• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus date wheel project

Samgobigs

11/2/20
Thanks for those taking the initiative to do this.

Just a thought, but why not connect with the factories making the watches and see if they could partner up and create better DW from the start? That way the watches coming out of the factories produce much better DW going out the door.

Anyways, reading this whole post was bittersweet. Saw those amazing photos of sexy DW’s, read through hundred of posts, imagined this on my (soon to arrive) PPF V3, only to find out there’s no second run and that the PPF DW is out of stock.

If there’s any feedback / suggestions I could offer, it would be a video tutorial of some sort regarding the installation. I’m a visual learner myself.

Anyways cheers and thanks for making this. Hope someday the PPF DW would come back, and will come back to this discussion now and then..... who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Just a thought, but why not connect with the factories making the watches and see if they could partner up and create better DW from the start? That way the watches coming out of the factories produce much better DW going out the door.

You are new here, but you'll see how all this work in some time.
Factories are hard to contact (for obvious reason) and they have their own priorities and reason for operating how they do. It mostly rely on "they don't really care" if it's good enough to their eyes, it's good enough all in all

If you checked the whole topic (all the pages) you'll see that just to create a few datewheel, it's a tedious and long process, with a lot of trial & error : that cost time & money, factories don't care enough to invest those two in just details that most of their buyers won't even notice

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hope someday the PPF DW would come back, and will come back to this discussion now and then..... who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PF DW works for the PPF according to some members. There are pictures verifying this, you'll just have to look for them. All the best.

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14
I would love to see a new 3KF DWO added to the available options. It should just be a matter of reversing the number order. I'm guessing the PF would come closest to the appropriate size. BIONONE Spongebob Keylog74

BIONONE

28/4/17
I would love to see a new 3KF DWO added to the available options. It should just be a matter of reversing the number order. I'm guessing the PF would come closest to the appropriate size. BIONONE Spongebob Keylog74
[/url]

I agree that the 3KF section would benefit from this addition. To flip the number direction is the least of difficulties. The main focus lays on the teeth and the production of the DW as a whole. To cut brass rings, paint them and print the numbers on top is one thing - but to rep the correct teeth profile that fits the mechanism with very low tolerances is another story as you can imagine.

Regarding the specs - Spongebob tried a gen DW + 5167 3KF dial and the number was clearly left justified so the PF measurements won't be the first choice as it was the most accurate DWO combined with a gen Dial.

But then again - the specs are the smallest issue in such project - and as for now i didn't speak with Keylog or Steve about the possibilities - let alone the true demand now as there are so many other ootb alternatives available (which are of course no clone movements but many are afraid of it in a way)...

hope that helps :)

Reactions: theREALgoat

theREALgoat

Patron
Certified
14/8/14
I agree that the 3KF section would benefit from this addition. To flip the number direction is the least of difficulties. The main focus lays on the teeth and the production of the DW as a whole. To cut brass rings, paint them and print the numbers on top is one thing - but to rep the correct teeth profile that fits the mechanism with very low tolerances is another story as you can imagine.

Regarding the specs - Spongebob tried a gen DW + 5167 3KF dial and the number was clearly left justified so the PF measurements won't be the first choice as it was the most accurate DWO combined with a gen Dial.

But then again - the specs are the smallest issue in such project - and as for now i didn't speak with Keylog or Steve about the possibilities - let alone the true demand now as there are so many other ootb alternatives available (which are of course no clone movements but many are afraid of it in a way)...

Thanks for the quick reply. That's why I was thinking on overlay would be easier/quicker to produce. Do you think 3KF's date window cut out is too far to the right?

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16

Wow interesting. Sounds like it would have to be gen dw + dial for it to work properly. Is there enough clearance for a 0.17mm overlay, like you previously had?

BIONONE

28/4/17
That is something only Spongebob himself is abled to answer as i dont have the mentioned parts in hand to measure and also lack the watch making skills lol

in conclusion you can say that the 3KF date window is indeed a little too far to the right. As for now I am not entirely sure which rep dial matches the 3KF specs the best.

What baffles me the most is that almost every maker seems to have his own specs for dials and DWs and not even the clone makers got the gen spec entirely correct haha

Shows us one more time what a painstaking game this is ;)

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
Same with the 5167. Gen date disc, slightly left justified. Dial feet are off on mine slightly, you can see from hand pinions against the dial:

​​​​​​​

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Are the PF DWO still for sale? I placed an order a while ago and haven't heard back, unless they would ship it without getting me a tracking or message

goldenio

Looking Around
12/10/12
Hi everybody,
Thanks for this job.
Im New on rep community,

Do you think, ppf dial Available soon ?

Thanks