• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus Comparison PF vs. MKF

glee79

9/3/17
Just an FYI, i got my PF yesterday and most markers is not alligned with the minut dots, but we are talking about 0.3-0.5mm it needs to be moved...
I want to do it, but not at any cost.

The only day to day complaint i would have (been wearing it for 1 day): Is the bracelet:
Its a bit lesser quality then the rest, and the rest is SUPERB.
The fliplock is to sharp around the edges (not sharp like a problem, but noticable if you feel/look for it).

Reactions: soni04al

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
in all QC's i've seen, all markers are wrong... SO I purchased one, so that means I need a modder to allign all markers, do a service, install 2X aAR. Anyone know anyone who's capable of this?

Spongebob can do this for you he will perform same for me. 2Xar in not something id do...

superwatch57

Known Member
4/12/16
Spongebob can do this for you he will perform same for me. 2Xar in not something id do...

I did a search for Spongebob and couldn't find him in the system. I rejected 3 QC's because of crooked markers. I want one of these so can someone post his full handle.

glee79

9/3/17
c8675ccb2a31a11f03bf8cd0265de146.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

This is the view you have in real life. Ill give you 100usd if you could spot a crooked 12o clock from this distance and in movement.

mrwatermelon

Looking Around
29/4/16
How close is the dial color to the gen? I'm asking because Godfathar's epic thread mentioned that no rep came close and therefore suggested sticking to the white dial instead. Does this still hold true?

Reactions: vcappp

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
How close is the dial color to the gen? I'm asking because Godfathar's epic thread mentioned that no rep came close and therefore suggested sticking to the white dial instead. Does this still hold true?

The pf and mk4 are comparable to gen and much better than the BP versions

Reactions: vcappp

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
I recently purchased the PF version. Is realigning the indices something that a watchrepair person could do? On mine, the six o clock marker slightly covers the word Swiss.

watchyourwrist

Horology Curious
24/7/17
I believe the title says it all. I placed an order with TD as soon as I saw the PF release, and bought a watch from Hokage last week for this comparison.

The photo that I'll use as a reference is here
RKlLgZa.jpg

SXnxWI6.jpg

Now onto my pictures

628RrMT.jpg

z5bZRU0.jpg

VEZfDye.jpg

First the dial.
Now this is a very unfair fight, because the MK Nautilus I got had 2AR xtal installed. However, I would say that the dial colour is damn good. As long as you install a 2AR xtal into the PF, it will be just as good as MK.
Both watches have that deep blue, and the aura look, that is a bit darker around the side and more blue in the center.

DW
I would say one point for the MK, since they got the window more filled up, more gen size font. But personal opinion, I think the Nautilus' font size is a bit too big, so I actually prefer the PF look. It also fills up the window nicely. Without the side by side comparison I don't think it looks awkward or anything. Definitely not a deal breaker.

9BFfYVe.jpg

5Y1DwMj.jpg

Case Construction
Since I don't have the gen watch with me, so the case comparison is strictly between two reps.

Now these two photos are two watches directly on top of each other. Can't really see the bottom behind right? I think so. So no difference here.

lIdj3Zn.jpg

kOvVbDA.jpg

uaJ40uI.jpg

e4KklFb.jpg

0FYJyVs.jpg

U9kVexK.jpg

Thickness
Now this is the sad part for the MKF. Before I received the PF, I didn't really mind the thickness of the MKF, and people kept talking about how it is big and thick.
But as you can see in the photo, when compared to the PF, it is like a fat granny beside a top model.
My apologies that I do not have the exact measurement tool, so I cannot give a precise actual thickness, but as shown in the picture, because the gen Nautilus is so thin, the MKF's extra thickness seems like a tumor sticking out of no where.

So yeah, if thickness is super important to you, it can be a deal breaker.

Deco plate
I won't comment too much on this. As we all know, if you're into rep, don't ask for too much. Just here to show some pics.

eUw4siP.jpg

qBGnMkF.jpg

KAtgt9T.jpg

Engravings
The bracelet engravings look just about the same to me, so won't say much on that as well

Movement
MKF uses A2824, PF uses Miyota 9015.
Need I to say more?

PF

Bracelet
Now this is another unfair fight. Because the MKF I got is an used watch, it is expected that the bracelet will be a bit more worn out. Therefore overall, the PF bracelet feels much more solid than the MKF. In the picture above, MKF bracelet occasionally has that big gap in between links which not present in PF.

Also when laid flat, PF bracelet seems much smoother.

Now they both feel very nice and comfortable on the wrist, I'd say partly because of the MKF had a shave mod, since we all know the infamous MKF bracelet fly up end link. However, PF bracelet is very good out of box.

LVU8VWn.jpg

Y0sH49Z.jpg

MKF on the left, PF on the right, gen on the bottom

Clasp
MKF has a much looser feel to the clasp, not too loose that you scare it might unclasp, but definitely not as hard as PF. Honestly never had the gen, so won't comment on that either. But I personally do not like the Nautilus clasp design, so don't think gen will be much better.

In terms of the look, PF is closer to gen on logo size and prettiness. But it is not as deeply engraved as gen or MKF.

Also MKF has 2 link or screw head that's sticking out, which is not gen like as well.

fAVyCcB.jpg

MKF on the left, PF on the right

Lume:
Both under direct sun light for about 15~20 seconds. MKF lume is decent because of the 2AR xtal, but PF definitely got much stronger lume in it.

WsCxbkG.jpg

9zaEEAT.jpg

Lastly, a nice wrist shot.

To be honest, these two feel just as nice on the wrist, and even though people can find 10000 things that is wrong with them, who are we kidding, $500~ for a nice decent looking Nautilus to play with?

I'm not saying that we should not pay attention to the detail or ignore the little imperfections, of course we want them to be better than better, but in the end, we buy these watches to have fun, and if they give us enough fun, then it is money well spent. :)

just want to ask, how did you install the 2x ar xtl on the pf?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Great and very unbiased review. Stickied.

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
I received the blue PF about 30minutes ago, I was very lucky (I guess) because all my markers are straight. Only 'problem' I have that the rotor is noisy, really noisy. Any way to make it silent, or at least less noisy? Vaseline on the bearings?

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
I received the blue PF about 30minutes ago, I was very lucky (I guess) because all my markers are straight. Only 'problem' I have that the rotor is noisy, really noisy. Any way to make it silent, or at least less noisy? Vaseline on the bearings?

Yes, there's plenty of threads on here dedicated to silencing the rotor. You've got to take the back off and drop some oil in the rotor bearing. If you don't feel confident to do it yourself then contact a watchsmith to do it for you. It's reasonably inexpensive to have them do it

watchyourwrist

Horology Curious
24/7/17
I have a question, for the 2AR for the PF, where did you do it, how did you do it, and how much will it cost you? do we need to remove the crystal too or just apply the 2 AR coating?

charlesblack

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/7/18
Thanks for the review! And I guess you're right, but I'd like to see a better Nautilus at this price range. It's such a beautiful and iconic watch.