• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Nautilus 5740

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Hey guys,

have a look at this:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...ar-introducing

I'm thinking this would be easily replicated using the Miyota 9015: of course the moonphase would instead be an AM/PM indicator and in the two subdials the smaller hands would be non-working but the dial layout in terms of complications is exactly the same.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: it's actually an AM/PM indicator on the gen, therefore it could really work out well with the 9015

Cristobal

Renowned Member
10/6/15
I posted a picture of it on a different thread but I’ll post it here too!
EC9912F4-59A6-49CB-AC95-B0657C14C6EDa09baef3a4d9c48f.jpg

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
I love Patek dearly, but this is a miss for me. The Nautilus is essentially a sports model (albeit a versatile one) and a perpetual calendar is a quintessentially dressy complication. I’m just not sure the two make sense together, just my opinion!

The Aquanaut Chronograph though, now that’s a watch that’s taken far too long to bring out, absolutely brilliant and will sell like hot cakes!

DC

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Nonono, nooo! I love the simplicity and sober elegance of the Nautilus. This goes in the complete opposite way, it ruins the dial fof me...

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
The dial is too busy for me.

The aquanaut chrono looks yuck with that orange too (and no running seconds is annoying)

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
The movement from the 5164 in a nautilus case is what they should make

Cristobal

Renowned Member
10/6/15
I like simplicity too but you got change it up every once in a while. You can’t keep a Nautilus with the same look every year. I really hope they rep this model.

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
I love Patek dearly, but this is a miss for me. The Nautilus is essentially a sports model (albeit a versatile one) and a perpetual calendar is a quintessentially dressy complication. I’m just not sure the two make sense together, just my opinion!

The Aquanaut Chronograph though, now that’s a watch that’s taken far too long to bring out, absolutely brilliant and will sell like hot cakes!

DC

Agree with everything you said... that's my impression as well.. but one thing I loved about this new Nautilus. The deployant buckle. Great job really..

Patek_Philippe_Nautilus_Perpetual_Calendar_ref.jpg

Reactions: The Rod

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Agree with everything you said... that's my impression as well.. but one thing I loved about this new Nautilus. The deployant buckle. Great job really..

Patek_Philippe_Nautilus_Perpetual_Calendar_ref.jpg

They’ve used the Aquanaut deployant system on the Nautilus bracelet, I agree it looks really nice and clean. The flip over clasp on the Nautilus was always something people took issue with, often saying it felt cheap and flimsy. You wouldn’t want a flimsy clasp on a perpetual calendar watch now would you?

DC

Reactions: Godfathar

Cristobal

Renowned Member
10/6/15
Yea technically, it’s a non-traditional Nautilus watch, and I like it that way. I guess for some it’s hard to get excited about it. Patek combined some great stuff for this release, the Nautilus, Perpetual Calendar and the Caliber 240 Q. Evolving the Nautilus and it’s design, for the ones that don’t like it..Don’t forget there’s still the other models. IMO Patek nailed it!! Just hope the factories will rep this..it shouldn’t be too hard.

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Yea technically, it’s a non-traditional Nautilus watch, and I like it that way. I guess for some it’s hard to get excited about it. Patek combined some great stuff for this release, the Nautilus, Perpetual Calendar and the Caliber 240 Q. Evolving the Nautilus and it’s design, for the ones that don’t like it..Don’t forget there’s still the other models. IMO Patek nailed it!! Just hope the factories will rep this..it shouldn’t be too hard.

You’re kidding right? It’s an ultra thin complicated watch, it literally couldn’t be harder!

There’s virtually no chance this will be repped and if it is it will be about 15mm thick for sure!

DC

Cristobal

Renowned Member
10/6/15
You’re kidding right? It’s an ultra thin complicated watch, it literally couldn’t be harder!

There’s virtually no chance this will be repped and if it is it will be about 15mm thick for sure!

DC

No I’m not kidding, It can be repped..they can put a miyota movement in there and the moonphase would be an am/pm indicator just like Rod said. obviously without all the complications the same way they repped the 5712 and that’s a complicated watch. But if the factories really need to focus on this model we will have a decent rep. Obviously it wouldn’t be as thin as gen but unlike you thickness doesn’t bother me and I highly doubt it would be 15mm thick.

Last edited:

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
No I’m not kidding, It can be repped..they can put a miyota movement in there and the moonphase would be an am/pm indicator just like Rod said. obviously without all the complications the same way they repped the 5712 and that’s a complicated watch. But if the factories really need to focus on this model we will have a decent rep. Obviously it wouldn’t be as thin as gen but unlike you thickness doesn’t bother me and I highly doubt it would be 15mm thick.

With a Miyota 9100 and some deco plates on top it could be easily around 11mm