! What do you think about the movements of PF/ MKF/ ZF? I understand none of them are close to gen, but which on in your opinion has the best finishing/ closest to gen movement look?

Is it hard to find a picture of the gen movement and then compare yourself? It's quite clearly ZF that is closest, but without knowing the gen movement, nobody is going to know anyways.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Is it hard to find a picture of the gen movement and then compare yourself? It's quite clearly ZF that is closest, but without knowing the gen movement, nobody is going to know anyways.

and with knowing the gen - every named factory will fail hehe

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Oh apparently, there are two stickers sticking inside the dial, I’ve used two paper to stick into the dial and push the dial out

Which tool did you use the take off the hands?

Keylog74

14/6/13
Which tool did you use the take off the hands?

if you dont know how to remove hands i strongly suggest to use a modder for the job. dial is a scratch magnet...

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
if you dont know how to remove hands i strongly suggest to use a modder for the job. dial is a scratch magnet...

I was just wondering if he used a presto or hand levers, since he damaged his seconds hand

Topcatz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/12/17
Canada
Me too. I sent mine to get it installed and doing some work and it is still in Taiwan.

Eagerly awaiting for my watch.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
Makes me wish that was my dial :D

Haha thanks mate. Still a journey, we'll see how it is mounted on the miyota movement--but it's looking promising! Will keep everyone posted along the way.

Reactions: vcappp

Tobel

6/7/17
lt8aD.jpg

If anyone was wondering gen dial clearance.

Wow mate, this is awesome, congrats on the acquisition!! Would you have a moment to show how the black markers reflect various conditions of lighting? On the reps - particularly on the MKF - they look a bit greyish when reflecting the light and I was wondering how the gen behaves. Thanks!

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
Wow mate, this is awesome, congrats on the acquisition!! Would you have a moment to show how the black markers reflect various conditions of lighting? On the reps - particularly on the MKF - they look a bit greyish when reflecting the light and I was wondering how the gen behaves. Thanks!

Black in every angle mate, not sure where the gray you're referring to is coming from, probably from how JF Anodizes their markers.

Reactions: vcappp